Howard: Man Utd vs. Arsenal 10/24

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by IMOX77, Oct 24, 2004.

1. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Howard on the bench

I jacked this from redcafe
    [​IMG]
    Heres hoping Viera elbows Carroll in the head off a corner, knocks him out with a concussion within the first ten minutees. Tim comes in and saves the day robbing Henry brilliantly 3 or more times. Man Utd wins 2-0. Tim earns the #1 spot back.

We can always hope :)

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Some of us will hope instead that Carroll concedes six goals and is replaced next week.

3. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yea, but im trying to look at it as someone thats want to see Man Utd win

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Arse better pick it up then, 0-0, at the half.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Listening to the radio feed, it sounds like Carroll has had 2 or 3 quality saves.

6. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney earns a pk for Manure.

RVN beats Lehman.

1-0, Man U

7. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RVN!!! RVN!!! RVN!!!!

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Boy Wonder ends Arse's unbeaten run.

2-0.

Its a final.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Well there goes Timmy's chance of getting back the starting job. DOH!

10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I still have faith in Roy Carroll's ability to mess up. :)

Funny thing -- I watched D.C. United play the MetroStars last night, and I saw Nick Rimando make a key save on a free kick. Afterwards, several reports talked about what a big save it was. Of course, he punched it down in the box.

Great play for that game at that time, but if he'd made the same play with a opposing player in the right place in the dying minutes of a Champions League game ... well, you see where I'm going with this.

It's tough to tell what Fergie has in mind with his nefarious plots. After reading the classless b.s. he spewed forth all week leading up to this game, I'm not sure I trust him.

It'll never happen, but believe me, I'd love to see Tim Howard at Arsenal instead.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    And on an unrelated note, any chance of you coming up to NYC and being a guest speaker at my journalism class on a Monday morning or a Wednesday afternoon? :p

12. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    another off topic question. i always wondered if that article written about utds first pre-season tour of the States was a joke was it?

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has always been Sir Alex's modus operandi. The man is nefarious. ;)

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think Timmy is cooked at ManU. I wish it were not true, but once SAF loses faith in someone it does not usually come back.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Tim is completly different. He's still developing. how many chances did Diego Forlan get? How does David Bellion continue to get chances?

Tim is fine where he is.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    It was serious but with some comic overstatement. Didn't I say something about RVN not wanting to be embarrassed by MLS goalkeepers? I mean, MLS has a lot of good keepers, but the thought of Ruud begging team management to keep him from facing anyone (with the possible exception of Dema Kovalenko or Joe Franchino) is so silly that I can't believe anyone took it seriously.

Just tell them not to tick off Man U fans unless they have a lot of time to kill answering e-mail.

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Haha. I guess I'll take that as a NO then. :p Do you happen to have any contacts up North perhaps?

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This quote was attributed to Fergie on the ManU board:

"Without doubt Tim has marvellous ability. What we want to do is get him through this period. He needs to improve on his authority and experience."

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beau, to be fair, that wasn't Tim's only gaffe.

I wonder if the mistake against Porto would be less notorious if Porto hadn't gone on to win the CL? Cuz ManU fans and management have to be thinking, that could have been us.

20. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003
    strange thing is that bellion actually scored goals and got some points for utd. Howard on the other hand had his part in some mistakes and utd dropping some points. If carroll wasnt doing so well now id understand people saying howards finished but not as things stand now and so early in the season.

Beau

it was blown up abit and its fair to say it wasnt well received but i never saw any response to the criticism (maybe thats my fault).

21. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The funny thing about the next couple of days -- when I opened my e-mail in the morning, I always had a lot from folks in England because of the time difference, and it was generally quite amusing. They knew how to take the column, and they usually responded with some good-humored assaults on my sanity.

As the day wore on, the stream of mail would switch to the Americans -- "you suck, your a ****ing moron (some would say "wanker" in an effort to appear more English than they are), why dont you stick with stuupid baseball you looser ..."

Not a good commentary on our country.

On the flipside, it wasn't a good commentary on England to read some of the ignorant garbage the English press has cranked out about Howard and Tourette's.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    soccernet has an article up with that quote and some others from Tim.

Howard keeps the faith at Man Utd

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    to my recollection, Bellion has never scored a game-winning or tie-forging goal. That said, the kid has a lot of talent. And Sir Alex should be commended for sticking with him.

I'd also like to point out thats its a lot easier to pick on a keeper for mistakes. Sure Timmy makde mistakes that gave up goals but how many bad touches by Bellion squandered goal scoring chances?

24. laddi

laddi New Member

May 7, 2003

no he hasnt exactly scored a game winner. but he scored the first one vs norwich (which probably would have turned into a everton, birmingham type game) and bolton last minute. maybe more but thats all i remember now. He seems quite good at getting in good positions and quite decent at finishing which is quite strange when he wasnt exactly bought due to that.

timmy will come back in better shape and in a team with a better defence. He was taken out just before rio so you could say it was unfair but who knows maybe a goal like the one liverpool scored could have been too hard to take for him?

Beau I would have thought the english would have been more hostile. All i can say is that on the espn soccernet board (had people from all over but alot of brits) you werent popular. And yeah their tabloids havent got a decent bone in their body.

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    yea I've been a guy who's been critical of Bellion. But he's a much improved player these days.

I think Timmy was taken out a bit too late actually. He was making some BAD mistakes and you could tell that the defense in front of him was having trouble having confidence in Timmy.

personally, I think getting benched was the best thing that could have happened to Howard. Like you said, who knows how he would have responded to the Dippers' goal