Howard/Keller: Manchester United v. Southampton, 12-4 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Dec 3, 2004.

1. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholes gets robbed by Keller...rebound goes to Ronaldo who blows the easy goal by putting it over the crossbar. Keller is easily keeping this game from being 4-0, 5-0...

Well Ronaldo doesn't miss that one...its 3-0...

LB...

2. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 Ronaldo gets his finally.

Ronaldo crosses to Neville who hits back to Ronaldo who buries it past Keller who looks like he's watching a tennis match.

Nothing to fault from Keller there (so says the commentary team).

3. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller stops another sharp shot from Rooney and sheperds it out for a corner.

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like Keller is having a great day, his defense isn't.

5. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Can't complain. He showed well in front of an international TV audience, wasn't to fault on any of the goals, from my viewpoint.

3-0 fulltime.

6. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for those with interest in the other end of the pitch. Carroll had a quiet day, but i was impressed with how well he commanded his area and how he distributed the ball today. He looked more confident today than in just about any of the games I've seen him play.

One of his outlet throws to Ronaldo even rated a "Schmeichel-like" from one of the commentators. Could it be that Carrol also saw this as his "transfer showcase" or at least his chance to show his class ahead of a contract re-negotiation with ManUtd.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com...8&CLID=&lid=2&title=UNITED+STROLL+PAST+SAINTS
    From Sky Sports:

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If this performance doesn't earn Keller interest from other EPL clubs during the transfer window, then nothing will.

Here's predicting another manager sees the footage and says "that's a guy that can help us" A) avoid relegation, B) move up for a UEFA spot or, C) earn promotion to the Premiership.

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    This has been a very good loan move for Kasey.

He's played well for the Saints, and shown his quality for potential suitors.
    I still don't think he'll play when he returns to Tottenham, but I think he will now have many more options than he would have 1 month ago.

Salt Lake City may have to wait a year for him.

Good for Kasey!

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Well, SAF had a birds-eye view of Keller today and if Carroll doesn't sign the new contract, I could see Keller step right in at OT and provide the services United need.

11. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you being serious?

12. beergod

beergod New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    GA
    smoking crack is bad for you

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Keller will still likely be a #2 but a very good #2 at a very good club with a very good salary.

Of course, he's always been an excellent shot stopper, which makes him shine for weaker teams like Southampton when a big'un rips their defense apart.

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Yep.

United don't need an all-world goalkeeper. They need someone who is reliable and composed...which is why Carroll has done well for them this year and Howard hasn't. Should Carroll leave, Keller could easily do the job.

15. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    no way. I looked all over the package and saw no warning...

Nice quote by Keller at the end of the article about keping an eye on Soton's results for the rest of the season.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Yes, but if they have the money to spend, why wouldn't they?

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I can't imagine why Manchester United would go after Keller.

Keller is not among the best keepers in the world right now, and that's the only type that ManU would look for to replace their current duo.
    I'm not bashing Keller who is still good... but just my opinoin...

I saw the highlights from the game today on FSW... and while Keller had some nice stops, I didn't see any truly amazing stops. The best I saw was the one on Rooney. He was good, but I didn't see anything supernatural.

Definitely enough to pique interest from other clubs, but likely not one of those fighting for Euro places.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's kind of cool to see a player start for his new club without a need to be "bloodied" first in a training camp or a slew of friendlies. You come in, you put on your kit (or "uniform" for the EPL lingo averse) and off you go.

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And I have the jail record to prove it!