Howard/Keller: Manchester United v. Southampton, 12-4 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Dec 3, 2004.

1. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match preview from Football 365:
    http://www.football365.com/matches_stats/match_previews/story_135900.shtml

Looks like while there is an outside chance of both Yank keepers playing, it will probably be neither.

Goalkeeper Tim Howard is also pushing for a first team recall after recording a clean sheet against Arsenal.

However Ferguson looks likely to keep faith with Roy Carroll when Southampton visit Old Trafford as United chase their fourth straight league victory.

Howard told MUTV: "There is no malice involved. I don't wish harm on anyone. But of course I want to get back in the team as quickly as I can. You look around and we are fortunate to have such a deep squad.

"Other teams are spending so much money, which is fair, but we have something like 25 internationals. It is a difficult to crack but it makes for healthy competition."

Niemi is in contention to replace on-loan Tottenham goalkeeper Kasey Keller while James Beattie is fit after a calf strain and defender Claus Lundekvam has overcome a virus.

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Re: 12/4 Man Utd v Southampton

On SkySports last night they had interviews with Niemi (sp?) and Wigley. Both of them seemed to give the impression that Keller would sit, although both claimed that the decision had not been made.

Really, why would the Saints start Keller if there isn't that big a difference between him and Niemi? Keller is gone in a few weeks. OTOH, Manchester United is not a team you want to face with a rusty keeper.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

On the bottom left of that page, there's a "popularity contest" of who the fans think is the best #2 GK in the EPL. Among the twelve mentioned names are the two Yanks: Howard and Keller, along with Cudicini, Wright, Crossley, Enckelmann, et al.

And a good #2 can still make pretty good money there.

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

Yeah, I saw that this morning and was bit surprised that Keller wasn't getting many votes...also surprised to see Howard getting a lot of votes.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Howard is #2 with 12% after the runaway leader Cudicini (56%) as of the time of this post. I am surprised Crossley hadn't done better but both Tim and Carlo are last year's starters.

I myself voted for Keller.

7. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saints fans website also leaning towards Keller starting

"Antti Niemi is close to full fitness and might even make the starting line up, although its more likely he'll be on the bench and Keller will play in what should be his last game for Saints as his loan spell is up next week."

http://www.saintsforever.com/latest.html

8. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Keller does start, Howard on the pine.

Man Utd: Carroll, G, Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Smith

Subs: Howard, Brown, Bellion, Miller, Fletcher

Southampton: Keller, Nilsson, Jakobsson, Lundekvam, Le Saux, Telfer, Delap, A, Svensson, Higginbotham, Beattie, Phillips

9. georgewee

georgewee New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Asia
    looks like Spector doesn't even make the bench again, I guess none of us are surprised or upset anymore. The poor kid seems stuck in limbo between the reserves and the bench, God knows he's got to endure this another 2 or 3 seasons? It's retarding his further development. Hope the loan to WBA goes thru, or better still he gets sold to a non top 5 EPL side where he may have a more realistic chance of getting meaningful & competitive PT
    As for this match, Kasey, we are all behind you, keep a clean sheet & may Carroll and the MU defence let in as many shots as you save!

10. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    " Thunderbolt from Rooney saved well by Kellar ".

That from a manu chat room. Still 0-0 late in the 1st half.

11. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Halftime. Sky had Keller doing well with a few United chances.

12. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first 35 minutes were pretty quiet and routine for Kasey but ManUtd has started to break down the Saints defense with some good combinations. Kasey's had a few bright spots in the first half.

1. a punch on a dangerous corner
    2. a good job of coming off his line to cut off a cross when Ronaldo and Smith were both lurking at the back post.
    3. Held a hard shot by Heinze from distance with several Reds knocking at the door
    4. Excellent diving save to parry a screamer from Rooney. On the camera angle behind the goal, it was clear Keller was screened but his reflexes were fast enough to still make the save.

Good first half in the shop window. Unless the Saints defense returns to early game form, expect more opportunities for Keller to shine in the second half.

And for those waiting on another Roy Carroll blunder, he has looked very sharp on the few occassions when Southampton has gotten forward and seems to be communicating very well with Ferdinand and the rest of the backline.

13. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    The BBC matchtracker commentary jibes with this. Man U dominating possession but not creating as many scoring chances as they'd like to.

Keep them out of the net, Kasey! You're halfway to earning a shutout at Old Trafford.

Any one have any free audio links for this? The BBC ones don't seem to be working for me.

14. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    United takes the lead. Scrum in the box, put away by somebody--didn't catch the name.

15. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal to ManUtd.

Horrible defending by Southampton leads to 4 or 5 touches for ManUtd in the area before finally getting a header from Scholes for the goal.

Keller couldn't have done much with the ManUtd attackers playing "who wants to shoot" in front of his net.

16. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Scholes makes it 1-0 on a header..

52 mins into the second half.

Audio: 1054centuryfm.com
    (you will have to sign up but its free.)

LB...

Edit: Goal was scored in the 53rd min.

17. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Crud. So much for the shutout. Don't know about the odds for a Southampton equalizer.

Thanks for the link LB. I actually found the Century FM thru socceraudio.com and didn't need to sign in, but didn't get on until after the goal.

As I type, 2-0 Rooney scores into the roof of the net over Keller in a 1-v-1.

18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal Man United!!!

2-0 on a goal by Wayne Rooney.

LB...

19. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 ManUtd

Rooney gets in 1 v 1 with Keller who races off the line to cut the angle down but Rooney smashes the ball into the top of the net. Excellent finishing.

20. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great save from Keller keeps the scoreline 2-0.

"As good a save as you'll see anywhere. Terrific bit of goalkeeping" says the commentator.

Edit: More details on the save.

Ronaldo was setup for a free kick 20 yards out at the top right corner of Keller's area. He hit a sharply bending, bouncing shot through a couple of screens. Heinze made a great dummy off the bounce but Keller wasn't fooled by it and his dive to the left allowed just enough of a touch to steer the ball wide.

21. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholes cheekily tries to chip Keller who is off his line but Kasey backpedals and pushes the ball over the crossbar.

22. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone wants to see Kellers heroic saves or the Man United goals, FSW will show this game on Tuesday at 8:00 pm ET, Wednesday at 2:00 am ET and Thursday at 3:00 pm ET.

Scholes almost makes it 3-0 on a chip...Keller knocks it over for a corner.

LB...

23. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Keller sounds like a beast today.................seems like he knows he needs to show what he can do.

I've always thought Kasey was one of the better keepers around, as do many of us here at BS, but many in Europe don't think so. For a guy who has done well in both England and Spain, you would think more clubs, and even some of the big ones, would have been interested in him, but they weren't.

It's obvious he can still play at the top level. It's a shame he has to go back to the pine at Tottenham. I hope something works out for him. He would be great for MLS, but the guy still can play at the top level in England and I think he wants to prove that. It always seems like Kasey is trying to prove himself, does it, and then nobody that counts notices it.

24. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller stops a sharp shot which falls to Ronaldo 6 yards out. Keller scrambles to his feet and tries to make himself "big" as Ronaldo skies the shot over.

This following a 2 v. 1 where Giggs hits the crossbar.