PBP: Howard, Donovan: Everton @ Arsenal, 1/9/2010[R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by appoo, Jan 8, 2010.

1. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    players coming into the Prem (no matter how much they cost) rarely make an immediate impression... and coming off 6 weeks without a serious game, that is even more impressive...

4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing you have to remember, and you have to read between the lines a little bit, is that this loan is sort of LD's way of garnering interest and beginning to prove to Euro clubs, who might be skeptical given his track record in Germany, that he's worth the money MLS will ask for him. I don't think this was really intended to be situation where Everton would buy him at the end of the loan, the option isn't there as he's contracted to the Galaxy. But if he continues to play well in this loan, and has a great WC, I think there will be a number of offers over the summer than MLS will have to pay attention to. Everton might be one of those but I suspect the price tag might be a bit high for them. From LD's perspective, the worst that can happen is he goes back to his fat new contract with his home town club that he's said he's happy at. Pretty good situation.

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longest gameday thread ever?

6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I think it may be looking too far ahead so I'm hesitant to really put a jinx on things. But the way I see it, if he does do well at the end of the loan I wouldn't be too surprised if Everton made the attempt to have it extended like some other clubs have done with these situations in the past., to the end of the season. If it's legal and an option, it'd be difficult to blame them for trying. Granted, MLS would probably decline this but I wouldn't be surprised if it came up - should the player get better, more fit, contribute more, etc. etc. And even from Donovan's perspective, that could be a good build up to the WC as well should he stay healthy. Maybe that's the key to all of it.

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    wait until Adu's debut with Aris, if he doesn't flop.

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. Everything was set up for Donovan: got a (somewhat) unexpected start, all the other games were cancelled, top opponent, broadcast on tv, and an abundance of internet streams. Even with all the help from our new Greek contingent, I don't think Adu can get anywhere near that type of exposure, therefore unable to create a thread with so much input as this one.

9. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Adu he doesn't even have to play to get 1000 posts, all teeth gnashing and insults. Lovely stuff, great threads to ignore.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is next week's game v. Man City on FSC? Jeesh I hope so....those streams today were driving me crazy.

11. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes hadn't thought of that...I suspect you're right about MLS saying no though.

12. davenport+10

davenport+10 Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yea it is...12:30 eastern time

13. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    One of the few pundits on either side of the Atlantic that I listen to. Good to hear.

14. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone have a link to video of Donovan's best chance on goal? wasn't able to watch.

15. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game at a local pub, came back here expecting to see all hell breaking loose, but am pleasantly surprised to see that most folks are in general agreement about LD's performance and the discussion has stayed pretty civil (with the exception of a few knuckleheads of course).

And I'm glad to see most folks rating LD's game positively. I admit that my rating is a little less positive, with a few very positive moments (the corner of course), along with some tentative play and difficulty getting on the same page with his teammates (which is very understandable given the circumstances: new team, weather, opponent, etc.). But I'm probably being a little too critical.

I definitely agree with the folks saying he needs to get stuck in more on defense, although I it's a little harsh to fault him for his header that preceeded the first Arsenal goal. I thought he did well to react and move quickly to the ball and get a decent amount of power on it; it would have been nice if he could have hit more towards the outside, but given the angle he came at the ball I think he did OK and was unlucky that it went straight to an Arsenal player.

16. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Yanks Abroad

Yanks Abroad Member

Aug 30, 2009
  18. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TheJester525

TheJester525 Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Bay Area
    [​IMG]

I would swear this was photoshopped if had not seen it live this morning. Way to get stuck in.

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
  23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey we know SA's WC will be in winter.... any chance whatsoever of snow there? (if it ever does?)

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like LD cramped up a bit around the 60-65 minute mark (Moyes said he told Donovan he would have kept him on the field longer if not for that). Will be nice to see Landon gain more fitness in the next few weeks and see if his performance improves even more.

25. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States