How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's logical, Manchester United are at about Leipzig level at their best. What's your point? That Bayern is lightyears ahead of the Premier League 2nd placed team?

I know you're trying to construct an argument for La Liga goals being tougher to score than Bundesliga goals, but wouldn't that mean Messi is above Benzema considering that he outscored him?

2. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    #11677 Varnagel, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Benzema and Kane scored same amount of league goals (23 each).

The difference is Kane don't have Messi as a rival for scoring most league goals.

3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    An additional difference is that one of them is on vacation right now.

4. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    No argument is that no one cares about how many goals you score in a second rate league.

I was very clear about that from the beginning. No matter how much I enjoy watching Bundesliga or Ligue; the stats you put up there don't mean shit when stacked up against EPL and La Liga.

Same goes for the titles.

5. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    So now it's not a team sport? Lol come on man.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We were discussing Balon d'Or chances. Individual award.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Uh... the post I quoted is you attempting to shade Benzema for his team being knocked out while praising Kane for his still being in..

I have argued for Benzema's individual brilliance and consistency over multiple competitions. You have thrown shade on Benzema by making it about his team's results.

That shouldn't matter if you truly believed what you're saying.

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So if the Balon d'Or should go to the best player regardless of team results, why should somebody who didn't individually rank st the top of any category win it?

9. yoanaidarov

yoanaidarov Member+

Real Madrid
    Bulgaria
    Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    The Balon d’Or is a popularity contest, we all know Messi is winning it this year, it’s foolish to
    believe Lewandowski or Benzema have a chance, regardless of their individual or team achievements.

10. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Messi has 42 goals and 16 assists for Barcelona and Argentina (Copa America) this season. Him winning would be perfectly fine as the best player in the world just like Ron won in 2013 although he had only Supercopa to his name as collective trophy. Should be between Messi and Lewa imo. Lewa got injured during the crucial point of the season unfortunately for him.

11. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Messi is still the best player in the world unfortunately

Crazy what he and Ronaldo can do at these ages

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  12. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Well because it's not only about stats... it's your performance and Benzema had the weakest club with the worst support yet was able to be consistent the entire season. For France he was again consistently great.

Stop hating using different strawman

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So Suarez scoring as many goals as Benzema and winning the Championship with an arguably worse squad around him had a better season and should be considered for the Balon d'Or?

Is the Balon d'Or going to become a "well all these irrelevant facts considered Benzema is the best despite others doing better under the same circumstances" award?

Lyra and Cosmin10 repped this.
  14. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Atleti had far superior attack & better defense (Oblak gives them the edge) compared to Real Madrid. Never mind that Simeone even build a a proper offense around Suarez to maximize him. There is no point for Atleti sitting deep near their penalty area and firing a long ball forward for a Suarez who ain't mobile anymore. So I wouldn't say Suarez had worse squad than Benzema who did.more with less.

Atletico de Madrid with 67 LaLiga goals

- Luis Suarez: 21 goals (31% of Atleti's total goal production)
    - Marcos Llorente: 12 goals (18%)
    - Ángel Correa: 8 goals (12%)
    - João Félix: 7 goals (10%)
    - Yannick Carrasco: 6 goals (9%)

Real Madrid with 67 LaLiga goals

- Karim Benzema: 23 goals (34% of Real Madrid's total goal production)
    - Casemiro: 6 goals (9%)
    - Luka Modrić: 5 goals (7%)
    - Marco Asensio: 5 goals (7%)
    - Sergio Ramos: 3 goals (4%)
    - Eden Hazard: 3 goals (4%)
    - Toni Kroos: 3 goals (4%)
    - Federico Valverde: 3 goals (4%)
    - Vinícius Júnior: 3 goals (4%)

15. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Did Suarez carry his form consistently all season? How did he do in the Copa?

Oh and LOL at atleti having a worse attack. Benzema played for a side where if he didn't score we were basically dropping points.

Benzema was our only hope in CL and La Liga. Same could be said for France because the moment he went off injured they were dead in the water.

16. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Real Madrid wouldn't even qualify for Champions League in the past 3 seasons if Benzema got a long-term injury,

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We were dumped out of the copa by a third division team, is this a serious question?

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's absolute nonsense.

19. DoughB

DoughB Member

Real Madrid
    Oct 26, 2020
    Barca ended third in la liga behind us again, after being behind us last season winning the title, with Benz as best in Spain. Messi wasn't performing better than Benz this season either with all the injuries and no scoring output from his partners, that's why they handed POTY award to Oblack.

Weakest Ballon D'or for Messi

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I remember us having lost the title and passign the ball to Ronaldo is the final few meaningless games relentlessly to boost his numbers for a pichichi/Balon d'Or campaign, but now it's not about the numbers.

I don't think there's anybody that doesn't support Real Madrid that will make a conclusive argument for Benzema being the best player of the year.

He was fantastic for us, but the team sucked for large periods of time. It's like giving it to Ibisevic back when Hoffenheim were doing well.

21. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So your saying that despite playing in a team with tactics that prevented him from playing to his strengths and performing at his highest level Suarez still put up almost identical numbers to Benzema and was the best player on the title winning team.

Just imagine how much better Suarez would be with better tactics, after reading your post it's almost undeniable Suarez deserves to win an individual award over Benzema.

22. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    You asking if I'm serious but you're bringing up a nothing trophy competition no one cares about unless they want to attack Madrid or minimize our clubs accomplishments.

Okay

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's you that flip flopping from individual records to team records depending on the player. You bring the Copa up, then the Copa doesn't matter, funny. :D

24. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Not really if you're looking on Real Madrid's awful attack (outside Benzema).

I never said that. Don't put your words in my mouth.

A 33-year-old Suarez doesn't fit in Atleti's old defensive system due to lack of pace. They could do that before with Grizezmann, Falcao, Diego Costa etc. whom all had pace. It's why Simeone has changed his tactics to a more attacking football to play on Suarez's strenghts.

Btw, Oblak is Atleti's best player and it's not even close lol.

25. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    You have flip flopped so many times I have lost count. I never brought up the Copa. You did.

When you get like this debating or discussing with you is futile.