How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can argue all you want, if it was somebody else that didn't have Florentino's complete protection, he would've been sold on like 4 occasions. More protected than Cristiano which is sad.

Lyra repped this.
  2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I do too.

It's what kept him from being one of the greatest. He however is still a legend and it's insulting to say otherwise then double down by saying he isn't in the realm of other Madrid greats.

Cristiano and messi really warped things.

So badly we have hoards of this forum thinking Cristiano's goals were easy to replace and wanted him out. We had our president not really protect him (yet protects Bale the most I have ever seen).

Benzema scores like Ruud, Raul and others before him. Inconsistently.

hala_madrid722 repped this.
  3. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    Not really, especially if you play next to CR7 & Prime Bale for most of your career as 3rd wheel.

If Benzema wanted to prove himself as one of the best ever, he would've left Real Madrid. However, he preferred winning titles as a support player instead of being the main guy elsewhere.

Which is why Higuain left Real Madrid to prove himself.

Benzema was a massively integral part of Real Madrid's offense in 2010s decade. The man has nearly 240 goals and 100+ assists despite being 2nd/3rd wheel for most of his career. Also, his impact goes way beyond merely box metrics.

If anything, Real Madrid's lackluster defense is the reason why they only won 2 LaLiga titles.

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    An automatic starter over the course of about a decade isn't a support player, he's a pillar of the team. I'll continue that thought later.

Higuain was already proven, he just wanted to play every match just like any other top player would.

You can make that claim, but while Benzema has been here, that defense has seen different variations, coaches and players, while Benzema has remained a constant.

So if we have a consistent result created by multiple factors, which factor are we going to consider as more crucial to this consistent result, the one that has changed over a longer period, or the one that has remained consistent throughout?

RMSocrates, Ahmadi8 and temesgen repped this.
  5. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Correct, fairly simple for me, some others were great great players for Madrid, but Legendary, yeah those two.

6. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    a good player, maybe in other circumstances or another team he would be consider a legend, but:
    1. (and to his defense): was never a true striker, yet expected to score as one.
    2. cried to Perez until pipita was kicked out
    3. was lazy pretty much in the first half of his career. no wonder the crowd did not like him in those days.
    4. a legend is someone that is a leader, that can get the the whole team rallied behind and fight until the last minute. that was never benzema. just doesn't have the mentality for that.
    5. lets not forget all the things he was involved early on, sleeping with underage hooker, blackmailing team mates in NT, kicked out of NT. That's not the stuff legends are made of.

Chinky24 repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Those are two of the best ever.

If your conditions to be a legend of Madrid is that you have to be one of the best ever then Madrid in your estimation only has three.

Shay Z repped this.
  8. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Like @Shay Z said definitely not what I was saying.

Some people will revere players they haven't seen play because after you retire people only remember your good moments. Raul after 2004 was never the same dor 6 seasons and it was frustrating seeing him every week, but if all you have seen of him are youtube highlights and wikipedia awards lists you would think he was Raul of 2001 in his entire 17 year career here. Point is, Karim had good and bad moments just like all the other legends who have played before him, but since we have to see him play we still see the good and bad, compared to our fantasies of EL Buitre and Puskas.

Shay Z repped this.
  9. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I don’t think only three.

Puskas, di Stefano, both Ronaldo’s, Gento, Roberto Carlos, Zidane are all imo legitimate candidates for an all-time 11 (depending on how you set up the team).

Benzema isn’t on that level but he was an excellent forward when on form, and has been a great servant for the club.

People comparing him to Ruud are missing the point that Ruud was possibly the best target man style forward in history.

Ahmadi8 and temesgen repped this.
  10. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    It's a heads I win, tales you lose approach to analysis. No matter the outcome it's going to result in someone else's fault.

11. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  12. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Unreal the f*ckin bullsh*t I used to read around here.

“If cristiano leaves we’ll player better football and score more goals overall”

FOH

13. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    "I can't wait till Cristiano is gone, we'll finally be free of him forcing us to play through him!"

"We will play beautiful possession football instead of this overly direct ans counter shit"

"Christiano kills talented players like Isco. When he leaves Isco will blossom, definitely WPOTY talent"

Ahaha

hala_madrid722 repped this.
  14. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    unreal

15. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1244359626973470720 is not a valid tweet id

Confirmed quote on his Instagram live

Shay Z, lukita and hala_madrid722 repped this.
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's not wrong though.

17. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thats WC winner Giroud for you Karim.

18. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fax

19. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When Ronaldo said if my team all played on my level we'd be winning trophies he was also right.

Doesn't mean you should share it.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Benzema and Giroud have been having a bit of a low key rivalry for years now. Some social media and interview darts have been flinged here and there every now and then.

21. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

22. lukita

lukita Member+

Real Madrid
    Aug 13, 2019
    Who is comparing Giroud to Benzema anyways there is absolutely no comparison to be made lmfao. Giroud is a ********ing nobody:ROFLMAO:

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  23. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Maybe he will finally hit the bench after that comment :ROFLMAO:

yoanaidarov and MaxY repped this.
  24. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    He said the truth. I don't know why some people don't like the truth?

Should he have fake humbled like Klopp?

MiamiNative0722 and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  25. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think this has been one of the more balanced posts I can agree with. With all due respect to him, I think servant and on form are the most important words in that sentence. Those words seem to imply something different than icon, legend, and/or relentless/prolific.

Has he done great things for this club? Yes.
    Has he scored very important goals for this club? Yes.
    Has he carried us in certain matches and won trophies for this club? Yes.

Has he done many frustrating things in high-profile games for this club? Yes.
    Does he deserve to be in the all time top 10 of strikers or RM players? No.
    Will he have a stadium, training ground, or some statue or public monument erected/named for him? No.

That being said, he probably deserves more recognition than RvN or Owen or perhaps even arguably R9 due to his contribution, longevity, and sustained contribution year after year. Who knows, RvN was getting old and Owen and R9 were crippled by injuries that cut their RM career short.

Most importantly, do we think him at 32/33 is going to be a better source of trophies for this club than the next big thing? (ie. Mbappe, Haaland, etc) That I definitely do not believe so.

Digital repped this.