How would England fans (and press) react to Almunia getting a cap for England?

Discussion in 'England' started by Elwood, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwood

Elwood New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Just curious, really. It's arguable that Almunia is better (currently) than any English keeper, and I think by the end of the current league season would be eligible, so conceivably could get called in (I think he's better than both Robinson and James, but that the younger English prospects sure look like they WILL be better than him).

How much of an outrage (if any) would a foreigner getting and English cap be? Press and average person reactions similar, or wildly different? Arteta may also be someone that down the road could be eligible (and I think he's equal to, if not marginally better than, Barry).

2. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    almunia for england. i heard he can get his first cap after december. we already have hargreaves, we've had naturalised aussies and south africans in the england football team for donkeys years, and we have very little chance of getting through world cup quarter and semi finals, extra times, penalty shootouts etc with james in the side, even worse, a james that is 2 years older than he is now. robbo has blown it, he will get it back but who knows when, the others have limited experience or education, like kirkland, carson, foster, hart.

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Almunia is shiit and blunder prone.
    The thread starter is probably the type of guy who thinks we should have had Bruce Arena as manager.

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd be very disappointed, he's cack.

5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But Almunia is only eligible because he plays in England, he's here as a worker, he'd be a total ringer. I personally dont think Hargreaves should play for England but I could certainly believe he's fulfilled a childhood dream by doing so, entirely different scenario.

6. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Almunia isn't better than what we've got already, plus we've got a few good young keepers coming through that are better than Almunia already. He'd might be worth the odd cap or two, but if we were goign to start playing naturalized players I think they'd have to be a damn sight better than Almunia.

7. Elwood

Elwood New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Indianapolis

I'm the type of guy who is curious what the reaction of England fans (and media) would be if Almunia got a cap for England. What does Bruce Arena have to do with anything related to England?

8. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Hart (best)
    Green
    Carson
    James
    Foster
    Almunia
    Kirkland
    Robinson (worst)

My personal ranking of the goalkeepers if we include Almunia. And this is a ranking of their present ability, not potential. Did I left out anyone?

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He ain't good enough for Spain. Why would he be good for England?

By the way, there are better 'keepers plying their trade in England.

10. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Hargreaves was born to two English parents. I'm quite happy for him to play for England.

The way I see it is this: if someone has English heritage and is born/lives abroad , but still considers themselves English then who are we to disagree (i.e. Owen Hargreaves). Equally if someone doens't have English heritage but has moved to England and considers themselves English then again who are we to disagree (i.e. John Barnes).

I would have very strong objections to someone like Almunia playing for England for purely professional reasons though, besides which he's shit.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    If it was Buffon or Casillas then it's be worth doing, but there's a reason Almunia wants to play for England. He's not one of Spain's top 3 keepers.

He's no improvement on anything we already have, so a complete waste of time.

12. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    people on here actually think that calamity is as good as the arsenal no 1? james hasnt played for a top club for over ten years, and has never even played a single match in the champions league, plus only a handful of games in the uefa cup cup. he has personally cocked up two fa cup finals for two different clubs, could have made it a hattrick last season but portsmouth only had non league opposition to deal with. his distribution is awful, makes three or four outrageous errors every single game, cant catch corners or crosses, fummbles even delicate passes back, goes on insane runs towards onrushing attackers and never, ever gets anywhere near the ball invariably leaving an open net, and, best of all, will be on the wrong side of 40 by the time of the next tournament. and you put arsenes first choice, arsenals no 1 behind this mong?

there are other good young keepers out there, but clearly capello will be going with experience for his keepers. plus none of them would get into a top 4 side, like almunia has done. its easy to say compared to buffon or casillas almunia doesnt rate particularly high, but it is far higher than any other keeper currently available to england.

one question, if these young english keepers are any good, why is no club in any of europes elite even mildy interested in signing one of them? hart, robbo, carson, kirkland, if they were decent why is there so little interest in them from any big sides? none of englands top sides want them, and none of europes top, middle or bottom sides want them either. and dont say its because they are overpriced. apart from the sunderland keeper who is scottish, english keepers are not going for a particularly high price when they move, unlike the outfield players.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Simply because he's Arsenal's first choice doesn't make Almunia a great keeper. It just means that Arsenal have no one better and that Wenger is too stubborn to pay for a better keeper.

James was actually nominated for the PFA POTY last season, he has been over the last two years outstanding for Portsmouth. Sadly for England his decision making has been terrible.

14. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We don't need Almunia. Extremely over-rated..

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    almunia is just a solid average keeper, better than james imo because his handling of the ball is good and hes not mental like james

id say hed be good enough but hes not a step up from green and foster/hart/kirkland/carson have much more potential

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    btw i mean average compared to the likes of cech/buffon/cassilas

17. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As far as I'm concerned the reason I support England is because I'm English and they are my fellow countrymen, that's the whole point of international sport.

If a team full of foriegn players in England shirts won the world cup I wouldn't see that as England winning it so for me it would defeat the object.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    If a player qualifies for England (and that means both having a British passport and having a nexus with England as opposed to the other "home" countries) then I have no problem with them playing for England. As for Almunia, I really don't think he's better than what we already have. Clearly this is a weak spot for England, but is he really better than Foster and/or Green? A more interesting case would have been Cudicini a few years ago, who I think at that time was better than what we had at that point.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The English sports media would probably hype it up for the lack of other things they have to talk about (with Becks gone and all), but it would hardly be a ground-breaking event as its being done all over the place including England. It's sad how national team football is turning into a lower-quality version of top-level club football.

Next we're going to start seeing these foreign players and managers kissing the badges of their newly "adopted" country after every goal and the hurlfest will be in full-swing.

20. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Almunia has no link to England. He just works here. He was not born in England. He has no English ancestry. He has not married an English woman. He is only here to work. Almunia should not play for England.

21. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    precisely. if i'm going to support a team with spanish players in it then i might as well just support spain - better chance of success.

22. LSLuke88

LSLuke88 New Member

Sep 12, 2008
    i do not think almunia is good enough so we wouldnt need him, james/robinson will do until carson or hart show they are good enough to become englands first choice

23. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't want him. I don't even consider Hargreaves English, never mind Almunia.

24. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Almunia doesnt know how to cover the near post. Witness the idiot goals he conceded in the champions league final versus Barfalona.

25. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we were going to naturalise someone, it would be a better player and with a stronger link to England than this. Cudicini would have been an interesting one, but that one has passed and Almunia is not on his level.

Hopefully Foster gets some first team football and Hart keeps growing, that will hopefully be enough. All we really need is someone who won't make silly mistakes, the defence takes care of the rest, we're not a team that really needs a keeper to make spectacular saves to keep us in matches, just do the basics.