how will the revs fair this year (pre-season edition)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by peabrainedidiot, Feb 27, 2009.

1. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just to get a sense. There are plenty of debates already. I'm just curious where everyone is at based on the little bit of current knowledge we have.

2. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even with all of the concerns, i still think they are a cup contender. other than columbus and chicago, i see no other teams without really pressing questions. sure they are both in our conference, but it took massive injuries for us to finally lose to chicago.

sure there are tons of questions for this year, but i still think the nucleus of the team is there, and i'm gonna be positive about growth from some of the young players.:D

3. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As presently constituted, I think they're about a .500 team, I selected that they'll fare in the middle and squeak into the playoffs. I'm still hoping that there's at least one signing in the offing, but the days are counting down....

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is...pretty much anybody can be an MLS Cup Contender. So "squeaking into the playoffs" is the same thing.

Sadly, history shows that up until about September, every team is an MLS Cup Contender until there eliminated from the playoffs.

5. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I'm going to wait until the roster is set before I pass judgment.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: how will the revs fare this year (pre-season edition)

I refuse to vote until a mod fixes the topic title.

7. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    We'll finish fourth in the East behind Columbus, Chicago and Toronto (in no order) and probably bail out in the first round.

8. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think TFC will be better than deadballs?

9. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted in the "don't know" category...because, who knows? ;)

That said, I will be surprised if we make the playoffs this year. Our best attacking talent is fragile [Ralston, Lawrentowicz, Twellman all have serious question marks as to how their health could hold up], our best defender has gone to eat Danish, our keeper is a year older--if wiser-- and we have a Badilla with a boo boo and a Heap of trouble on defense. After this sterling line, we have a bunch of young 'uns who probably are more Thompson than Dempsey. If Stevie can conjure up a playoff team out of this squad, then he is a freakin' football managing genius.... That said, I have put down the $200 and will stand by the Revs until the bitter end.
    Now, time to go practice the downing of the whisky of despair :D

10. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a few bad breaks last year, but we've also lost significant contributors. So my guess is we have a season a lot like KC's last year--very uneven, just enough to make the playoffs. The playoffs are impossible to predict, so I won't speculate on those.

This could change with a signing or a unforeseen rookie breakout, of course, but as of this moment, I'm guessing we go 11-9-10 for 43 points.

11. martinryan13

martinryan13 New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Cape Cod/Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    qft

12. RgAeLrSrTaOrNd

RgAeLrSrTaOrNd New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's fair to make this assumption right now. I've heard only good things about Alston and Vidiera. Alston seems to be getting a lot more positive press early on than Valentino did at this time last year. Of course we won't know a lot about the rookies 'till the season starts, but I'm optomistic about these two.

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Our two biggest offensive threats are a 35-year-old Ralston who was injured at the end of last year and a Twellman who hasn't played in pre-season matches because of lingering concussion issues.

There's only so much spin that can make that central fact, coupled with the lack of any non-draftee signings in the offseason, into anything other than a finish at or near the bottom of the East.

14. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I though about making this poll so you could see how people voted. I kind of wish I had. Judging by the curve, it would have been interesting to see how the constant complainers/negative folks landed vs. the "kool-aid drinkers" and who the rational folks in between were. I often get the sense that while the philosophies of the kool-aid and the constant negative/worrying folks (myself in the later group) are different we're really all a lot closer that in sound like in the way we discuss things.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the poll is set up for expected points for 2009 (a week before the season opener, so two weeks from today) ... I'll set up the poll that way.

16. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool.
    I actually put down miss playoffs. But after reading about the 2 preseson game and the alston/valentino goal, I'm encouraged that these guys will be able to contribute potentially early in the season. I'm still worried about where most of the goals will come from and how solid the D will be, but if I had that knowledge, I may have said squeak in.:confused:

oh well.:cool:

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we'll "squeak" in ... because I think we'll make the playoffs. But I had to pick that one because I don't think we'll go deep into the playoffs either, which is the next option. I think 2009 will end like 2008 did, one and out.

18. peabrainedidiot

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just curious, besides TFC, who else misses in the east iyo?

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not fully sure. I don't think KC makes it in. The other spot will be difficult to figure out. Hell, I think TFC could be a very intriguing team this year.

20. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's going to be like this.

Chicago
    New England
    Columbus
    New York

TFC, DC, and KC miss the playoffs.

I chose MLS Cup contender because we all know all you need to do is get hot at the end of the season. I still believe this team is built for the late run and the schedule (compared to last season) will allow the Revs to get back into this groove. I think it's going to be a typical Revs season where we get hot in the beginning (so the first in July people are happy) fade off a bit, and then storm through the playoffs into another MLS Cup. Of course I hope it's not that typical and we win it this time.

21. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think the three of the four are going to be Fire, Crew, and TFC.

Anyone who writes off TFC are in, I think, for a rude awakening. Dero is going to be their missing link (how fitting), and is going to be the partner that Guevara has always needed to succeed. If Vitti lives up to expectations, and Dichio and that punk Barrett have decent years, they will be scoring in bunches. They also have O'Brian White and Johann Smith coming off the bench. And who are our forwards exactly? Their defense looks a little thin, but Wynne and Serioux are players.

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted----TBD
    but
    I fully expect the team to come home with a four-pack of trophies this year.
    Open Cup---check
    SuperLiga----Check
    Shield---Check
    MLS Cup---Check

Now pass me another glass of Bug Juice

23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To paraphrase the lady dining near Meg Ryan, I'll have whatever he's having.;)

I'd "settle" for one or two of the four!:)

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was "Meathead's" mother in real life....

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    MIchael Stivik!