How was/is Russia?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by MobileBama, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you going to Qatar?

2. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes definitely. If we qualify I will be there as long as we are. If not I will go long enough to see a game in all the stadiums.

3. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The more demand there is the higher they can push prices. If they had had more demand from Europe as well as from China, South America, etc they could have sold more tickets as Cat 1. We know the categorisation of seats is a movable feast depending on demand. If they consistently had more demand then they could increase prices for future World Cups.

World Cup cameramen focus a lot on the crowd for a reason. Viewers want to see colourfully dressed fans from the competing nations at each match. They want to get a glimpse of the party atmosphere. Chinese tourists were not the fans chosen to show on TV. This is why FIFA holds back a portion of the tickets for fans of the nations playing. They don't want these tickets returned, something that most European nations did with some of theirs' this time. The crowd is a big part of the TV spectacle. Especially the big blocks of colour from fans dressed in their national shirts - such as we had with Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and Mexico. This is also why the Premier League insists on visiting supporters being accommodated on the lower tier of stadiums and La Liga has introduced a rule on filling the seats that are visible from the main camera positions. FIFA and sports marketers don't want the soundtrack to the match being local fans singing the name of the host nation either - except when the host is playing. This is something that happened a lot in Russia because many of the competing teams had few fans with them.

4. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    I can’t judge it myself since I stayed home, but two mates who were traveling with me since eighties went to Russia and here is what they told me, and I completely trust their judgement:
    best organized world cup ever, and third best modern world cup overall, right after two “untouchables” (1990 & 2006). great food and drinks, acceptable to low prices, a lot to see, great host, even better people and whole organization including security and police. made them wish to come back, speaks for itself!

5. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    In total they did, category distribution and hospitality took care about that.

I expect next huge price jump for the 2026 world cup, btw.

6. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Russia was great. We particularly enjoyed the non-venue locations we visited, the Caucasus Mountains and Lake Baikal. It was great to just get away from all of the people for a few days and wander around the small towns and natural places. The venue cities were a lot of fun and everything was extremely well organized and safe. We particularly enjoyed Moscow and Volgograd. St. Petersburg was fun too. There is a lot to see in Russia. I felt like we got a nice sample of the country.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  7. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Totally agree with this. I found accomodation prices were ridiculous in some cities during certain matches, but apart from that I'm struggling to think of any notable flaws with this WC. Very different from the blood bath of hooliganism that some were predicting

8. DavidS777

DavidS777 New Member

Monaco
    Uruguay
    Jul 26, 2018
    In Russia it was great! We were very lucky with the weather. I really liked Moscow and St. Petersburg. I was fortunate enough to attend the closing of the championship, there was a great show and a full stadium. In Russia, a lot of beautiful girls.

9. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    thats just the same bullshit they repeat before every world cup ... as with stadiums being late, ticketing "problems", political shit etc .... all to be ignored!

10. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Some stadium in Qatar
    as CH, i am jealous that you made that game. I did not.

the reason for the riot gear was the albanian references of the "eagle" by Xhaka and Shaquiri when they scored vs. serbia in the prior group game. it caused a minor media stir. I suppose somehow the police made the inference that a riot could develop, but not sure how ?

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Some stadium in Qatar
    i'm not sure i agree. GER, ENG, and perhaps FRA didn't turn up , in my opinion, due to hooliganism fears, or the ongoing headbutting due to Crimea. It was not economic or entertainment reasons.

I am not german or english, but the feisty lot, those that drink and get loud , were solidly MIA in my opinion.

12. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Some stadium in Qatar
    fantastic world cup

Extremely surprised by how cheap everything was, even in moscow. It was insane.

Very surprised about security. Top notch. Incredible. Felt safer than in GER, and that was pretty safe.

Surprised that accommodation was not expensive (i did not go go Sochi or Samara). I had heard horror stories and was in such denial that I only looked at options 4 weeks before departure. Yes, I could not find 5 stars or deals, but I managed fine.

Weirded out by the randomness of the FIFA gear at different shops, it was like finding pokemon. You never knew what you would catch!

Bemused and nostalgic about Taxis. Ohh taxis. What a riot taxi drivers are in Russia. Russia without Yandex ? That's a book waiting to happen.

Positively surprised about russian ladies surprisingly open and fun.

Cyrillic. What a blast. Every journey felt like an adventure.

Somewhat surprised that tenements still dominate the residential living. And that they still look like shit. 30 years after USSR fell.

13. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Did anyone else notice how much cheaper things were outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg? Volgograd restaurants were really cheap, and really good too.