How to score from 20-25 yards out?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hambone, Mar 3, 2003.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How can I practise my shooting to learn to score from 25 yards out???? What kind of shot should I take and how should I increase my power? What is the best drill to use to learn how to score from there? Right now I can score maybe 1 in 10 from there I want it to be like 1 in 2 or 1 in 3. I really need to learn this skill to make myself a better player it is the only thing that I have no confidence in when the ball rolls to me and I get a chance. If I can learn to do it in practice I will gain confidence for in games, but I like think it is impossible to score from there for me unless it is by fluke so please help me out. I need to increase my power a lot. How do you get those high powerful shots not to go over?????
    Or is it possible to score low shots from 25 yards away?

I play center mid and this is the skill that is missing that and I need to improve my heading so please help me!

2. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Today at a college "pick-up" practice my teammates were taking shots from that far out against me. What they did was told each other where to place it and whoever scored from there won. Then they worked on rebounds from that distance where on teammate would roll the ball out and they would one time it towards goal.
    Also, when I coached at my high school, I noticed on of my kids had a weak shot. You gotta keep you planting foot locked and strong. Don't sink on your knee. If you keep your planting leg slightly bent but the knee isn't sinking, then your shot will be much better.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally posted by hambone
    How can I practise my shooting to learn to score from 25 yards out????

Practice hours and hours on it.

What kind of shot should I take and how should I increase my power?

Head down, knee over - a shot that rises slowly in a straight line is a good one. One that knuckles and dips and does all sorts of stuff like that is good, too. You'll find out how to do this - where to hit it on your foot, and what kind of motion to use - only by practicing on your own.

What is the best drill to use to learn how to score from there?

Shot after shot after shot, I imagine. The quickest my shot ever improved was when I spent a week at goalie camp - I played some forward, some goalie. Goalies spent a lot of time after sessions taking practice shots, and I was one of the people who didn't mind whacking shots at them all day.

Right now I can score maybe 1 in 10 from there I want it to be like 1 in 2 or 1 in 3.

I think if you manage this at a decent high school/youth level, you will have most major colleges, if not professional teams, knocking at your door. Translation - I think you're asking a lot here. If you can challenge the goalie most of the time and get it by him now and then, you're doing well.
    If you don't want your teammates to get extremely pissed off at your long-distance shooting exploits, I'd advise you to get real good at at least hitting the target.

If I can learn to do it in practice I will gain confidence for in games, but I like think it is impossible to score from there for me unless it is by fluke so please help me out. I need to increase my power a lot. How do you get those high powerful shots not to go over?????

Like anything it takes time and patience. I like a shorter, 'snap shot' motion, myself, rather than a full, huge whack; also, strange as it sounds, try to hit slightly down on the ball...think of hitting a low, hard driven shot, and you'll be surprised to see how it rises sometimes. Even better, DON'T try and mash the ball - that's how to hit it wildly off target. Just learn to make solid contact, and keep practicing.

4. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    The only guaranteed way to score from 20-25 yards is to be playing against David Seaman and chip a ball in the general direction of goal. That worked for Ronaldinho an Zola anyway. LOL

5. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I already practise like forever at it but it is not helping me I will start practising with pads on instead of shoes because then i will get used to that i guess.

But most importantly what I want to know is what you guys think is better from that distance if the box i not open (which i wouldn't shoot from there if it was) should i work on lob shots over the goalies head or driven low shots???

One thing is I rarely miss target but the shot is not fast enough or hard enough even if it hits the corner to go in.
    What weight lifting should I do??
    What drills are the best?

I can usually score a ball that is coming towards me because it goes a lot faster when i hit it for some reason. As long as those ones get on net they are pretty good but like a dead ball or forward roller i can't hit them hard I hit like worm burners which are just easily saved.

Also I want to get to 1 in 3 in 2 years so that is like my long term goal.

And yes i realize it rises sometimes but how do you control that and make sure it doesn't go over? Maybe just work on follow through?

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 in 3? If you can do that against decent opposition, you can start in the A-League immediately.

Here's what I have to say: experimentation is worthwhile. Have you seen DaMarcus Beasley shoot from distance? He has what most coaches would call terrible form, but it works. I personally think his shooting technique is worth a try, especially if you're relatively short. I started using a large hip swing when shooting, and found that I could strike the ball a lot harder. It won't work for everyone, though - if you have long legs it becomes hard to get off a shot quickly.

Just find what works best for you. It isn't necessarily what works for everyone else.

7. hermsoccergrl

hermsoccergrl New Member

Oct 25, 2002
    VA
    Good advice Michael K.

8. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    how is your shot right now? Can you hit a ball without any spin or relatively little spin?

Unless you can hit a good strike from 15 yards, don't bother moving up. If you can do that, maybe hit the weight room.

But I disagree with Michael's advice about head down, leaning over. I think that you shouldn't lean down too much. If you keep the ball relatively low to the groud it will skim across the pitch.

I think realistically, getting teh ball on goal is a lot better then scoring 1 in 3 tries. Getting the ball on goal makes the keepers life more difficult which will lead to rebounds etc.

9. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    With my left(which is not my dominant foot), I can do no spin shots pretty well. With my right if I try to hit no spin it still spins just a bit left or sometimes tomahawks(i hit too high so it goes down) but also most of the time i can do it well. What is the secret to getting no spin? I think it is hitting with your whole foot as much as possible, but what do you think?
    So becks are you saying to shoot high or that you can shoot low without leaning over the ball??

10. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I don't even know the secret myself lol...when I'm warming up another keeper and I took shots usually i can hit them with no spin.

What i'm saying is, if you want to score from long range, the ball will have to be played high up in the air. You won't score from 25 yards out on a worm burner. So instead of leaning down, lean back a bit more. I'm not a field player so I have little hands on experience hitting 25 yard balls.

11. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    To hit hard and straight with no spin, at the moment of contact the sole of your foot should be in the dead center of the ball. Hit the ball with a follow through, and you should land with the foot which you strike the ball with. And yes, keep the knee directly over the ball, or else you'll sky the ball every time.

Try also to strengthen your thigh muscles to add power to your shot.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Err, I said head down knee over - not that that means you're supposed to be staring down at your shoelaces when you shoot, just that if you're leaning back, you're going to put the ball 20 feet over the goal if you hit it with any power.

You want to have balance and a strong plant foot, no matter what - in fact, if you can't shoot well with your 'off' foot (and many players can't), it probably has as much to do with the steadiness of your plant foot as it does with your kicking motion - try it.

In fact, while I haven't done so myself, and it's going to sound like esoteric advice, I bet practicing some sort of martial art type activity - particularly one that stresses your sense balance, such as tai chi, can only help not only your shot but your entire game. But that may be something for another day.

As for knuckling the ball, where do you contact the ball with your foot? I found that by hitting the ball, not flat on the laces, but more with the foot-bone (imagine turning your foot outwards slightly, so you're hitting it right on the hardest part of the bone), I could knuckle the ball pretty consistently. I stress 'I' because everyone's different - maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't.

Edit: As an addendum to Grifo's advice, which sounds good - as a mental device, if I wanted to hit the ball straight on and hard I always tried to imagine the ball's 'core' - like, the size of a softball -at it's center, and imagined I was kicking right *through* that. Maybe a bit complicated, but it was a thought I kept in mind as I practiced.

13. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    sorry about that michael, i read too quickly

14. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I have what most people would call terrible form but I always get told how hard my shot is. If I'm running at the ball I make sure I'm running at full speed at it, plant my foot next to where the ball will be when my striking foot will contact the ball, and just swing my leg straight at it. I follow through like the ball I'm trying to kick is about 3 inches straight ahead of where it's actually at. It's the same way in karate they teach you to punch at something behind the brick in order to break it. I also spin my hips a bit like a previous poster said, and when I follow through I find a lot of times my leg makes my body spin a bit.

But I rarely hit it without spin. It goes straight, sometimes dipping but only rarely, but it does spin most of the time. I prefer low shots since they're the hardest to get to but sometimes you can't do that. If the box is crowded you have to try to slip it through that little bit of space in between the people in the box.

15. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida
    How do you get those high powerful shots not to go over?????

Knee over the ball. Another thing I noticed nobody mentioned was where your planting foot is in relation to the ball. For example, if your planting foot is right next to the ball, it should go lower than if you plant your foot behind the ball. That's my advice. If I'm wrong, gimme a break... I'm a keeper so I don't take very many 25-yard shots.

16. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    A big part of a shot that is overlooked is the follow through. Make sure you don't just hit the ball. Make sure your shot hits the ball and keeps going forward with it. There's two parts to your leg on a shot. The lower leg and upper leg. (Lower is everything beneath the knee, the upper is the knee and above.) Your lower leg needs to keep going forward and through the ball. Your foot should be moving at a direction parallel to the ground. Your upper leg needs to raise up a little bit. That's how you get those ball that dip down over the keeper. (Some suggest using a lower part of the top of your foot for really strong dips, but I am not advanced to know how to do that.)