How to include USA/CAN in Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by gremio1903, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think that we could take that Patriotic zeal and transfer that to Colorado and LA and Columbus? You're crazy.

The Patriotism exists because, for many an American soccer fan, the USMNT is their club team.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS best clubs vs Best teams in the World

=

USA vs Rest of World

3. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    There is only one way. Let CFU become a Confederation, give them one World Cup spot, and merge Central, North and South America. It would become a 20-team Confederation with seven World Cup spots. Copa America would be held every four years, having 4 groups of 5 teams.

JoeTerp, PhillyWild and Ed-D repped this.
  4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for it. Where do I sign up?

The confederation could have its tournament the same years as the euros, with a qualifying campaign and you could still call the tourney the Copa America. Then Americans would have a reason to follow the team in a continuous basis. They might even get interested in MLS!

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Copa America would take too long. Groups of 5 require 5 matchdays with each team having 1 matchday off. Even if you went from 20 teams down to 8, that's three rounds after the Group Stage, for a total of 8 matchdays. That's one more matchday than the World Cup, and World Cup 2014 takes 32 days. The last Copa America took 24 days and the last Gold Cup took 22 days. You're proposing a tournament that would take about 50 percent longer than that.

6. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So have five groups of four teams then. Group winners plus three best second-place finishers advance to the quarterfinals. Done. But these details can be worked out later...

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this will work. I am as patriotic as they come, but I don't really care how well Seattle does against Communicaciones in the CCL. Seattle is a part of America, not America. It doesn't translate for me, and I doubt it translates for anyone else.

El Naranja repped this.
  8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope every MLS team chokes and breaks all their legs while playing internationally (and domestically, really) except mine. I want my team to kick ass (even though they aren't now) and hope you all fail and have miserable lives.

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Agreed. The only reason to cheer for MLS teams in such intl tournaments is if you don't have a MLS team of your own and you are a fan of MLS as a whole (whatever that means).
    I have no reason to hate other teams in CONCACAF, DC United doesn't play them enough for hate to develop. On the other hand for some teams in MLS I've been building the hate 2-5 times a year game by game for 18 years.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait until you play Arabe Unido. ..you'll hate them with a passion

JG repped this.
  11. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strongly disagree and I have a feeling that once you experience seeing an MLS side deal with the madness of a place like the bombonera you will come around too...

12. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a good time for somebody to bring up MLS's single entity structure. I'm not gonna be that guy though...

13. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    #88 gremio1903, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    I know it increases the matchdays, but I did not organize the schedule to see how long it would take.

The group stage could last 20 days, with a group per day. A day off, plus one quarterfinal each day, make 25. Two days off, plus two semis, 29. More 2 days, third place and final, it is 33. Roughly, as long as the World Cup.

Ed-D repped this.
  14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It needs to happen.

15. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #90 CBusCrew12, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    That flight from Montreal to Sao Paulo would be nice.

16. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    And back! But it would be part of the fun. :)

17. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Seriously, there are ways of avoiding this...

JoeTerp repped this.
  18. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better yet, how about a home-home qualification for the eight lowest rated teams. That gets you to 16.

In any case, the Euros have already expanded to 24 teams, so 20 is quite doable.

19. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is so close in terms of team parity that international tourney injuries can ruin a season. The Champions League is good because it's only 4 games in the group stage which can give teams extra revenue and hopefully not tire them out enough to injure themselves. Copa Lib is much more intense. I don't think MLS will get involved until this parity thing dies down a bit.

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can promise you that almost no one makes money on group stage CCL matches. Even the knockouts might be dodgy when speaking about profit, even for a winning club.

21. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The solution to that is to make the Copa Lib a little less intense, to accommodate CONCACAF clubs...

22. BamaMan

BamaMan Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Club:
    Esbjerg fB
    Two things
    (1) CONCACAF CL should be knockout only. That was how the UEFA CL built its following. The group stage was introduced as a way to make even more money out of something that was already profitable. More games for Real Madrid = more money. More games for Antigua Barracuda = more losses.
    (2) Merging the two competitions is actually not a bad idea. I think one that might be workable would be (a) to remove the Mexican teams from the Copa Lib; (b) for the winner of the CONCACAF CL to enter the Copa Lib quarters or semis (stagger it so they schedule finishes a little earlier in CONACAF). That way, only one team suffers through the travel. Having 4 CONCACAF teams vs. 4 CONMEBOL teams would be awesome, I just don't think CONMEBOL would go for it at this juncture. Maybe - just maybe, you could do 2 CONCACAF and 6 CONMEBOL.

I'd also like to see a Copa Lib Final as a single game, but I don't think they'll give that tradition up.

Ed-D repped this.
  23. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will for enough $$$

24. BamaMan

BamaMan Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Club:
    Esbjerg fB
    Watching the game tonight made think of how awesome it would be to see an MLS team in a Copa Lib final at the Maracana. Probably won't ever happen but one can dream.

Ed-D repped this.
  25. JoeTerp

JoeTerp Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA
    I think maybe take some inspiration from Euro 2020. Have cities bid to host groups. LA, Miami, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Santiago. Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and US guaranteed to have at least one city win a bid, and guarantee of at leas one non Brazil and Argentina city in South America to get one. Top qualifying seed from each country that has a city win a hosting bid gets to play there. The rest of the teams are seeded into pots and drawn at random. Play 3 games in a week. That gets you down from 32 to 16. Last 4 rounds are two legged match ups. 11 games for the finalists. Way less travel for everybody, but not everyone gets to see their team play at home, but how much are you missing if your team is going out in the group stages anyway?