How should we lineup for the rest of this season?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Here’s the current roster … (I think)

Goal
    • Ammann (injured)
    • McGinty
    • Rimando
    Defense
    • McKinley
    • Nelsen (injured)
    • Pope
    • Reyes
    • Prideaux
    Midfield
    • Alavanja
    • Alegria
    • Convey
    • Etcheverry
    • Mapp
    • Namoff (on loan)
    • Olsen
    • Villegas
    • Williams
    Forward
    • Curtis
    • Lassiter
    • Moreno
    • Q1 (injured ?)
    • Q2
    • Zambrano

This year is over and done with. So with an eye towards next year who plays and where? We know right now that certain players won’t be back next year. So let’s not bother with them anymore. And the injured and on loan are obviously out of the question too.

I’d bring in Mapp. Let him run around and see what he can do. Then move Convey to attacking mid. And I’d play Q1 and Q2 together if Q1’s injury permits. Otherwise give Moreno a chance to prove himself. As for the backline – I don’t know. I put four in the back below but perhaps three would be just as well for our purposes. It would allow for some additional experimentation in midfield and it would take McKinley out of the picture entirely (or, at least, it would if it were my choice). My only real question is Williams. I’d prefer it if he weren’t back next year but I don’t really know who I’d want to have play in his place. I figure Alegria should get a run out but d-mid really isn’t his position. And everyone else who plays d-mid I’ve already formed my opinion about. I suppose, in the end, my only real interest for the remainder of the season is to see what Mapp can do and to test Convey yet again in the middle.

Code:
    [size=4]
                     Rimando 

Reyes --- Pope --- Prideaux --- McKinley 

Olsen --- Williams --- Convey --- Mapp

Moreno/Q1 --- Q2
    [/size]

2. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    This is the official Ray Hudson Brought Them Here lineup. I want to see this on national television on Thursday.

Rimando
    Reyes Pope Prideaux
    ITT
    Alavanja Villegas Mapp
    Zambrano Lassiter

Have at it.

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a cigarette and a blindfold! :(

Winoman

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I basically answered this on the metros pre game thread, but this is what I want:

---------------------------Rimando
    Reyes---------------------Pope-------------------Prideaux
    -------------------ITT--------------Alegria
    Olsen----------------------------------------------Mappy
    -------------------------Convey
    ---------------Q2--------------------Q1/Curtis

I put down a rationale on the other thread and i don't want to repeat myself, but I'll comment on:

-ITT is not a left back so see if he can do d-mid and tandem with Chino there. We know what Williams brings and why just see more of the same if there are possible alternatives?

-Don't play Moreno if he's not likely to be back next year. Pointless and I think Hudson has already made his decision: he's not gonna hope the offseason does Jaime wonders.

Oh hell, here's my rationale for the rest:

- Play Convey in the middle for the same reason that Billick is playing Redman at quarterback: We have to know if Convey is the future here and the only way to do that is give him the keys and tell him it's his position for the rest of the season, no questions asked. Wins at this point are not important. far more important is figuring out if several players should be back- and if Convey (who will be back) can get comfortable in the middle. Of course, I'd be much more comfortable if someone who has a better idea of hoiw to play offense than Hudson were coaching the team. Before we spend so much money on a foreign a-mid, let's see if a cheaper homegrown one will do the job someday. Don't expect the world, just expect desire.

-Don't play Olsen at a-mid because 1) he's such a good winger, and 2) if he doesn't leave the team this winter, he probably will after next year. Convey is the possible long-term solution here, not Olsen.

-I know Hudson has forgotten Curtis completely, but Christ, give him a chance as the forth forward for next year.

-Time to give Mappy some playing time, see if maybe he could be a major player next year, if not a starter. Also, another reason to move Convey to the middle.

-The d-mid situation is very unsettled. I know Hudson has also soured on Chino, but give him some PT next to ITT, sort of like Convey at a-mid: keep him at one position for the remaining three games. Probably though he has less of a chance to succeed than Bobby does.

-Nelsen being out is not so big of a problem if he truly is a free transfer after this season. I mean if MLS doesn't have a contract on him, why shouldn't Nelsen go to England, show teams over there that he's better than Berhalter (and younger) and get them to pay him a relatively small sum of $300K? I know the transfer market is depressed but that affects the paying of transfer fees more than the salaries like what Nelsen would get- which is more than what MLS or DCU will offer. So since I figure he's gone than might as well play the three man backline, see if it works well.

-I expect however to see guys like Villegas, Zambrano, Etcheverry, Alevanja, and Moreno- guys who have little chance of being back next year.

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: How should we lineup for the rest of this season?

Hell, don't even give 'em the cigarette.

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Agree with Ursula except that I don't see Nelsen on there anywhere. Is he injured? If not, I prefer him to Prideaux.

But definitely we should see Mapp now.

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: How should we lineup for the rest of this season?

Actually the cigarette and blindfold are for us. :(

8. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Actually I'd love to see Convey in the center of the park, but it's just not fair at the end of the season to throw him in there while he's still injured. Dmids would muscle him physically every chance they get and I think the shoulder woudl prevent him from showing any consistency or explosiveness.

I definitely want to see Mapp more though, so maybe Convey should get some minutes in the center, although I don't think he'll make that leap until next season. Another possibility is letting Eliseo be our attacking midfielder and see how that goes.

I'm for trying to win this dang Atlantic Cup. I just despise the idea of the Metros undermining a vote and renaming the thing what they want just because they're a bigger market.

I'd like to see speed up top, and our subs include young players like Eliseo and Mapp.

I guess my lineup would look like this at the end of the game:
    Code:
    [size=4]
                                 Rimando
                     Pope        Prideaux      McKinley
                         Williams        Reyes
    Olsen                                                  Mapp
                                  Convey
                   Moreno                      Eliseo
    [/size]
    I might start Curtis up top in a 451 and counterattack if that is our given formation. Otherwise, start Moreno and Zambrano.

-Tron

9. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    How 'bout OTC and 10 of his friends?

10. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I think Hudson should treat this as any other game and continue to lineup the players that earn the position. I do not believe any player benefits when positions are "given" out merely to gain experience. Seems to me guys like Albright didn't blossom under that kind of thinking.

Rimando, Reyes, Pope, Prideaux, Richie, McKinley, Marco, Olsen, Convey, and Quintanilla have all earned their jobs as far I can see. I think Moreno should complete the lineup as well even though he hasn't really earned it because his future is in doubt and every opportunity should be given him before a decision is made.

I'm with Hudson in that players get better by forcing someone else to the bench. He made an interesting quote early in the year when he said he expects players to win their jobs every week and he has pretty much stuck with that. Even by giving guys like Chino and Curtis the "sugar" when they performed well in place of returning starters.

I think players respect that kind of opportunity and guys like Quaranta, Convey, Nelsen, Quintanilla, etc. have benefitted from that philosophy and grabbed their starting jobs. I think guys like Ziadie and Lisi didn't benefit and are now plying their wares elsewhere.

11. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yes, Nelsen sprained his MCL last gae and is out for the last games.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    You know, I quite forgot about his shoulder and if it's still really bothering him and affecting his play, then you are quite right. Maybe Diceson could ask about it this week.