How much will Beltran demand in free agency?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by therealronaldo7, Oct 19, 2004.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Loyalty is a concept invented by sports owners when they realized they could no longer exploit athletes and pay them below market value.

In any case, the Yankees' practice of splurging on big names and trading the future for the short term is catching up to them. I don't know how soon they'll turn it around, but I see them as the Atlanta Braves North - good enough to win the division every year and go deep in the postseason, but the lack of key parts kills them in a 7-game series.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it was a rhetorical question. Like one of those "what sound does a falling tree make in a forest" or some crap like that. I don't think it worked. And oh good god that lady has way too much makeup on. I think the Boston night has frozen her makeup so she can't move her face. Sorry, I watch tv as I type. Old habit.

Anyway, you're right on Skip. They're strictly a "WIN NOW" mentality. They've signed big bats and do have a team that will have them contending for a few years. But of course contention isn't good enough for the Boss. Adding pitchers like Brown won't get the job done since his age is catching up to him, plus he's injury prone, even pre-breaking-my-hand-punching-a-wall. I remember Yankee fans always bragged about how a the championship teams from the late 90's were made up of a lot of homegrown players. Well where's that now?

3. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Dodgers have gone on record as saying that resigning him is their #1 offseason priority, yet they've declined to even make him an offer during their exclusive negotiating rights period because they know he's going to test the market and they don't want to establish a price yet. They really have no leverage. Boras' clients don't give a hometown discount. If it puts them into a situation where they can't address any of their other offseason needs, I wouldn't be surprised if they let him walk.

4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah for some reason I think he might go to the Cubs or Braves. Maybe even the Giants to spice things up!

5. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    The Braves would have to move Andruw Jones to sign Beltre and it would severely limit their ability to retain Drew, Ortiz, and Wright.
    With his contract and questionable attitude, I don't know what kind of market there would be for Jones without ATL ponying up a bunch of his salary.
    Boras is going to ask for too much. The traditional big players in the FA market with the big wallets either have a 3B or other glaring needs.

6. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see Beltre going to the Cubs. Reports are that the Cubs are looking to lock up Aramis Ramirez to a long term deal.

7. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    O's fans think they have a chance, i really doubt this though