How much longer can we afford to keep Fergie? [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by haven, Oct 30, 2004.

1. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    Re: How much longer can we afford to keep Fergie?

u have got to admire what he has done with pompey...taking them from a first division club, to a premiership top of the table side in just two seasons...i just like how he attacks...and on top of that he isn't that old is he??

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That's true, but don't you have to wonder at a certain point is Fletcher, Djemba Djemba, Miller et al just aren't good enough? Ferguson seems to want to blood them and win at the same time. You can't do both - you end up stunting their development and not playing well enough.
    Its possible this is what has happened to players like O'Shea and Brown, who came up through the ranks but have seen their performance slip, in O'Shea's case dramatically.
    I know I'm not a United fan, and I don't want it to seem like I'm piling on, but there's a certain point when everyone's past it. I think its reasonable to ask whether or not SAF is at that point. I won't argue one way or the other (as I think it has far more to do with United's phenomenal midfield naturally fading into age and injuries), but I do think its a very valid question.
    As was our questioning of Claudio's tinkering last year. (And yes, I know Ranieri wasn't even remotely as successful as SAF. But you also weren't reinforcing your squad with Quique de Lucas on a free. Until you got Bellion :p)

3. Nicky Butt

Nicky Butt New Member

Jan 21, 2004

Let's see, Premier League titles in 2001 and 2003. FA Cup in 2004.
    Man, you're right, that really really sucks, way below average. Only three major trophies in 4 years.

4. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester

Thinking the same thing.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

I disagree. We've spent the money needed the last two years. Either SAF has lost the plot or he feels the mid didn't need Gerrard. Otherwise why spend that 30m on Rooney? And at that, I suspect the team will spend that kind of money next summer.