How much for Guevara?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by BoltonJon, Jan 1, 2006.

1. BoltonJon

BoltonJon New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I'm a Bolton fan in England who now supports the Metrostars in MLS because of my all-time favourite Bolton player Youri Djorkaeff.

During the season that has just finished somewhat disappointingly for us Metrostars fans, I have stayed up in the night to watch lots of Metrostars games on the internet. As well as Youri showing flashes of his brilliance, Amado Guevara has also caught my eye, and I was wondering what the chances of him leaving are and what kind of price tag there would be, as I feel he would fit in very nicely at Bolton!

2. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    You can't have him!!!!

Actually, Guevara complained about the quality of officiating in MLS during the season and said he wanted to leave. However, folks who've been following his outbursts longer than I say that this is pretty normal. At the moment, his future with the Metros is up in the air. Regardless, be careful what you wish for; Guevara's incredibly smooth and skilled, but tempermental as hell, and doesn't always show up to play.

Oh yeah, and he was the 2004 MVP.

3. BoltonJon

BoltonJon New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    But say he were to leave, what kind of money do you think we would be talking? I really don't have a clue as I don't know the American market.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Amado given his current contract status (he just signed a new 4 year deal in 2004) going for 1-3 million pounds.

5. BoltonJon

BoltonJon New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks for that. On the Bolton fansite I post on I had predicted £2million, which is on the low side because of his age.

6. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think any club that offered MLS $1m would get him (never mind a million quid). Historically fees paid to MLS are very low. Guevara is pushing 30, and has some baggage. He's undeniably a top player, but I'm not sure he would be worth the headache.

I think Bolton has too many good players that could play in his position already. I'm not saying he couldn't hack it in the EPL, I think he could, but he might be better going to somewhere like Fulham, Portsmouth etc... where he could guarantee minutes.

He was stripped of both his club and national team captancies in the last year or so and I think MLS would take a solid bid as an opportunity to vut their losses and take the money and run.

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He's an astounding player when he's on. He saved our bacon a number of times with last minute goals -- both run-of-play and dead ball.

I sincerely hope the initial skinny stays thin: he's coming back. He told Mo he wants to return for another season -- but until training starts, who knows?

8. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I doubt MLS will let him go for that low. $1M is nothing and they will gain just as much by keeping him. If they let him go they will lose a star player, but not only that, they will probably have to use the better part of the $1M to regain that player. Plus the time and effort that its going to take to rebuild that "name". And lets not forget that not all good players are guaranteed to play well so they might end up not gaining any $$ and losing a player in the process.

I think Guevara will probably go for $2M-3M, not only because he's a talented player, but because he's one of the few talented players this team has.

I think MLS knows it cant just sell off everytime someones comes knocking. The little money they gain doesnt equal the impact of losing a player of Guevara's caliber. Thats why when the money offered is so low they would rather just keep the player and wait till his contract runs out hoping the interest cools off. Plus they get another year of "marketing" out of it. Let's face it if this team didnt have Djorkaeff, Guevara will be the only "face" of the team. Eddie Gaven is not well known due to lack of Senior International games. I guess Meola is well known but I dont think he's very marketable or playing to what he once was to be able to call him a star.

9. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    i would love to see him leave, will take borghetti and a sack of soccer balls for him

10. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I would think it might take a little more, like say 4-5 million to see him go. I think MLS would lose money on Guevara w/just a mill or so. They would absolutely have to sign another big name to replace him in the big apple. Big names tend to garner big wages.

11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd want Borghetti with Metro? INteresting.. I don't know... With all the aversion towards Mexican NT players in particular... it'd be hard for me to root for the guy.. but i guess a few goals would change one's mind.... NOt that this will ever happen, considering salaries, and the guy surely would rather go back to MExico than play in MLS////

12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Borgetti is rumored to be going to Chivas (Guadalajara), Pachuca or Cruz Azul. He won't be coming to MLS--at least not right now.

13. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Borgetti sucks. I thought he was going to cry in Columbus.

14. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    ok just a sack of soccer balls then, i know for one thing i don't want guevarra back. watching him at the end of last season made me puke. In the Chivas game he played like he didn't want to go to the playoffs and move on somewhere else. I've never hated a player as much as i hated him during that game. We could spend the money we're paying him on a player with heart.

15. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    cutting and running already? I thought he was just getting into form for bolton (like 4 f.a. cup goals) The weather in england remind him too much of colombus?

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Bolton Jon. Welcome aboard. Will you be coming states side on holiday and join us in the 101 end this summer? Jolysaddler did so, hope you will too.

17. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY

That showing was terrible. I remember wondering how the hell he stuck around for so long speed walking around the field. You are right, even with all the great moments, this left a very very bad taste in my mouth.

18. BoltonJon

BoltonJon New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Funnily enough I have considered a trip in the summer. It just depends on how my time and money are looking.

And as for Borgetti... the jury is very much still out on him. As far as I am concerned, he has had 4 goal-scoring chances, and scored 3 of them, which is a great ratio to have. Two of his goals were extremely important in our UEFA Cup campaign.

However, his style is not really suited to the way we play as we tend to play one target man who will work hard and hold up the ball, with a couple of fast and skillful players (such as Diouf, Giannakopoulos etc.) playing off him. Borgetti cannot play either of these roles so I'm surprised we bought him to be honest. With a young, enthusiastic and pacey striker playing alongside him in a 4-4-2 I'm sure he would score a lot of goals in the Premierleague, but he is unlikely to get that chance at Bolton.

The Metrostars could do worse, but I think a quick striker would be a better option for now.

19. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
  20. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  21. lobtuf

lobtuf New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    off topic: Benfica may try to buy Borgetti during the current transfer window

22. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Jay-Jay come over when hes old enough. Kevin Nolan would be perfect but they wouldnt sell him nor would he want to come.

23. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    I want the Ronnie O'Brien trade. Guevara is good, but he whines too much. I say trade him while he's still valuable.