How much coverage does soccer get in other countries?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by the cup, Sep 7, 2002.

1. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I have spent alot of time in Chile and believe it or not they do not go overboard with their soccer coverage. At least not like here with Football, Basketball and Baseball. They will show games on Saturdays and Sundays but their highlight shows are not overwhelming like say, Baseball Tonight, NFL Tonight, NBA Tonight. (can ESPN come up with some original names already, good hell) You will find passionate fans in Chile for sure but they do seem to be more level headed. They follow other sports like tennis with the chilean Rios being number 1 in the world a couple of years ago and there is a chilean racing in the Indy Racing League, Salazar I believe is his name. But chileans don't turn into animals like most NFL fans or they don't turn into perverts like most MLB fans. Has anyone spent significant time in another country? How is soccer covered there? Like in the UK, do they give equal coverage to say Rugby, Motorsports, or Cricket. Or is soccer shoved down everyones throats there like Football, Basketball and Baseball are here?

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Italy has crazy coverage. They have a great 90 minute highlight show that shows every goal, every great save, tons of good play, etc. They also have news reports, live games and talk shows dedicated to the damn sport. It's kinda nice.

3. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    when i was in england, it was constant. just everywhere. especially weekend mornings, every channel seemed to have a show.

when i was in mexico, it was also constant, but in spanish so i didn't know what was going on.

4. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In England football (soccer) gets easily the most publicity...probably I would say as much as the NFL, MLB and NBA combined over here. There are exceptions, such as England winning a Test Match, or after a big Rugby win, but even they can be relegated off the back page (thats the main sports page, as they don't have seperate sections like they do over here) in preference to football...for those who can get Sky Sports News on FSW, I think thats a fair reflection on the rest off the media, where football dominates I would say 80% of the time or greater...as a big Rugby fan it used to drive me crazy, but now I realize how much coverage the sport got compared to what soccer does over here!!..

-Richard