How many of you embrace the new name?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kerowack, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metrostars people are the new Cosmos people :)

2. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    can we have 10 to 20 yrs to get over it before you put us in the same group?

3. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You own the land in New Jersey? Wow, that's impressive. You certainly charge enough for the parking and turnpike tolls; I hope you do something worthwhile with the money.

When I pump my own gas (learned it as a youth, its really not that difficult), get in the car to cross a bridge or tunnel and enter the Garden State, I'm not leaving the New York region.

Yes, Mr. Bee, and the irony is how many of the I-love-the-Metro-name people mocked the I-love-the-Cosmos name people.

The ceremony last Saturday was beautiful: Cosmos -> MetroStars -> Red Bulls.

4. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I pay someone to do it for me and I still pay less than you.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    1. You don't know how to use the word "irony". Ask your williamsburgh friends.

2. The "I love the Metro name people" didn't mock people who loved the cosmos name, they mocked the people who wanted to bring it back.

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    This is what makes you a proud Jerseyite?

7. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not pumping my gas and jughandles are the two things I never got used to about New Jersey.

But the subs are fantastic :)

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Hoagies, if you're from about exit 8 south.

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It seems that Red Bull Salzburg is doing very well in the Austrian BL. With the new GM in New York, maybe Red Bull should try a publicity coups. Have the new GM declare this New York team not worthy to wear the colors of Red Bull -- it is still the the mediocre MetroStars on the field, and until such time when it elevates it's play to that of its Austrian cousin, the team will revert to its former name, which is synonimous with under-achievement.

PS: try sugar free Red Bull, it has a much cleaner taste. The same is true for diet colas, IMO -- more, lean cola flavor, instead of that smothering sweetness that makes your teeth gritty.

Ahh, if only we could have been bought by a beer company!

10. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I love Jersey, but I can't stand Jerseyans inferiority complexes. Nobody is going to push you down on the playground. Go play some soccer!

11. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    hey, he's the one who brought up gas pumping. I don't give a shit. I don't have the complex you speak of. I don't care if they call the team New York.

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Then why'd you post this:
    "You can have your silly name sucker. At the end of the day you have to cross a river into MY state. Keep paying for parking and concessions. Keep paying those turnpike tolls"?

And Metrogo, the irony is that those who kept saying "the name is of the past" are now saying they want to keep a name from the past. I'm quite sure that falls under one of the categories of irony. And yes, the Metro Reds people are trying to bring it back. The MetroStars name left on March 9th.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Nope, that's not irony.

And you don't see the difference between changing "metrostars" to "Cosmos", and opposing the change from MEtrostars and Red Bull? If you say that you don't see the difference, you're just trolling.

14. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, it is ironic that those who said "leave the name in the past" now can't leave a name in the past.

The situations aren't identical, and the analogy isn't perfect, but using that one specific element of the anti-Cosmos argument back against them works.

And he is in no way a troll.

15. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    No doubt you have a point here, but it's blunted between changing and opposing. That's irony for you.

16. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I posted that because you posted this:
    "I love New York on the screen as the scoreline or in news flashes. I love New York in the MLS standings and media coverage. I love New York on the crest and uniforms. The thing I love most about RB is New York."

Go back and look at all those threads filled with Jersey folks crying about New York in the name. You won't find me in any of them. I'm too busying crying about my soccer team being used as a prop to sell soft drinks. I'm still here because if I give up on the team the only person who loses is me. I want to watch live pro soccer so I grin and bare it but you can't force me to sing "Red Bull." I'm not asking you to say, "Metro."

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    There is the consolation that it is a straw prop right now, hardly a team to advertise energy and 'wings.' I thought we were suppposed to have wings this season.

And if we were to become league champ and undisputed monster of MLS, wouldn't that hurt sales outside New York? Would anyone outside our region want to buy a drink that supports a team they hate?

Right now our team plays more like the Metros of old, than like their Austrian cousin, Red Bull Salzburg. Maybe we should continue to call them Metro, until they stand up and really play like Red Bulls. The fact is, this team isn't good enough to sell a soft drink. Untill it is, I'm not worried about the name.

Call them Metros. Please. Especially when cave in to DC this Saturday. That will be another Metro performance for the book.

18. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Frieslander, I know for a fact that you have bled (literally) for this team and I respect your devotion to our squad. However, you need to accept that the team is called the New York Red Bulls. Direct all that passion to the team while using the team's actual name.

RBNY did more than could be expected of them in honoring the memory of the MetroStars. Now we need to move forward as a unified force of fandom.

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Cue the German/Austrian Strangelove voice: "Ve have vays of dealing vith dis."

20. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    All due respect, but who the hell are you to tell anyone else (especially someone like Frieslander) how to be a fan of this team? You approve of the new name? Yippee for you. Nobody is berating you for calling them the Red Bulls. If some of us would rather not call the team by their new corporate name, that's our business.

21. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All due respect as well... but

22. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Cute. Because of course it's EXACTLY the same thing to call out a long-time supporter of the team as it is to put in a generic comment in a sig.

The sig went up the day it happened. That's the way I felt then, and it hasn't diminished. That said, I have never, nor will I ever, go up to another fan and tell them, "hey, you need to stop cheering for Red Bull. Call them Metros or go away." That kind of clueless behavior is strictly within the realm of you and all of the other folks who have been fans of the team for all of 10 minutes.

23. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Mr. McCullough,

That is quite a bit of presumption you have going. There are plenty of people, myself included, that have been fans far longer than 10-minutes while also feeling as though calling the team MetroStars is the equivalent to living in the past. It is rather petty in childish.

There is no justifiable reason for which an individual cannot recognize the new team name or sing songs with the new team name. Do you know anyone that shows up at Jets games and sings, "Let's go Titans?"

You hold a certain amount of animosity towards those that have the clarity of sight for which they can recognize and see the product and brand for what it is and has always will be. So, continue to be a corporate shill for a product that was voided and removed from the shelf; just don't pretend to be superior for it.

Enjoying another cool, refreshing energy drink,
    P

24. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm probably close to at least a half an hour of supporting the team though, but point taken.

I've not gotten on anybody about supporting the team and still hanging onto Metrostars. I've gotten on those who were mad about "New York", and also the plastic fans that have dropped their support because of the team name.

Seriously, that was your response to me? :rolleyes:

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I know, you super REP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone who agrees with you.

You say not identical, I say completely different. If you liked me, you'd admit that it's completely different, and trying to make a false point of it is trolling, just the way you do when you consistently repeat a false statement when you can't defend it.