How long until a Gold Cup is played entirely outside of USA?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MRschizoid21, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really would like to see Canada host it first, once it's played outside the US. All the group games could be played Ontario/Quebec

2. mastermoo

mastermoo Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    yes, but most people get thier tv from satellite, and its not a niche channel or any thing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperSport_(TV_channel) they basically has a monopoly on all the sports here. Since were more of a soccer nation, we just get more soccer programming. I have a friend in Brazil who watches every continents world cup qualifiers on his tv, even Oceania, its all about demand.

3. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    The green bags that this tournament generates(thanks to the Americans of Mexican descent and the Mexicans living in the US) end up somewhere we're not too sure about.Peeps supporting the US national team often say the revenues are funding CONCACAF at every age group and for both genders.Could be possible but does anybody has any evidence of this?Until CONCACAF openly states where the money goes(which they will probably never do''),then those are speculations!What percentage of the total revenues are invested back in the game,how much money are the CONCACAF officials are stealing out of those revenues?I guess we'll never know for sure unfortunately...

I'm sorry?o_O The quality doesn't improve yet Tahiti was able to become champions of Oceania ahead of New Zealand(the favorite) and the Solomon Islands for this year's Confed Cup in Brazil...Tahiti's quality has improved surely...

Granted,the quality won't improve after one edition away from the US,but it will down the road as long as CONCACAF is willing to turn this tourney into something legit.When it becomes legit,the quality and credibility will increase and the event will be seen as an actual event,not some kind of circus past its due date like it is at the moment...

As we speak,CONCACAF's priority shouldn't be looking to please audiences from the World Stage,later maybe,but not now.This tournament is the tournament that will decide the champion of our region,so at the moment,CONCACAF should improve the tournament for us,us as in,the people who take interest in this region despite the bad stench from the garbage floating on the surface(corruption,questionable refereeing,poor management and so on...)We are the ones who follow this region and are interested in it so CONCACAF should be looking to satisfy us in the first place,the CONCACAF audience,without us,this thing goes out the window for the most part.Also about the potential matchups that you've listed above,again,it is CONCACAF's job to advertise,promote,market properly the tourney so that the locals won't be interested solely on attending the host team matches,but all the particpating teams also.The governing body of the region has to do it's part...

nfiniti, Pønch and Otaku repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A lot of solid ideas that could really turn around the tournament and build its prestige.

Hosting it outside the USA. If Central American nations couldn't host or if it wasn't expected to bring in a lot of revenue, surely a Canadian or Mexican hosting would result would bring in a great amount of $$$

Having the tournament every 4 years (maybe not possible anytime soon, but hopefully within a decade or so)

Promote the stars that have made it in Europe in regard to the tournament.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Possibly Canada.

Mexico , no way. Outside of Mexican matches the fans do give a you know what.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Canada it is. Maybe with some more promo, Mexican fans may care. Or fans of Panama/Honduras will come from home or the USA to go watch.

7. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Canada can step up and host right away. One group can play at BC Place, another in Toronto (BMO Field or Rogers Centre for a big game), and another in Montreal (Stade Saputo or Stade Olympique). Give some of the knockout games to Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium) and you're good.

Would love to see it expand to 16 teams, but that's another story. In the meantime Panama and Costa Rica could co-host with Estadio Rommel Fernandez (32K) and Estadio Nacional (35K), with a group at Ricardo Saprissa.

A pan-Caribbean version would be the next step, until T&T or Jamaica are capable of hosting it on their own

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That would be something. Seeing Jamaica/Puerto Rico/T&T co-bid would be really something, but perhaps a pipe dream. I really would support Panama/Costa Rica like now. Hopefully by the start of the next decade we can see Canada given the chance and then finally get this thing hosted on a regional basis. Canadian federation should get the ball rolling,

9. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    When this thing becomes legit,it will get more attention from pretty much everyone and people will start to show up/attend wherever it is hosted.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think so.
    You really think people are going to see Belize and Cuba in Puebla?

Nah.

Maybe they can host a group but even that would only get people to come to see the home team as in 2003.

11. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    True,I wouldn't expect a Cuba VS Belize matchup to fill the Azteca to full capacity.However,if the tournament is advertised properly,with all the teams involved bringing their A squads,then with some prestige added on top of that,I don't see why this can't attract something around the 20k more/less.That's why the day this tournament is going to travel,Mexico shouldn't host one right away.Countries from Central America and the Carribean should get to host first with Canada hosting one of the first 3 editions of the tournament.Let the countries where it would mean something to the general population have it first,where a tournament like this could possibly do wonders for the football in that country.Then when it become more legit/prestigious,Mexcio should host.....

12. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Panama fans would go to games in CAnada. a lot of us from tampa and NYC made the trip for the qualifier vs Canada in Toronto last september.... we have a decent size population in Toronto, Montreal, and surprisingly, Vancouver..

13. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    The thing is you have to start somewhere. if you don't give it a try, then we will never know what could be. yes at the beginning it will probably be ugly, but as the editions pass, it could be the realization of our pipe dream.

14. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I agree,good post!

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well the pipe dream can only occur if a Nation bids to host the tournament on their own.
    I think we are a long, long LONG way from that happening south of the USA and possibly Canada.

16. juggernaut

juggernaut New Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    What I hate is that reporters trash talk(Mex Univison especially) the other teams because they never win it.USA and Mexico get to play at home so duh!!!!

17. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Add this to the fact that they both have the most money at their disposal(their respective FAs),the most depth in terms of players to choose from and also,the most well organized leagues.....

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why do you say that? I'm sure the Canadians would bid anytime soon. Just that it's been held in the US for primarily 20 years that it might be off putting to some. I'd love to have Canada bid. See nations have a bit of a bidding war so to speak (not likely I suppose). I wanna see a Costa Rica/Panama bid in a decade.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Why do I say it? Cause it is the truth.
    No country has shown interest in hosting the whole tournament outside of the USA.
    Canada was rumored to be interested in hosting a Group of the 2011 tournament but that did not happen obviously.

20. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    SUM/Soccer United Marketing is preventing this tournament from traveling.....

21. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    If concacaf was serious about developing the tournament, they could provide incentives so other nations would want to step up and host this thing. Things like economic aid for infrastructure enhancement, mediation for TV deals, etc, would make hosting it attractive.

But, concacaf is happy with the status quo (money grab first and foremost, and screw turning this joke into a somewhat serious regional cup).

22. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Prove that Central America can run a UNCAF tournament that isn't a complete bust with empty stadiums and little interest. Asking for aid to support your infrastructure and TV is akin to pouring money into a hole. Soccer is not welfare nor a charity. Given Concacaf a reason to think Central America would host a successful tournament. So far they haven't.

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, but Traffic owns CONCACAF now.

24. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Oh okay...

Who owned CONCACAF previously then?

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Blazer (SUM) was the Gen Sec.
    Now it's Enrique Sanz (Traffic)

Coincidentally (hah!) Traffic now has the marketing rights for the Gold Cup which generates nearly all of CONCACAF's income.