How likely is it for Arena to make surprise choices?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Der Kaiser, Apr 17, 2006.

1. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    This is possible.

2. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    How about neither Albright or specter go and specter just got injuried.

3. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My surprise pick prediction...Bruce takes Albright................as a forward!:eek:

4. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just do not understand comments like this...

Please explain to me what is so HORRIBLE about Olsen in a US uniform?

5. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and I both might be crazy because the thought crossed my mind as well...then it went away.

6. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    The "crime" of playing for DC United.

Seriously, can there be a seperate thread for people obsessed with Ricardo Clark and why he isnt on the MNT.

I'm not saying that Olsen deserves to go or that Clark shouldnt have got more of a shot, but the incessant whining about Clark is downright annoying.

And just for the folks that didnt watch DCU v. Clash-Quakes-1836-Dynamo, Clark got outplayed by two regular BS US MNT N&A punching bags, Olsen and Brian Carroll.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

his lack of talent
    he's a whiny b!tch
    he's a hack who committs silly fouls
    he looks like a caveman

besides that, zidane has nothing on him.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

while I think Clark is better than both you are right that people need to get over him. his time is over for this cycle. After the cup, go crazy. but the time has passed. and though I think Olsen would be beyond a terrible choice for the WC roster, he has a shot to make it. Clark has no shot. People really need to accept that.

9. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Wait, you're talking about Franchino, right?

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no, I'm talking about your little DCU love buddy.

11. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY

If Olsen comes it will be specifically for his attitude..........and the fact that he plays for D.C. United. :rolleyes:

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I respectfully say: screw that. we don't need to waste a roster spot on an a lockerroom guy. What bad seeds do you need to control? is there the need for a calming influence? somebody to keep things loose? There are veterans on this team, funny guys, etc. We don't need somebody to go to Korea just to wave a towel from the bench. if it's that important to bruce he could just hand mooch a towel.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Bruce is secretly thinking of capping TO.

14. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. that was intelligent. i was kinda hopig for an intelligent answer because i just don't understand what all the hate is about. i'm not in love with the guy but he's better than zavaginin. as far as clark, i don't know. clark looks good but i've only seen him briefly play for the US and it was late and against a sub-par team. can't really compare the two based on that.

15. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Here is the deal. Bruce knows which 18-20 players he will select. The remaining 3-5 slots should be filled by players who have a specific role. In that case Olsen fits the bill as a potential mf if we are up by 1 goal. On the flipside, having someone like Justin Mapp might be worthwhile if we are a goal down. These last 3 slots are important if we advance.

16. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    It is not likely, but clearly Arena has made some mistakes by not preparing players with talent.

Mapp has been playing well in MLS for a long time. He is the perfect super sub to add offense. One of Arena's biggest flaws is his use of subs.
    Typically Arena likes to bunker when he has the lead. The list of subs are usually smart verterans that can play D, but have zero flare. Guys like Richie Williams, Armas, Hejduk, KZ, Klein etc have been players that Arena usually has on the bench during the qualifiers.

Guys like Rolfe and Mapp would be great to bring off the bench.

To defend Arena, Albright and Casey got hurt.
    EJ has been a clear investment and could be prety good off the bench if he doesn't start. The same can be said for Dempsey and Convey.

17. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Bruce Arena( I think overall he does a good job) plays Rico Clark at outside back and as right mid b/c he sometimes has problems evaluating talent. It takes him longer to see things sometimes, either that or he's patient to a fault. Remember the last WC cycle when it took forever for him to call in Mathis and Wolff? The guy is not an offensive powerhouse coach at all. He always leans toward the defensive no matter what.

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sorry if you didn't like it, but it's true. he's a whiner on the field. he's not very good. he makes bad challenges that hurts his team and draws stupid cards. how can I make it simpler for you? I wasn't comparing him to clark, either. I have another post on that if you want to read it (trust me, it's illuminating. :D)

19. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Olsen is up for discussion, here are his career US team stats:

2006 6 games 3 starts 256 minutes 2 goals 1 yellow 0 red
    2005 5 games 2 starts 250 minutes 0 goals 0 yellow 1 red
    2004 DNP
    2003 2 games 1 start 90 minutes 0 goals 1 yellow 0 red
    2002 1 game 1 start 75 minutes 1 goal 0 yellow 0 red
    2001 1 game 1 start 85 minutes 0 goals 0 yellow 0 red
    2000 10 games 3 starts 414 minutes 1 goal 2 yellow 0 red
    1999 7 games 5 starts 438 minutes 2 goals 1 yellow 0 red
    1998 1 game 0 starts 17 minutes 0 goals 0 yellow 0 red
    Total 33 games 16 starts 1625 minutes 6 goals 5 yellow 1 red

As for stupid cards, 1 yellow in 256 minutes this year at d-mid isn't a bunch. I don't remember if the card against Japan in the 75th minute was "stupid" or not.

He did get 1 red in the Gold Cup last year (his only one as a US player). Here's how that was described by US soccer's website: "Jamaica’s chances improved markedly in the 58th minute, as Ben Olsen was forced to pull down Andy Williams at the top of the box, who was otherwise alone against Keller."

20. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must admit. These stats are surprising. 6 goals in 16 starts? That's better than most of the forwards we keep bringing in.

The cards are to be expected, especially in his role as a d-mid. He better be playing hard and earning a few cards.

I've never had anything against the guy myself. I've never been lights-out impressed, either. But, I think that's more a result of his style than his ability.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In contrast, Reyna & O'Brien combined have 12 goals in almost 140 games. They have culture, but not goals.

22. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Bruce, if you know what's good for you, cap Chris Rolfe!

(I had to. :D)

23. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Rolfe is good, no doubt, but it seems he is just the flavor-of-the-day on BS right now. We're all looking for another forward so we're going down the line of MLS forwards with some skills. I'm sure in a week or two, there'll be a new name everyone is screaming about, and cursing that they didn't make the WC squad, but should have. First Clark, now Rolfe, next...

24. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Let's argue about the definition of the "Holding" Midfielder. Claudio Reyna is our "Holding" mid. He's the guy who the D mid gets the ball to then distributes it. But his job in Arena's system is to control the pace of the game and keep possesion. Where The F*** does Dempsey exhibit these skills? He's an out and out attacking Mid a la Donovan or Beasley. When Reyna goes down it's going to be JOB and if he's down Donovan fills that role. Dempsey is best utilized behind the forwards in the middle of the pitch where he can use his head on the receiving end of crosses and where he can create a dangerous chance with his talent.

Your analysis is great but I disagree with your description of a Holding Mid.

25. Tobin

Tobin Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Chicago
    Flavor of the day can be turned into "flavor of the last 6 months," as he has had a strong rookie season and continued to be the most dangerous player for at least the Fire in the first 3 games this season. We talk about players that need "service" to score but I see Rolfe as someone who can create shots for himself and others. His two goals have come from others for the Fire, but he has the ability to break down defense on the dribble which Ching and Twellman cannot do. EJ can create space for himself and I consider Wolff decent but nowhere Rolfe's ability.

I think Clark is a great player and deserved to be looked at but had the injury...besides Mastroeni and O'Brien can play the D-mid role better.

However, I cringe when we are considering Wolff, Twellman, and Ching for our forwards. They have all had enough caps to prove how effective or ineffective they are.

Regardless, I dont think Rolfe is going. Waca Waca.