How far will the US advance in WC2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by BigSoccer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. feyenoord!!

feyenoord!! Member

Jun 1, 2004
    USA
    yep, who they playing? :rolleyes:

winning a tournament depends a lot on the draw.

2. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    first round out

3. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That's Mexico. This post is about the US. Quarters again. Guaranteed.

4. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    im not mexican
    and i think i can choose my own options :)

5. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I didn't say you were Mexican. It's just common knowledge that Mexico will be out in the first rounds while the US will make the quarters. You said that the US would be out in the first round so I corrected you. Simple.

6. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably not but if we're a #1 seed we could draw a lousy team or two...

7. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    not far..if they are placed in a difficult group.....last WC group that they were in was fairly easy..only Portugal was the other good squad

8. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    common knowledge ?...what are you on crack ?...its ok if u think MEXICO isnt a good squad or whatever...but anybody that knos football will tell u that in the WC if ur placed in a good group the possibilities of advancing are very high...hell...even a squad like Trinidad can advance if there playing decent football and get put into an easy group....now...getting past the second phase of the WC is a completely diffrent disscusion..

9. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well they could be placed in a group with Spain, Turkey and Saudi Arabia. That would be tricky but they still could go through with Spain.

10. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    good one..and true !!!...but do u honestly think the u.s could have played the exact same confederations cup better than MEXICO ? i seriously doubt it..but i dont want to get off topic here....the issue of whose better in the concacaf and who will qualify first to the WC will be determined on saturday and personally.i...cant wait !!!!! VAMOS MEXICO !!!!!

11. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004

12. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol @ people confidently saying quarters is respectable and semis is the goal... ya gotta get ur heads together... US is deep, more talented and better than in '02... but they will be fortunate to get out of the group stage... I think they goto the round of 16, and Im happy with that...

14. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004

15. goshdarn

goshdarn New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    BethesdaMD
    All US fans should be pleased if the lads pass through the group stage...but that still shouldn't satisfy. A rematch with Germany and downing the home side...now that is satisfaction.

16. Passdeball

Passdeball New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Kingston
    Why did u not list the finals???????????????

17. Passdeball

Passdeball New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Kingston
    HAHAHAHA, we're still on top of the hemisphere, mexico and south america, lol
    typical macho bull............phewweeeeeeeeeee.

18. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    youre still nowhere near of being on top of MEXICO............keep dreaming

19. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Near? I think the Yanks eclipsed Mexico a long time ago!

20. kycelt

kycelt New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Shepherdsville,KY.
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to tell,after the draw in December it might be easier to speculate on how far the boys can progress.

21. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    how in the hell do figure that ? MEXICO still has more overall wins over the u.s
    and i truly feel that with all the progress that has been made with the few decent players that the u.s has that they still havent been able to become even a samall shadow of MEXICO..hopefully in like 10 to 15 years that will all change..because the u.s is the only real competetion that MEXICO still has in the concacaf...and belive it or not im not trying to hate becuase i too am a fan of the u.s..but the reality is, their not even close to the class mentality,and not to mention technique that MEXICO has....

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Oh I agree completely. Mexico has great technique.

I'm not really sure how valid pre-1990 results are now, 15 or more years on, but since then, the US actually has an advantage in results. We're pretty even, but I'd probably give the US the edge simply because of 2002 and whatever (small) advantage US dominance in friendlies is worth.

23. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    i too agree but to see a national teams future..you must first evaluate their past...and MEXICO has always been better...for how long..is unknown

24. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    how's that working for Uruguay and Hungary?

Based on 15 years of results, the US and Mexico are pretty even, but no one seriously disputes Mexico's dominance before then. History's worth something, but if it's not helping Mexico actually beat the US now, I'm not sure how much weight you want to put on it.

25. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yes, a 50 year history is pointless. Teams have emerged and teams fade. Uruguay and Hungary WERE football powerhouses. No more. They're lesser teams then both the USA and Mexico.