How far will the US advance in WC2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by BigSoccer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. barkerjb

barkerjb New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    At this point it will likely come down to who we play in group play. The way I see it, most team are going to be preparing for their game against us. A good coach will be able to exploit us. Part of our success in 02 was the fact that hardly any of our opponents took advantage of our weaknesses, they did not prepare. You can bet that any Euro team we face is going to be 100% ready for their match against us. I see us advancing out of group play, but losing to a Euro side in the second round. If by chance we don't get a European team, then quarterfinals will be our last match.

2. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    true, they have sussed you out now and if you can't put Panama away in regular time then the US team need to work harder come Germany 2006.

3. andythemick

andythemick New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    louisville, ky
    Honestly, its a crap shoot. Unless you are Brazil, you never know if you can/will get out of your group stage (see:France, Argentina circa 2002). You could get put in the group of death, or you could see Norway, Spain and Saudi Arabia. Once into the knockout rounds, its anybody's tournament really. I know that people will scoff, but Germany in 2002 technically speaking had no right to advance as far as they did, and neither did South Korea (who were greatly helped by both being hosts and a string of *ahem* questionable calls).

So, basically, I think that the US can advance to the semis no problem (they were a disallowed goal and a couple of missed Donovan sitters away last time around), but they could very well be out after two games. You just never know. And thats not a cop-out. As usual, I have no point.

4. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This can't be repeated enough...."
    I beg to differ.
    It can, and it has.

5. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as someone else does the 'dirty work' of beating the USA before they run into the Mexicans, it's a possibility.
    Not bisaed?
    Mexico hasn't scored on the US outside of Azteca in like a million years.
    Did something happen to move the WC to Mexico while i was sleeping?

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Agreed on teams being ready for the US, but as forthe US needing to "work harder", well every team out there would need to work harder than they do in their matches against minnows... (Lithuania 0-0 Spain; France 0-0 Israel; Azerbaijan 0-1 England; Moldova 0-1 Italy; Albania 2-1 Greece; Turkey 1-1 Georgia).

Honestly, I wouldn't make too much of the Panama result.

7. 20oth

20oth Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Severn, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are Convey and Albright some of the best in the U.S. DC United improved dramatically when those guys left, the National team would also. Johnson will help when he comes back.

8. thedeuce_2

thedeuce_2 New Member

May 22, 2002
    Virginia
    I voted quarters. I don't think there's any nation we CAN'T beat at this point. Now, that's obviously different from actually doing it. Group play shouldn't be a major obstacle unless we are stuck with a couple strong European nations. In the end I think playing in Germany will be our downfall.

9. Toyindeen

Toyindeen New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    My Friend Remember This Is Not A War Of Terrorism So How Do U Expect Us To Go Far? No Way...

10. loki77

loki77 New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Philadelphia
    A lot will depend on the draw, but the US has the potential to reach the quarters. They need to get over their fear of European soil and win some games.

11. DCunited11

DCunited11 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    heck yes!

12. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    the problem with the US team is that they are playing sh!t teams all the time im their qualifier group so when they come to the World Cup they level of difficulty goes up so much that it's too much for them. They make the groupplay, but nothing more.

13. swhoolie

swhoolie New Member

May 11, 2005
    I am an American, hey Santos Fan y'all think your gonna win against Dorados tomorow? I think you will.

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, that was a real problem in '02, wasn't it?

15. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    i think the'll make it to the semi's but you never know i can see them winning because in a one game playoff you never know in 2002 they defenetly outplayed germany but lost in a one game playoff anythign can happen

16. apmgtv

apmgtv New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Big Lick, VA
    It depends on the draw of course. If we get put in a group of death, then we probably are lucky to make it out of group play. With an easier group, I would say semis is possible. At this point in US soccer history, I just don't want another showing like WC'98. A repeat of '02 would be absolutely great. Anything more would be beyond reasonable expectations.

17. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I think this poll positively has to be stuffed. Semis? Are you kidding? I love the team, but it's a complete crapshoot. Sure, Turkey and S Korea made it to the semis last time-- and neither is likely head and shoulders superior to us (we were fortunate to tie Korea at the WC and a second rate Turkey beat a second rate US in the confed cup)-- but teams of that caliber cannot count on making the semis. Is it possible? Sure. But it will probably take three upsets for us to make it (probably one in group play, one in the round of 16 and certainly in the quarters). The last WC, the only true upset was against Portugal. While the US hasn't gotten blown out in games that count against elite opposition, it also hasn't won many either... Three upsets would be extremely fortunate.

18. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    yeah i think semis are possible but it really depends on the draw if we get stuck with 3 european super clubs were screwed but if we get really lucky i dont think the semi's are impossible

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Sure, if we get really lucky-- we're close enough that anything can happen in a one-off game. But we are absolutely not good enough to be able to count on that happening once, let along three times.

I agree that the draw in the group will make a big difference, but after that, I would find it hard to believe that we won't have to face two very good teams to make it to the semis.

20. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    yeah i agree wiht you that getting our hopes up for a big world cup showing isnt good we shouldnt expect that but be happy if it happens

21. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  22. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Making the quarter-finals again would be respectable.

This U.S. team, after all, will no longer have the element
    of surprise. The Portugals of the world will play them with-
    out complacency.

23. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    I think the US might reach the eights or if they're lucky the quarters, of course it all depends on the group they fall on... I'd personally like to see them going far... There is no need to hope more than that, but we never know, ...

24. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the U.S. didn't exactly have the element of surprise in '02 either. Most American players were pretty well-known by the Portuguese and others. It wasn't so much complacency that did the Portuguese in, it was good old-fashioned under-estimating (although I suppose that is a form of complacency, after all).

I also think that in '98, the U.S. was in a tougher group than last time. Germany were the defending Euro champs and the Yugoslavs had some star power. Ditto Iran, who flat-out outplayed and outhustled (and frankly, embarassed) us in that game.

What will happen in Germany next year? A lot of it of course will depend on the draw. I don't think the U.S. will have a repeat performance of the '98 debacle, but I'm not sure the quarterfinals are in the cards either. The semis? Dream on. I think the round of 16 is a realistic goal, but of course a lot of it depends on the group. Speaking of which, are we going to be in the "B" pool, or worse yet in the "A" pool (made up of the best teams)? If so, and if we can avoid facing a heavyweight (i.e. France, Germany, England, Brazil, Argentina, Holland, Italy, Spain) that would increase our chances of advancing.

25. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WC'06 depends on the group.

We won't get a group like in WC'02 with South Korea, Poland, and an old, unfit Portugal.