How far do you think your team will get?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Christina99, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Di María excepted (and Higuaín outside of Finals), all of the above underwhelm when they put on the albiceleste. Say what you will about Tata, but Argentina at the Copa América Centenario was the last time I remember seeing them play at least level to the sum of their parts :confused:

2. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is true. They havent played that great since. But maybe they can do it again and there lies our hope

3. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sweden is aiming to advance from group stage.
    Further than that is hard since it seems heading against Brazil.
    Stranger things have happened though..we are due a win against Germany,or perhaps Brazil slips a little bit group stage?
    However,beating Mexico and SouthKorea and advancing from group will mean success accomplished for us..and good enough so.

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I'm pretty confident about Denmark making R16, especially with Guerrero apparently out of the picture for Peru. At R16 we would probably face Argentina. I think a match in Europe would give us a fair shot against the Argentines, not 50-50 but 40-60, something like that. Of course, Croatia or even Iceland/Nigeria might win the ultra-competitive Group D, and I would give Denmark at least a 50-50 chance against any of those sides.

So reaching the quarter-finals is certainly doable, but that would be the end of the road, as we would likely face Spain, and a Denmark match against Spain invariably results in Danish grief and despair.

5. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Costa Rica - would love to get out of the group stage, but seems unlikely.

DaniChandler repped this.
  6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #31 Iranian Monitor, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    I am sufficiently confident that Iran can surprise, but certainly cognizant of the tough group we have and the fact that Spain and Portugal would be favorites and Morocco are also another team to respect. If history repeats itself, we will end up with 1 point and 4th in our group or, at best, 3 points and 3rd but will give each of our opponents a close match.. On the other hand, many Iranian fans are expecting to change that history for the better. What I can say, overall and in general, is I don't see Iran such a shabby side to go into a game against any side hopeless. The result will be determined by how well or poorly we play and our opponent plays on the day in question, the mistakes each make, perhaps officiating and the calls the referee makes, and whether our players can rise to the occasion and make those right instantaneous decisions that can often decide a game. The odds don't favor us, but there is a quiet confidence within Iran's team that does.

If we do advance from our group, we have a good chance (almost 50/50) to make the quarterfinal as we will face a Group A team and none of them are much better than Iran.

7. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I am pretty sure that Colombia will face Germany in the quarter finals; England and Belgium should Colombia top their group and one of them we're facing which I am not particularly concerned about. I know that we're not as strong as Germany and would need a ********ing miracle to make it to the semis...

8. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1% group stage fail
    80% 1/16
    15% 1/8
    4% 1/4

9. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My team is France. I expect them to at least reach the semfinals.

Nico777 repped this.
  10. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What's their path? Like favorites to win the group and likely to face if favorites win as expected?

11. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If they win their group, they have a pretty straightforward path through the knockout stages. Also, their semifinal would be the first of the two -- a huge incentive if they want to get to the final.

12. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wel what countries in the knockout stage?

13. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Semi finals seem very possible. Few months ago i considered french team as a major threat to win the title but i am less convinced now.
    I think there are pieces missing...goalkeeper, left back right back, midfielders are not world champions material. But i believe there is enough talent in the team to make a deep run.

soji22 repped this.
  14. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Round 16 vs argentina croatia nigeria iceland

1/4 spain portugal uruguay

15. Donal

Donal Member

Arsenal
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 13, 2018
    Ireland:
    We'll make it to round 16 in the pub.

16. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Panama: We'll be playing the group stage, what a moment! Can't wait ;)

Pønch and Paul Calixte repped this.
  17. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I fully understand not being concerned about England but to dismiss Belgium so easily is a mistake. I saw Colombia play Australia the other week and I don't think Belgium will be very worried.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The match you saw was an experimental lineup and unfortunately Borja missed so many chances.

I hope you are right though and Belgium expects a lineup like that if we play them with no worries( cause they will be shocked at how much better Colombia can play and they can be stunned with a sucker punch).
    What they should be looking at is the second half of the France - Colombia match to get a more accurate depiction of what they may have to face.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  19. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes I fully appreciate Colombia are a very good team but so are Belgium and though unreliable they still have two midfield players that would get in any team in the world. Still as in 1986 it is probably best to go into the tournament anticipating very little.

20. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France are expected to win Group C. In the Round of 16, they would face the second-placed team in Argentina's group, which I predict will be either Croatia or Nigeria. Interestingly enough, four years ago in Brazil, we played Nigeria in the Round of 16. After that would be a quarterfinal showdown with either Spain or Portugal. Either one of those teams will be tough. The semifinals could see us take on Brazil whom we have beaten historically in World Cup knockout matches. In the final, we'd play either Germany or Argentina. Ours would be the first semifinal which happens 24 hours earlier than the second one. That extra day's rest can be crucial come the title decider.

21. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    The last option you gave only 1% chance turned out to be correct lol. Another prove that you should always consider all eventualities.

Every Four Years repped this.