How even small-time neocons can label terrorism victims as "soft on terror"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Michael K., Oct 26, 2004.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, mercilessly flogging the dead, bloated corpse of civil discourse in campaigns, Part 109,437.

The twisted, Roveian, say-anything-to-get-elected-no-matter-how-contemptible frame of mind that sadly guides so many Republicans extends much further than just the national races. Here's a frankly sickening example from, of all places, rural southeastern Ohio. It would be almost funny if it weren't among the crassest things I've seen.

Incumbent state senator Joy Padgett's (R) campaign recently distributed a flyer showing her opponent, Terry Anderson (D) as he interviewed a member of Hezbollah, along with a eminently sensible and self-reflective quote he made in the wake of 9/11, in order to show that he was soft, no, he was a DIRTY LIBRRAL FRIEND OF THE TERRORISTS AND AN AMERICA HATER! A glimpse:

[​IMG]

Why, after all, was this man sitting and talking with terrorist leaders?
    Perhaps you'll remember that Terry Anderson was, in fact, America's most famous hostage in the Middle East, being held by Hezbollah for seven damned years during the 1980s. And long after he'd been released and reclaimed his life, he was there sitting talking with the man who helped hold him captive because he had the balls to go back and ask him why.

Final analysis: Republicans hate terrorism victims.

There's a bit more on this in the link in my sig, but you're really much, much better off just reading Terry's graceful response to this disgrace.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable...yet believable. That's about as low as you can get.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely disgusting. :mad:

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i.e., par for the course.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's pretty ********ed up.

Where are the Reeps on this board saying that's alright for her to do?

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet Padgett's campaign continues to defend the ad!!! That's what's amazing about the whole thing. They got called on it, and taking a page out of the Bushco. playbook, deny that there was anything wrong with it. Wow...

Crazy enough, she called it "a staged media stunt" on the part of Anderson, after he walked out of the debate and refused to be seen with Padgett for the remainder of the campaign.

I'm hoping national news media picks up on this. This is astounding, really, a new low, and I wasn't sure we could find one.

7. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    This woman and her campaign "tactics" are beneath contempt. I would have loved to have been in the meeting when they came up with this sh!t. I can't imagine how one gets the idea to attack a former hostage, then gets other people to go along with it.

8. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Her local TV ad calls Terry 'an outsider from New York, the land of Hillary Clinton (showing pic of Hillary).'

I have heard him speak on Columbus Public Radio and knew he was interested in running for something. He is teaching at OU, right?

If I could vote for him, I would.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's an emeritus or something at the Journalism school (several of my friends, including a lurker on this board, are in the J-school) but to my knowledge he no longer teaches. He owns a good blues bar on Court St., which should be enough of a moneymaker for anyone, not counting the fact that I've heard he got a lot of money in a settlement from Lebanon, enough to set him up for life (not that you'd make that trade willingly.)

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This Republican (admittedly a Kerry Republican) finds Padgett's tactics despicable. Three cheers for Terry Anderson for walking out! (Any idea how the polls are shaping up in the race.)

11. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    it would be stupid to not capitalize on his statement of "Are we willing to accept that they hate us, not because they're crazy, but because we've done something wrong?" but the way they did it is even more stupid... If people aren't swayed by this smear tactic, they may be by his response, "I'm not soft on terrorism. How could I be? They locked me up for seven years."

Obviously, this is a low blow but to say "par for the course" is bullsh.it I havent seen anything close to this from other campaigns

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think 'not getting it' would get old, but somehow these people persevere.
    What about that statement would sway people away from him to his idiotic opponent?
    Read up on Karl Rove and get back to us on that one.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    New York is the land of Hillary Clinton? Irony.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Padgett is not the only local Republican running a smear campaign in Ohio. Unfortunately, I can't remember which office it was for, but I saw an advert this morning that was flinging more more ridiculous mud.

Local elections have usually been pretty clean, but the Republicans seem to be taking this to a whole new level. (I admit that local-level Democratic mudslinging ads may be out there, I just haven't seen any.)

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You can ask John McCain and Ann Richardson - they'll be happy to tell you how neocons run their campaigns.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the same ad, she slams him for being a "former member of the liberal national media", for "wanting to raise taxes", and for "wanting to let gays marry". She says nothing about herself, except that she's against all that stuff.

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's running for office, it's not about her.

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just threw up in my mouth.

The faster we vote her out, the faster we get a Senator who actually gives a rats ass about New York, Like Schumer and like D'Amato.

That is defintiely ironic

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I see proof of neocons taking over the Republican party it makes me want to cry. Cans somebody send a letter bomb to Rove and end our misery, please?
    I will never vote for a neocon. EVER

I have no party anymore.

21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Expect a visit from homeland security...about 2:30 AM. Covered under the patriot act for this post.....!

You should surface in about 7 years.

22. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Max Cleland
    John McCain
    Swift Boat VFT....

23. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    nothing, the smear tactic was referring to her ads.. i would think people would be endeared to him because of that statement, if not just because she sunk so low to try to win..

im very aware of the tactics of karl rove, but this isnt 2000... show me examples of campaigning for postions this cycle that sunk lower than this..

Swift Boat Vets is just a little bit different than an ad certified by the candidate, dont you think? Jeeze guys, i was agreeing with you that it was dirty politics, as i think anyone would, but the fact is that things like this have not been "par for the course" in 2004...

And yes, the smearing of McCain was terrible, probably worse than this, but i was only speaking on the campaings Reeps against Dems in these elections.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    But it is a signature Rove move, to use a proxy to attack the opponent so the candidate doesn't come out looking dirty.

There were considerable begging from McCain, links between the Swifties and Bush campaign coming to light and Kerry's poll numbers taking a hit before Bush denounced the Swifties.
    Yeah, but the topic's about neocons, and for neocons, anyone who's against them, Reeps or Dems, is fair game.

25. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exclusively? Such specificity suggests Reps have a corner on unethical campaigning. Do you believe that?

How about...

The say-anything-to-get-elected-no-matter-how-contemptible frame of mind that sadly guides so many partisan sheep, regardless of party affiliation...

Of all the things to express outrage over, this made your priority list, eh? Personally, I find Anderson's statement in the wake of 9/11 substantially more "crass".

One day, 3000 families lose a loved one, and many thousands lose a friend, because murdering "infidels" and destruction of our society is part of the agenda of intolerant religious fanatics.

A few weeks later someone says, "Are we willing to accept that they hate us, not because they're crazy, but because we've done something wrong?"

And you call that "eminently sensible and self-reflective"?

I call it eminently insensitive, simple-minded, and -- at best -- devoid of knowledge about al Qaeda's agenda, or -- at worst -- outright apologetic on behalf of the perpetrators.

Having been a victim of terrorists neither gives Anderson automatic legitmacy on the subject, nor insulates him from criticism.

I see. :D

Very "analytical".