How do your high-school music faves hold up?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bojendyk, Dec 1, 2004.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to add that I forgot Neil Young, who was an absolute God to me in high school and still is great in my book. That reminds me, I think I need to pull out the the decade CD.

2. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    i'm loads older than you, but the music of the 80s has substantially informed my aesthetic. the 80s brought the new-age, post-punk trends into a different focus, and Euro-synth turned into a pop craze that mushroomed into truly grim excess. but the 'good' bands, like Ultravox, Psy Furs and other pre-goth groups like Simple Minds, Echo and..., Joy Division, New Order put an indelible mark on my music compass.

i love "Lament" and "The Ghost in You"

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Camper Van Beethoven: still listen to them

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    How could I forget Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper??

I still think their music is a lot of fun, and as "good" as it ever was! It's a shame Mojo has retired from making music! At least I got to see him live a few years ago at the 7th St. Entry in Mpls.

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Hmmm...where to start??

Stone Roses, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, etc, etc...yep! still holds up.

De La Soul - You bet.

Wax Trax stuff - Eh...not really. Although Meat Beat Manifesto's first two albums still rule. I can listen to some Ministry for fun.

New Order - heck yea.

The Cure - Sure, why not. Disintegration came out around that time, and that's still one of their best albums.

Other than that...I listened to old and new stuff then, so I couldn't just talk about what was being put out then.

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Class of '93, but parallel worlds here. Siamese Dream was the soundtrack to my freshman year of college, that and Snoop's Doggystyle. I'll give Siamese Dream the first semester though.

As for high school.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned yet, at least for those who graduated in the early 90's. Has held up pretty well, at least when you feel like you wanna rock out with your c*ck out.

Fishbone - Reality of My Surroundings
    I just loved this band, one of the best live shows you will ever see, although not so much now with a couple of the mainstays leaving. Angelo Moore has so much energy on stage. The band hasn't aged well, but this was their high point. Still good funky music and serves that purpose well.

Nirvana - Nevermind
    One of the albums of the 90's. Enough said. Held up very well.

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
    LOVED Three Days, to echo servotron's post. I skip Been Caught Stealin' every time, just overplayed to death, but the rest of the album is still very listenable.

Pearl Jam - Ten
    Another great Seattle grunge album, and the band has aged well, on their own terms at least. Very nostalgic to listen to now.

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    This was my favorite of all the Seattle bands, even Nirvana. I listen to this album as much or evne more than any of the others on this list, although I've been on a Nirvana binge recently, since the Nevermind Album Survivor.

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
    I didn't think of this one until the end, cuz this one has aged like a fine wine, in my opinion. Not on the level of Paul's Boutique, but essential nonetheless.

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    One of the best live shows I've ever seen was Mojo Nixon on New Year's Eve at Club Clearview (I think) in Dallas. Absolutely a blast.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not me. I wasn't really into music that much, but the stuff I liked in high school (school of '89) was the most shlock, insipid, banal stuff out there. And the stuff I hated (such as Cindi Lauper, whose videos were a bit overplayed back then) I now like. I really didn't develop a personal musical taste until after I was 25.

9. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    This album came out when I was in seventh grade, so I didn't really count it as one of my high-school faves. But I did listen to this album incessantly when it first came out.

I'm glad to see you chose this album instead of Superunknown. Everyone thinks that Superunknown is their best, but I just think it's a letdown. Basically, they forgot how to rock. If I'm going to listen to Soundgarden, I'm going to put on Badmotorfinger.

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Sister Christian rocked in the 80's, and it still rocks today!

11. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Class of '83

I still love to listen to this album

[​IMG]

12. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Badmotorfinger is far superior to Superunknown, although "Like Suicide" is my favorite Soundgarden song.

Class of '97
    I caught onto Grunge a little late, being from a small town, but was a die-hard Pearl Jam fan throughout highschool. Grunge for me isn't nearly as relevent anymore, though. It's hard to sulk all day when you grow up :)

Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
    The first CD I owned, maybe just before highschool. Does not hold up! Songs like "Back Off B*^@h" don't really resonate, and it is rather embarrassing that they ever did.

Pearl Jam - Vs.
    At this point I had caught up to Grunge, and I actually have one of the cool, hard-to-open jewel cases. This album with Vitalogy are still great to listen to when you want to rock out.

Veruca Salt - American Thighs
    The best chick-rock band that I bought an album for. I'd still listen to this, unlike Fluffy, a band of four attractive women that really sucked.

Pulp Fiction Soundtrack - Various Artists
    This and the Reservoir Dogs Soundtrack were very cool because of their campiness. The music behind the over-quoted movie of my four years of highschool. I would still listen to this album, if only for nostalgic memories of the movie.

Quango

13. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I seriously believe Kim Thayil is the most underrated guitarist of the past 15 years.

14. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '88, and i dont really think in terms of albums as in terms of performers, my faves between 84-88 were Pixies, REM, Husker Du, Replacements, Soul Asylum, Big Dipper, Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jr, Camper Van Beethoven, Tad, Loop, ...stuff like that, not remembering all of them. Most of those bands I saw live at some point. Loop was the loudest npoise I ever heard in my life, imagine standing UNDER a 747 as it takes off and that might come close. Loop was 10 times louder than the Ramones even. I think I still have hearing damage from that show.

Anyway from the sounds of it most of the stuf I like is the stuff everyone else here who grew up then liked too, which is wierd, because I swear there weren't that many of us back in the day. Maybe BS has drawn the best minds of our generation. :)

15. Ronaldo T Willemski

Ronaldo T Willemski New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brizroy

Undertow-TOOL

Smash- Offspring, shame everything since has been toilet. They well and truely suck now.

Badmotorfinger- Soundgarden. Jesus Christ pose stills cuts it.

The Bends- Radiohead. Street spirit is just fantastic

Oasis- Definately Maybe. Columbia, need i say more

16. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Class of '85. Some of my faves hold up better than others. Those that still sound good today (at least to my ears):

The Jam - Basically everything in their catalogue.
    U2 - Everything up through The Unforgettable Fire
    The Clash - Everything up through London Calling
    The Ramones - Ramones, Rocket to Russia, and Leave Home
    The Replacements - Let It Be
    Prince - Purple Rain
    Duran Duran - Duran Duran
    R.E.M. - Chronic Town, Murmur, and Reckoning
    Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
    Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain and New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)
    Blondie - Parallel Lines
    The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
    Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power
    Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
    The Smiths - The whole schmear
    Wire - Pink Flag
    Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
    Lou Reed - Transformer

17. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2001. Yes, I'm a kid, but I like this thread too much to not say something.

I've always just kind of listened to, well, whatever. I generally don't listen to the radio, and I almost never know who's 'big' at any given time. I was much more into music in junior high, actually. So I'll just list whatever I happened to listen to.

Lenny Kravitz: 5 - Never stopped listening to this album once I got it. My favorite track was probably Supersoulfighter. I got it just before the second Austin Powers movie came out and the album was re-released with American Woman. I don't like the original. I can't stand Kravitz's version. Overall the album holds up well, but I can't bring myself to buy his music since he's been seen in GAP commercials serenading Sarah Jessica Parker.

Sarah McLachlan: Surfacing - Tired of it, mostly. Albums before and since are much more worth it.

No Doubt: The Return of Saturn - Came out during a stretch when I never, ever listened to the radio. Didn't even know it came out for a year. Not nearly as tired as Tragic Kingdom, but still not what it used to be.

Moby: Play - Tired. Good, but tired.

Enya: Paint the Sky With Stars - I still played it very often until my CD of it was damaged beyond repair. I need to get another soon.

Korn: This basically goes for all the angry rock I used to listen to: I can't stand it anymore. Doesn't do a thing for me. Except...

White Zombie/Rob Zombie: You got it, I listen to Enya and the occasional White Zombie. I'm a little confused. Actually, I don't like it enough to own (I think I only own 10 CDs), but I'll still listen to it given the chance. I'm a fan of Living Dead Girl. Always have been. Probably always will be.

Not of my time, but I still listened to it:

They Might Be Giants: Flood - Love it. I'm not totally into their weirdness, and some of the tracks I find unlistenable, but Whistling in the Dark is always good, and Minimum Wage is the best < 1 minute track ever. Not that there's much competition, but whatever.

U2: Joshua Tree - Still good. Favorite is Red Hill Mining Town.

The Cars: Anything other than You Are My God Tonight. Literally anything but that song.

Aerosmith: Get a Grip - I don't like it near as much as I used to, but I'll still listen to the whole thing. This album is inherently tied to memories of my childhood, wasting the entire summer with my sister watching Daisy Fuentes and Aerosmith on MTV.

18. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dan Loney again.

Class of '95

Morrissey: "Your Arsenal" & "Vauxhall & I" Grammy nods... and "Seasick Yet Still Docked" is even better than "I know It's Over"...

The Ocean Blue: Paid the price for being signed to Mercury...

Kitchens of Distinction: "The Death of Cool"

New Order :"Republic"

Riverside: "One"

Suede: "Suede"

Blur: "Modern Life Is Rubbish"

Too Much Joy: "Cereal Killers" and "Mutiny"

My Lord, I have incredibly good taste...

19. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago

Nah, neither of those records has anything on Louder Than Love, Screaming Life, or the early single, "Flower." Badmotorfinger is when they made the leap to Big Rock, and although that period has its moments, for me, their slow, dirgey, rainy, low-end, loud, early stuff is the best. Screaming Life is one of those records that, like the early TAD and the first few Wipers records, whenever I put it on, I can feel the bad weather and wet pavement and see the slate-gray sky from my high school days in Seattle.

Have you heard "Flower"?

20. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, I forgot Joe Jackson!

I was listening to "I'm The Man" last night (the entire album) and just had a blast. Most of the early stuff is great - guitar, bass (Graham Maby!), drums and piano, just wailing away, and the arrangements are spectacular. He lost me after "Body And Soul", though.

21. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    I can't believe I forgot this one. Without this album (or this band) there is no Korn or nu-metal, period. Some of you would cheer that development, but Faith No More were original and this is their signature album. Forget Epic and "The Real Thing" album, this is Faith No More at it's best. I still listen to it.

22. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not much of a music freak, but I know you'd be interested in a more mature point of view. :)

Class of '62
    Still KING - ELVIS
    Still doing it on the Oldies Stations - Chubby Checker, Bill Haley, Dave Clark 5, Fats Domino
    Lost in the years - Johny Mathis, Pat Boone, Nat King Cole, Harry Belafonte
    Still blowin in the wind - Bob Dylan

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word! The first three albums are classic. Side one of their debut album is about as good as early-70's hard rock gets.

So that wraps up what I was listening to in junior high in the early 80's (I was always out of step).
    I was in high school 83-86. I discovered punk and post-punk halfway through my junior year.

The Minutemen still hold up, although it's been years since I listened to anything but Double Nickels on the Dime.
    Husker Du still holds up, although I don't think I'd care for their post-New Day Rising work as much anymore.
    The first three Ramones albums are still great, but I can't be bothered with much of anything else.
    I haven't heard "Meat Puppets II" in over a decade. I'd love to discover that holds up with time.
    "Daydream Nation" came after I graduated--and is one of my all-time favorite albums, but "Evol" and "Sister" still rock. I haven't heard "Bad Moon Rising" since I unloaded my vinyl over a decade ago.

Good times.

24. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big Joe Jackson fan and I love Graham Maby. I discovered quite by accident that not only does he currently reside in central NJ, but that he's a neighbor of one of my wife's running partners.

I remember listening to "Big World" in Amsterdam on my honeymoon. :)

25. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    The last line of your sig: where did you get that from?