How Do You Replace a Legend? - The Transfers, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jun 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Absolutely, and it's quite entertaining as well. It's intriguing because, just as some people prefer college basketball or football over the professional leagues, the British second division has a similar appeal to me.

Shay Z repped this.
  2. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Of course. They did the same thing to Zidane and he's a legend.

People want to complain for the sake of complaining sometimes. Look everywhere in the internet and Kroos was one of our best players against City. Look here and he's the reason we lost "as always". Confirmation bias is a thing and sometimes unavoidable.

3. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Interesting point re Toni, some truth to it too, maybe we drew because Vin, Rodrygo and Jude fluffed chances, or Lunin could have done better with that freekick, luck as always plays a huge part, like some pointing to our “deflections”, I’d be surprised if Gravdiol, in a game situation, could take a shot like that 10 times and score more than once if at all, lucky for him and City it went in this time, in the end everyone has different opinions and people are free to choose who they would rather blame for the draw

4. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I think both teams were lucky with their goals, you don't see those very often.

Bear Crotch, Shay Z, 4x4s and 4 others repped this.
  5. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    The drew the game because we conceded.

We conceded because space City wasn't given prior all of a sudden wss there and they took advantage.

Who gave the space?

Did Carlo see this and make an adjustment or substitution to address this issue?

I get people have their favorites but the most pathetic thing about social media and online discussion is the gaslighting where people can't accept criticism of those they favor and try to make it another issue.

Vinicius is obviously one of my favorites and I have absolutely crushed him on here with criticism. I didn't tell people not to be critical of his misses because I can't take the idea of players I like being held accountable.

arcane and boeder repped this.
  6. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #11481 Digital, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    So, clarifying, if fans are unhappy with Vin and Rodrygo through the game thread because of fluffed chances, I would imagine that’s because they are doing something that is detrimental to the team and the performance of the team and affects the result, rather than the individuals themselves, to then completely absolve them of having some responsibility for the result seems completely illogical to me, it just cannot be both things, but that’s my take solely, for me football is the team,

I think Vin Rodry and Jude missed chances, Lunin could have done better, Toni failed to close Gravdiol fast enough, all of them are responsible for the draw, my view, Vin, Rodry, Lunin and Toni are players I like on this team, although many like to go that route this isn’t about like or dislike, this is about logic IMHO, I understand my view is different to others, which is fair enough , now , on to tomorrow’s game.

RoadMan and 4x4s repped this.
  7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Also, there's a lot of talk about who dominated the game but the truth is both teams executed their plan as they intended to for parts of the game.

I know some people imagine that you take the field against an elite opponent and you absolutely have him out of all sorts and he can't figure you out but that doesn't happen unless one of the two teams performs terribly.

There's this idea of "omg, we could have won if we had done this!" but it requires that the opponents stand still like an oaf and doesn't respond to anything which is rare in the case where elite teams face each other. It's always details.

Deep Pal, hector_br and J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Yes.. and I was heavily critical of most of these guys yet fanboys get made and seem to pinpoint specific players to whine about me being critical about.

Why is it so terrible to hold players accountable?

Why is it I'm a bad guy because I rightfully stated Kroos played well then stopped pressing and it led to those two goals? Did that not happen? Did Carlo not sub him immediately after the second time they scored off exploiting him?

Why is it so bad to hold Vinicius accountable as the star of this team who is a forward so he needs to make his chances count and yet he missed two great ones and three total? I mean even on the first blunder by Lunin he moves away from the wall for some reason and that is what gave City their opening to make that odd angled shot.

It's so odd that all I have said is point out mistakes and say these guys need to do better. Those are the facts.

arcane and hector_br repped this.
  9. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Tbf

you have been one of Kroos’ biggest critics throughout the years

to also be fair, he’s deserved a lot of that criticism

10. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    I am critical of every player I like. Have you not realized that by now? Like I have a higher expectation for them and when they don't meet it... I'm disappointed. Really look back and see how hard I come down on some of them.. I will get accused of hating Benzema, turning on Cristiano, etc.

Understand this about me. I came for the old school culture of "be happy when the coach is critical of you because it shows he still cares... it's when he doesn't say nothing.. that's when you have a problem".

The issue is that people nowadays don't understand this concept, can't handle any criticism and feel everything is shaming, hating, etc.

It's one thing if I'm being destructive and saying Kroos/Vinicius can never be good, has never been, etc. I haven't. Go back in that match thread and see where I praised Kroos for playing so well but then he fell apart shortly afterwards. I'm not going to ignore that just because I like him and had Carlo ignored it we wouldn't have scored an equalizer and likely would had conceded another.

It's even ironic because they love watching competition but are so anti-competition and cave at the thought of what actually made these players they like so much so damn great in the first place.

Deep Pal, J-Mezzy and hector_br repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Holy Wall of Text.

12. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019
  13. Beowulf112

Beowulf112 Member

Real Madrid
    Croatia
    Jun 3, 2018
    I dont know but considering he renewed three months ago and is almost the most expensive player in squad at that age he wont be cheap option at all.Englishmen dont come at low cost.

14. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    The cheaper he comes the better it is for us, obviously, but it also covers our backside a little bit if he doesn't rebound back to his top form. A 25M FB being only mediocre is easier to swallow than a 50M FB being mediocre. He will be on good wages regardless. I don't mean to sound negative as i think he will be good for us but the thought occured to me that coming in as a reasionably priced player changes expectations a little bit.

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't like the way he's playing it and i certainly wouldn't like to see one of our guys do it.

Incredibly unprofessional. If you don't want to extend your deal, fine. If you are not happy with the offer, fine. Not responding to offers at all, why should Bayern then help you to facilitate the move you want?

I feel like the way it worked out with Bellingham was ideal.

16. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    We do have experience handling that!

17. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019

Anon., boeder and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  18. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    STOP THE PRESSES!

Digital repped this.
  19. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Yup, the way he's playing now is not doing him any favours with his new club either. The minute he goes through a rough patch you know the questions are going to pop up about his work ethic. I mean is this different than from when Hazard pulled that crap for a season at Chelsea?

Dr. MvN repped this.
  20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At this point, Davies will be judged in CL. Bayern will be even more lax in Bundesliga with nothing to play for. If Davies handles Saka well and provides offensive output while knocking out Arsenal, main convo will be how he cancelled out all the noise in big games despite Bayern media attacking him and his agent ever since he decided to leave.

21. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I saw a lot of praise for Nunes last week, but Yamal kid absolutely cooked him for the first goal. Must have been relieved when Xavi took Yamal after the red card. Two way FBs are very rare these days.

Anon. and Halycon repped this.
  22. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    He's still only 21, he's overall solid and better than Mendy.

23. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He was 21 2 years ago. :)

24. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    He's born in 2002; he's 21 turning 22. :)

25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    My bad, I thought you were talking about Davies.

Mendes not a big fan when I've seen him but he's young.