How Do You Replace a Legend? - The Transfers, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jun 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    QSG can have Rashford. They should stay away from our players.

RMadrid2222 repped this.
  2. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    Unfortunate truth. Rodrygo seems like someone at this stage of his career that, if there's an attacker on the field who's above him in the hierarchy, that he submits to it and struggles to impose himself when given the chance. Somewhat understandably, given that he's the one who ends up being shifted to the RW and playing out of his preferred position, and he's not as good on that side as he is on the left, but in any case it seems we see the best of Rodrygo when Vini isn't around, and in particular that December spell when we saw a fair bit of combination play with Rodrygo and Jude.

I want to believe in Rodrygo, and I do think a world class player is in there, but whether that is going to happen at Real Madrid is a different question that I can't answer with confidence. He might need to go elsewhere to take that jump.

Açores57, Bear Crotch and Raul-7 repped this.
  3. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Selling Rodrygo would be stupid. We need him. I think Modric is done after this season and I see Kroos staying max 1 more year.

If we get Mbappe I assume we just go back to 433. You would have Belli, Cama, Tchou and Fede for the midfield. Best players (in form) start and would leave you with one very good sub. Ultimately with all injuries etc I think they would get even minutes at the end of the season.

Would leave you with Vini, Mbappe, Rodrygo for the attack. With Brahim, Endrick and Arda as back ups. If we sell Rodrygo, we need a replacement or switch back to 4312, but then we need an extra midfielder (assuming Kroos and Modric are gone).

Just splash the cash this summer for Mbappe, Davies, (RB) and Yoro and we are done spending for the coming 5 - 8 years. Squad would be insane.

Serengeti_Boy and RMadrid2222 repped this.
  4. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We should get a RW to play RW instead of using a LW there.

5. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9880 MiamiNative0722, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024

Here is a lengthy and interesting Twitter thread comparing Miguel’s current season with Fran’s current season and his last year at Rayo using advanced analytics.

In short, there doesn’t seem to be much of a statistical difference. Fran is 2 years older however.

Shay Z, Excape Goat and boeder repped this.
  6. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    The problem is that we aren't currently getting the Fran from Rayo.

Anon. repped this.
  7. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    I'm actually content with Mendy and Fran. With the former, I think he's over criticised here. With Fran, I think he has massive potential, just needs to find tune a few things and be more confident.

Right back is the place that needs to be addressed.

MerlinRM, arcane, Dr. MvN and 4 others repped this.
  8. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Mendy's performance has been severely lacking for two seasons, plagued by injuries and errors to the extent that CA felt compelled to use a central midfielder in his position rather than risk another Mendy mishap. However, with his contract nearing its renewal phase or perhaps finally overcoming his long-term injury, his form has shown improvement. It's worth noting that the Mendy from a couple of seasons ago would have been the ideal choice to support the likes of Jr, Mbappe, and Kroos on the left flank. While his recent improvements are promising, I remain cautious about both renewing his contract and relying on him as the primary left-back.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  9. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The difference in pressure level of playing for Rayo and playing for us is huge IMO, it will undoubtedly affect some players, not to mention the quality of the players around him will make a difference, Fran is probably not seeing as much of the ball as he did at Rayo where it looked like he was zooming down that LW at will and being a constant attacking threat, that just won’t happen with us, especially not with Vin ahead of him, it will be the same for Miguel, still, I think it’s too early to write off Fran

Ssr9 and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  10. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Why so many more rumors for LB (Davies, Miguel) than RB, when our RBs are both 32, with one often injured and the other actually a makeshift RW?

Anon., Raul-7 and Bear Crotch repped this.
  11. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mendy will probably move on and there are options on the market if management doesn't see Fran panning out.

Problem is exactly what you've said. We've neglected certain areas of the team for a long time. At some point we can't pass the buck to the next season so RB and now CB needs to be addressed next year.

temesgen repped this.
  12. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    #9887 REALFOREVER, Feb 8, 2024
    I have my doubts about Davies coming this summer.

If Floro throws the piggy bank to grab Mbappe, then it wouldn't surprise me if they try to drag the Davies saga out to get him on a free if Bayern doesn't play ball. Davies also has been injured alot and I haven't seen the Old Davies in a while. He is out 2 to 3 weeks again.

And I am fairly certain no matter what happens, Mendy is not getting extended because management have never contemplated any sort of extension. And Mendy's agent has been trying to get one for years. So the most likely scenario is that he gets sold with 1 year on his contract.

So there is a scenario where they bring Miguel back on the cheap and go one year with Miguel/Fran. If Fran doesn't turn it around then he could be sent packing. Because if he can't cut it as a back-up because of the pressure after 2 years, I don't think he has a future with Madrid. And this is coming from someone who thought he was the best La Liga LB at Rayo.

Shay Z and Anon. repped this.
  13. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    We don't need Davies if Mbappe is actually coming. What we need IMO is a shift in formation and to go with 3 CBs so we can have 4 midfielders and 3 attackers up front.

We could easily play Camavinga (LM) and Valverde (RM) in this role because both have played FB or a role similar. Tchouameni can still anchor and Bellingham cam move freely.

Workrate from a trident of Vinicius, Mbappe (supposed) and Rodrygo and we have an absolute machine on our hands.

Carvajal can play RM or RCB. Fran Garcia as a back LM. Ceballos as backup for Jude's free role. We already have attackers to fill the trident (Brahim, Endrick, Joselu, Arda).

I feel this is a no-brainer that would actually use our 4 midfielding geniuses to their best while incorporating another superstar attacker with our Brazilian duo.

Bear Crotch, Digital, Ahmadi8 and 2 others repped this.
  14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Because one of our rightbacks is Lord Lucas Vazquez, who is possibly immortal.

Have you ever seen him die before? Me neither, case closed!

Deep Pal, sneakking, libertao and 4 others repped this.
  15. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    #9890 temesgen, Feb 8, 2024
    I've advocated a lot of 343; and I like Camavinga dropping into a line of 4 in transition but slotting into midfield when we are in possession. Especially with Rudiger getting so good with his long range passing. Being very direct in that sort of flexible formation would be a good option.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Latest rumor is their latest offer is comfortably ahead of ours, and he's been very complimentary of them in the past weeks.

18. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Deep Pal, Ahmadi8 and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  19. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to trigger his buyback clause without doubt. Whether he stays with us or not is the other question, but it's a win win for us either way.

If we buy him for 8 million and flip him for 25-40 million, he can bankroll most of the Davies transfer. Or we can just keep him.

Deep Pal and Ssr9 repped this.
  20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is the thing though, we attack the players when they think money first but here we see Miguel as an attractive investment option. It kind of sucks doesn't it?

libertao repped this.
  21. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you're on some moral crusade against the club lately, but no I don't get your point.

We invest in the academy to create talented youth players. Some of them have the quality to make it to the first team, most don't. Many of them do have top flight quality and are then sold for a profit for the club. Are you trying to say this is some shitty practice? Does it suck for Miguel that we invested in his development and now the player that he is can get us a financial return as a result of a mutually agreed buyback clause?

Deep Pal, Shay Z, Ssr9 and 6 others repped this.
  22. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    Hakimi is a good example of this.

Also, in hindsight we should have sold Asensio when his valuation was 100m or so, but we kept him thinking he’d be a top winger for years to come.

Glad we kept Fede and didn’t sell when we could have back in 2019 for a good profit.

We can only play 11 at a time and I’m all for developing and retaining players, but we also have to take a pragmatic approach to the squad and also the financial/business aspect of the club - it sporting project and results are always the priority.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's a give and get really. I think like in all fields of work, good performers get better treatment.

Likewise for PSG, if Mbappe would be a Lavezzi tier player they'd giftwrap him for us

24. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We stopped doing buyback and sell thing ever since Negredo in 2009. We have 50% sell on clause so if we don't want to keep Miguel, we will collect that money when Girona accepts the offer much like Hermoso to Atlético deal where RM and Espanyol had 50% stake each.

Anyways, Davies future will be decided by summer so we will have clarity on Miguel too. If Davies renews, we can get Miguel back for 8 ME and have him as potential Mendy replacement.

Shay Z, Anon., natenate101 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Isn't that what we did with Morata?