How Do You Rate the Chances of a Military Confrontation Between the US and Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Iranian Monitor, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Do you really believe that I have not read what "globalsecurity" has to say?

If you had read what they were saying before, and how they change their own story, some of which remains unedited in the "general sections", you will see they don't have a clue. I have followed what these people been saying for a long time. I have Cordesman's book from 1992 about the Iranian mlitary, and know that along with Pipes and that crowd, they have been proven wrong repeatedly. When it comes to Iran, they haven't been able to get one thing right before.

In 1992, Cordesman was sure that Iran would not be able to fly any of its US made planes anymore. As late as only a few years ago, he was not taking any reports regarding indigineous developments seriously. Until recently, even after Iran showed it could fly these planes, he stuck to his positions by modifying them slightly and saying those planes could fly at best limited number of sorties. He was proven WRONG on all these areas.

2. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't seem to have looked at the numbers.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They can provide a general idea of what they have in mind and have done so. Of course, they are not going to give out their operational secrets, but since they have been the most "hawkish" on Iran not "compromising too much", to build public support for their position, they have had to talk a bit about how they calculate things.

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link? (No propaganda, a credible link.)

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have seen their numbers too. I also have noticed them changing (upward) their numbers and projections. Those numbers look better today than they did before. But they still contain the same inherent flaws in analysis and the same faulty premises.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I can probably spend a lot of time, do a lot of google searches, and come up with English sources that contain some outlines of what they have said.

However, the best sources for what they have said were in Persian. The keyhan newspaper was the popular media for their positions, while a more specialized journal that reflected the views of the revolutionary guards was actually shut down by the judiciary for compromising national security.

In reality, Keyhan was told to tone down its rhetoric, and that journal was closed, in part because these folks were severly criticizing the Iran-EU negotiations (which were indireclty endorsed by Khamenie despite trying to keep his distance), their criticisms (although couched in terms of criticizing Iran's negotiating team) were criticizing indirectly Khamenie as well. Through what they were saying and writing, you could get an outline of what they have in mind on many different issues, including the one we are discussing here.

I will see what I can find through the magic of google!

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy you have yet to ever make a point that you could back up yet on this board.

1 v 1, Militarily speaking, Iran would not last 1 week against the full Military Might of the US. No nukes needed either. This is a fact. The US Military is the best trained, best equipped fighting force ever. Not to mention that every member of the Armed Forces of America are there by CHOICE. Conscripted forces are not as effective as those who choose to be soilders.

The US industrial ability allows us to go from an unprepared unready military to the worlds best in less then a year, go see WWII to understand what I am saying here. Since that time, we have had a Cold War with the Soviets, where not only did we have to maintain numbers, but quality of Equipment. We have fought in Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War I and II. And various other little conflicts. Korea was a stalemate, after the Chinese interfered and even then we had them in retreat when a cease fire came into effect. Vietnam was a friggin joke. The Military fought with one hand tied behind their backs. They were handcuffed by policy and politics. A mistake that is in some ways coming back to happen again in Iraq. We easily won in Desert Storm. And we easily won in this current action in Iraq. Occupation and active war are not to be confused as being the same.

I see the comments about the airframes, well guess what, most of the airframes Iran has are either outdated US tech, or stolen outdated US tech with some decent Soviet Era tech included. The Mig-29 is a nice fighter to be sure, but is no match for what we can put in the air now. The F-15E owns the sky and it isn't even the best plane we have anymore. If pressed we can put the F-22 into the action, or we can speed development on the JSF. Either plane by itself is worth more then a squadron of anything Iran could put in the air.

You spoke of solid fuel rockets, yeah we had those in the 50's. What we have now has no counter. In the unlikely event of war with Iran, air defenses and aircraft as well as command and control units would be hit with 100's of Cruise missiles as well as follow up bombings from everything from F/A-18's to B-52's to stealth F-117's and B-2's and B-1b's.

I am not even going into what SF troops would be doing. The thing is, we have not only trained our people on how to do these missions, but they have been doing these missions in combat as well. They know what to do, how to do it, what works and where to improve what we have.

Maybe when you go back to Iran, ha like you ever will, you can join the military and actually learn something about what it is like to prepare for war. Give you a hint. The WWI tactics employed in your war with Iraq will not work any better for Iran then it did for them. Also, human waves will not be as effective either, with the current munitions and close air support provided by Apaches and A-10's, those people would never get within range of US foot soilders. Of course human waves against Bradleys and M1A1's and M1A2's would get pretty gory quick.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    As I am doing my google search, I came across this "propaganda" interview that nonetheless is borne out of the kind of more serious analysis from the revolutionary guards.
    The article below, on the other hand, before the election of Ahmadinejad, discusses the rise of the revolutoinary guards in Iranian politics and gives a sense about their hawkish stance on these issues.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=5&article_id=15993

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a lot to be agreed with in what you said. . . but (and there is always a but)

Forces defending their home against outside agressors are always more effective that normal recruits, especially when those soldiers who are invading have no real knowledge of the urban or rural landscape.

When you say 1v1, are you saying "If the U.S. wasn't involved in Iraq, Afghanistan, and everywhere else, they could do this"?

Because if we were to invade Iran, sure we could knock out their air defences, air force, and most of their conventional army (although the human price would be CONSIDERABLY higher than either war in Iraq combined). What then? We just leave? Or is this conversation merely academic.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The conversation itself is really academic. The US is not in a position to goto war with Iran right now. How could the current admin justify it while we are embroiled in Iraq and still fighting in Afghanistan? My point is that should the US and Iran goto war, the US has the capability to overwhelm Iran's military in short order. Would we even need to try to occupy Iran in order to acheive a military victory? I don't think so. I think we could take the ports, take key points of control and use suppresive firepower to force a surrender by Iran. We could cause far more injury and loss of life in Iran then could be returned on us by them.

I really wonder though, if a war did occur, if the US would be more likely to encourage some sort of revolution and make the war into a civil war then a US v Iran war.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That is the problem. You are playing this make belief scenario, without context, to prove a point that no one can dispute. Of course, the US is infinitely more powerful than Iran militarily, economically, technologically, etc.

I am talking about how a war would unfold in the context of things as they are, not in a fictionalized environment.

Ultimately, what I want is to see the US stop acting like a bully towards Iran, and see if it cannot get more trying a different route altogether? Of course, I would have really preferred that a bit earlier, before Iran's recent election, but even now if the US does this wisely (without looking like it is caving in to make the hardliners in Iran become more obstinate) I think it can work out a good deal for both sides.

Basically, the US has to coordinate it with the EU so that it appears like the EU is caving in, not the US, with the deal to be negotiated one that is fair to the legitimate concerns of all sides.

12. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You guys are so clueless...Ahmadinjeahd would have no problems admitting he was one of the captors, if it was true. Indeed, even if as president he would not want to highlight it, he would have milked it politically when he was a candidate and before then when he was an aspiring politician trying to build his bona fides as a hardliner.

The photo analysis shows it wasn't him in that picture. But the "swift boat" tactics gave the issue enough public attention that if you ask an average "Joe" in America the question next year, he will say: "That damn I-rainian president was one of the terrorist captors who hold our hostages..."

BTW, where are the folks who were 100% "sure" the photo was him? Idiots.

14. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you can never be too sure. I mean. If we still need to question someone over terrorist from 1979, that must mean. Iran and U. S. A. hasn't done justice in a fair shake. Anyway before you get comms. cut off by events. Go here and vent frustration. This is not a bad time waster.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Apart from some Chinese aircraft which I don't know much about, Iran's airforce relies principally on the following aircraft for various air superiority, interceptor, fighter/bomber, and ground support roles:

Mig29s
    [​IMG]

F-14s
    [​IMG]

F-4s
    [​IMG]

Su-25s
    [​IMG]

16. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    This point seems lost on those that somehow see Iran holding their own aginst the US if the US decided to pull out all the stops.

It really doesn't matter what planes are in the Iranian Air Force. US pilots have large amounts of combat flying experience flying against the same planes Iran would use in any conflict, not to mention that the United States has vastly superior electronic warfare technology.

The best that a nation such as Iran can hope for would be to get the US bogged down in a protracted occupation (see "Vietnam" and, unfortunately, it seems, "Iraq") where they can use guerilla tactics and hope to simply inflict enough casualties for the US to pull out.

This is all pretty much moot as I would think that North Korea, who actually has a nuclear weapon, is ahead of Iran on the "hit list".

As far as Iran taking down Israel in 3 days, that is the wackiest idea I have ever heard of. As you stated, they have some of the best pilots in the world, up to date technology (Thanks, Uncle Sam!), and probably the willingness to use nuclear weapons in a dire situation

17. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran is buying J-10 from China:

[​IMG]

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Kami, Thanks for the pic of the J-10.

If you think that anyone expects or believes that Iran would win a war against the US, if the latter is committed to "pull out all the stops", then you missed the whole arguments so far. That is a given, but irreleveant because the US has to pursue its policies within a given political, international, and economic context.

In that context, the longer it takes for the US to establish air superiority and air supremacy, the more time Iran has to exploit its comparative advantages. To use them to defeat US ground forces in Iraq, to destroy US bases and assets in the region, to sink US naval warships, to keep closed the Strait of Hormuz. To those ends, Iran will use its large missile force, its ground forces, its artillery, its rockets, and its own special forces.

It is one thing for the president of the US to tell them American people we are going to attack "X" country, implicitly making them think that the costs will be no more than at worse a couple of thousand casualties and a few hundred billion dollars. It is another thing to tell them lets start a war with a country, even though it will: cost us potentially tens of thousands of casaulties, destroy our economy and the world economy, and although it would leave the region in flames. I don't think even average "Joe" is that stupid to go for that invitation, when nobody is threatening America. Except for these con men who have taken over the reigns of power and influence here.

Let Iran worry about Israel and its "best pilots". Don't worry yourself with such things. Indeed, since Israel is already so powerful, lets just make sure they don't have the US fighting their wars. Lets stop having Israel manipulate US foreign policy. Before you start throwing labels and nonsense, why is AIPAC even lobbying the US with regard to Iran on behalf of Israel? Why is Israel setting the tone of how the "world" should respond to Iran? Why is a group the US calls a terrorists organization for good reason, the MKO, is being adopted now by the Israelis? And why is that every fantastic lie they print in their organs and media, suddenly being repeated and making its way into the mainstream media here?

Israel versus Iran will not be a fair fight. But if Israel was ever stupid enough to wage it unless it had made sure Iran was first strapped to the chair, let them try it. We will then see if it takes more take more than 3 days to bring the Israelis to their knees?

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    No doubt many thanks are in order, but Israel also has developed a great deal of military technology (some of which the USA uses) and is one of the world's largest military suppliers (even after the USA vetos various Israeli deals).

20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Soon. I hope.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I was going to say how cute you are when you're angry but I remembered this post:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5397647&postcount=2

22. lastwarrior - redded

Jul 2, 2005
    Originally Posted by Iranian Monitor

Let Iran worry about Israel and its "best pilots". Don't worry yourself with such things. Indeed, since Israel is already so powerful, lets just make sure they don't have the US fighting their wars. Lets stop having Israel manipulate US foreign policy. Before you start throwing labels and nonsense, why is AIPAC even lobbying the US with regard to Iran on behalf of Israel? Why is Israel setting the tone of how the "world" should respond to Iran? Why is a group the US calls a terrorists organization for good reason, the MKO, is being adopted now by the Israelis? And why is that every fantastic lie they print in their organs and media, suddenly being repeated and making its way into the mainstream media here?

just like iran is using iraqis or other mid-east suicide bomber to fight for iran. ;)
    iraqi should really say thanks to iranians since you guys really helping those iraqi insuregents by either sending them your iranians bomb bomb man or provide the funding to those beheading organization.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    One thing Ben doesn't like to mention is that all of Israel's defense industry products include American licensed components and parts, Therefore, besides strategic considerations, the sale of Israeli equipment to China with sensitive US licensed products and products derived from US licensed systems also makes American defense industry kind of upset.

Even the Airbus has US licensed component parts, which is why the Europeans for instance can not sell it to Iran without US permission.

Anyways, here are some of the planes, UAVs, and models showcased in Iran's 2005 Persian Gulf Air Show, formerly known as the Kish Air Show. Iran's products do not come with any US licensing strings attached:)

Although as is cusomary, Iran's airforce and revolutionary guards did not participate in the air show, military industries affiliated with the Ministry of Defense did show some of their work.

Let me start with a few of the UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles), although the most interesting items showcased were a "flying boat", more Iran 140 planes, a new helicopter, and various models of the Shafagh fighter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Here are pics of various "Shafagh" trainer and fighter models shown at the Air Show.

While the prototype of the Shafagh trainer has already been built, these trainers ultimately are part of a larger project, originally known as "Integral", to produce a top of the line 5th generation stealthy fighter known as the M-AFT. Iran plans to have those planes in service by 2010.

Model of Iran's M-ATF Fighter Shown at the Air Show
    [​IMG]

Model of different variety of Shafagh trainers expected to enter service in 2007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The actual prototype of the Shafagh trainer, which is scheduled to undergo test flights later this year (older pic, not from the airshow)
    [​IMG]

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't mention it because it's false.