How do Liverpudlians decide which club to support?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Boundzy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was reading and replying to the “How did you become a Liverpool fan” thread, I started to wonder how most Liverpudlians decide which club to support. Are there any typical socioeconomic, political, or religious differences between Everton and LFC supporters in Liverpool? What would attract a Liverpudlian to one club over the other? Family history? City geography?

I ask the question in all seriousness, and I am looking for honest answers (relatively) free of pejorative content.

2. Loman

Loman New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    CT, USA
    Half my family supports Everton and the other Liverpool, as they grew up on the eastern outskirts of Liverpool

My dad chose to support Liverpool over Everton because the rest of the family supported Everton and he wanted to be different and rebellious.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Little do you people know of the truth.
    All maternity hospitals and all travelling midwives administer a Baby IQ test. This includes reflexes and reactions. The babys who come top, show how smart and quick they are, are wrapped in red blankets. The losers in blue.

That's how Liverpool and Evertonians are found, at birth.

Dats de gods honest sdtruth...!!!! I wouldn't want to mess up Bounzeys poll here.... :)

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Birthright, streetname, postcode.

In that order. ;)

5. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And after he went out of his way to commend the lack of silly posts on this site! ;^)

You mean it's not decided by which side of the Mersey you were born?

6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hey this is Liverpool, can't take a joke then you don't belong and I know he can and does.
    Loman's answer makes as much sense as any other, especially if you combine it with Matt's.
    Our house was divided, My Granddad played for Everton and I went to games with him long after his days with the Goodison crowd were over. But the rest of us at home were for Liverpool.
    Both of these factors have had an effect over the years ("political, or religious differences") Well not so much political but religion played a big part in the pre WWII and close after days.

As for across the Mersey, well that's not Liverpool and I believe they have the same problem choosing.

7. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I knew I should have boned up on geography before posting that.

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Ask me anything about 'Spring City' Oh wait I'm thinking Oregon...!!! :)

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That would be Tranmere Rovers :D

All my family are Reds and so for me it came from my mum and dad and from their parents, etc.

But my Mum has twin brothers and one of the twins got rebellious and to distinguish himself from his brother he became a bluenose. Very common really.

He also went onto become a referee, so you can tell he was always missing a braincell or two. ;)