how do i execute a diving header?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by sudhan, Jan 30, 2003.

1. sudhan

sudhan New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    how do i execute a diving header?

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple. Dive for the ball, and hold your arms up so you land on your forearms when you hit the ground. It's all about timing.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The important parts are 1) the dive (explained above) 2) knowing where you and the goal are on the field and 3) keep looking at the ball all the way. If you close your eyes early, you will miss and look like a fool.

4. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    No, no, no, no, and finally...NO!

Grab a partner. get on your knees. And have him toss the ball to you, a little low and in front of your head, so that you hit the ball falling forward and fall to your chest after you've headed the ball...only be sure to catch yourself with your hands before you smack your chest into the ground.

When the time comes, and you're in a game on not standing on your knees, you'll know what to do.

I recommend practicing this way for everyone, even those who have no intention of ever hitting a diving header.

5. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    You mean torpedo header. Right? :D

6. sudhan

sudhan New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    how to practice diving headers alone in my house?

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    well i dont know about inside the house but if you can find a tree with a long solid branch about 15 ft. high (so as not to be diving into the trunk or roots) and a rope and a ball you can rig up a good little server - i suggest thin rope with even thinner tied at the bottom to secure the ball

8. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Blue daddy is right, but to help you even more, look up a product called the Multi Touch ball, it is made by Fitness Ball USA and they have a website you can order from. The ball is cheap as hell, about $25 and it's perfect for all kinds of personal training.

9. hermsoccergrl

hermsoccergrl New Member

Oct 25, 2002
    VA
    Diving headers are really easy, if you get a good ball. The chances of getting one in a game are pretty slim..

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Remember. You first need to build up your head muscles. Practice with a basketball. When you can do 500 without losing consciousness, try it with a wall. Repeat until you wake up in the hospital with tubes in your body and no memory of your identity.

11. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Better yet is a medicine ball, though they're hard to find nowadays. If you can't track one down, use a bowling ball. Start with a twelve pound "lady's" ball, then work your way up.