How do college soccer scholarships work??

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by gravy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. gravy

gravy New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    england
    I would love to attend an American college with a scholarship, just wonderin if anyone could let me know how they work, which ones are the best how you applyfor them etc......

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most you don't apply for atheletic scholarships. Coaches recruit players to play at their schools and the use fo shcolarships is an inducement to attend their school. Because there is limited amount of scholarships, everything is driven by the coaches.

3. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    There are several publications available to find schools that offer scholarships. If you go to the individual school soccer websites there is usually information on applying and being recruited. Soccer has limited resources for recruiting compared to US football. ODP recognition is probably the best. Show case tournaments are also a great option. Most coaches have online email. Send a few and see what type of response you get.

4. irod

irod New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Pacific Coast
    Assume you are interested in a "soccer scholarship"?

It is rare that a player would get a soccer full scholarship. Usually only partial scholarships are given.

Best bet is to get an academic scholarship AND the the partial soccer scholarship.

Good luck in your search.

IRod

5. gravy

gravy New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    england
    Thanks to all of you that is a great help, and yeah I did mean a soccer scholarship!!

6. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MODERATORS NOTE:

The information that was previously posted here was copyrighted material published in the College Soccer Recruiting Guidebook FOCUS. It may have been useful, but I had to remove it. Regards, SueB

7. gravy

gravy New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    england
    Thanks lots of information there!!