How come no love for Lee Nguyen?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by yabo, Mar 23, 2011.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would be tempted to use him as a supporting striker.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  4. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree. The inferiority of the league hurts him too.... but man that goal from that far, that hard!!! Phew!!!

I wonder how he'd do in a better asian league? J league or K league? He certainly is the 'engine' behind the team he is at now.

5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me that the J League or K League would be somewhat of a natural progression for a player that was as successful in Vietnam.

I think that he doesn't get "the love" around here or from USSF because the perception is that he's not challenging himself. I'd say that the perception is fairly accurate as well.

He needs to move onward and upward.

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    What weaker leagues are you referring to? Norway? Tippeligaen is La Liga compared to the Vietnamese league. Nguyen is not a serious footballer. This guy is more concerned with being a big fish in a small pond.

7. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree. I believe the issue is with getting into the J league. Its actually a HARD league to get into if you arent a foriegner from south america.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Can we change the thread title to "Bradley No Love Lee Long Time," or something like that?

3 people repped this.
  9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Anyone know what his goals/games stats are with his club for this season?

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this thread a joke? He's not going to play for the US again.

I believe the Thiago Motta ruling would allow Lee to play for Vietnam since he only appeared for the US team at the Copa America in similar circumstances.

If he gets a callup from Vietnam, he should take it. I think he'd be happier with them.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Re: Bradley No Love Lee Long Time

Has his shoulder fully recovered?

13. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. He can't be watched much because he plays in Vietnam.
    2. He plays in Vietnam.

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure his mom and dad love him very much.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Funny. So not right.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12tce-THLUE"]YouTube - Full Metal Jacket - Me love you long time[/ame]

16. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His time at PS Eindoven he performed inconsistently. I agree that he could challenge himself more and it seems he is comfortable in Vietnam. He's got talent and does things that few US players are doing.

And shredder don't be a f*cking ass.

Yabo

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Like playing in a no-name league in Asia? Let it gooooo, we've moved past calling up guys like Lee again. We simply have the talent to where we don't need players with his lack of pedigree.

Imapuppy

18. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee Ngyuen flowchart:

1. Lee Ngyuen plays in Vietnam. This is a notch below the S-League, which is akin to playing in the USL last year. We didn't break down the doors of USL teams looking for national teamers. Continue flowchart.

2. If Lee's team does well in the Asian Champions League, it's possible he can get bought by a bigger team in Australia, Japan, or Korea. Nevertheless, playing well on a "Bigger" Asian team is no guarantee of getting a US callup (See: Hirofumi Moriyasu). Continue flowchart, but check item 4.

3. If we lose him to Vietnam, it's not a big deal. He'd probably be happy there. (See: Arturo Alvarez) End the flowchart.

4. If Lee gets so good he starts in Europe, or he dominates an Asian league (J-League, K-League), and if he hasn't already been capped for Vietnam, the USA will come calling. End the flowchart.

5. If no conditions have been changed, go back to 1 until he retires.

19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I think he tried to get Vietnamese citizenship but it has hit a snag. I posted an article about it in one of his threads over in YA. Apparently Lyle Yorks and some lawyers are trying to work it out so he can get citizenship.

If he can become eligible for Vietnam and they want him then he should play for them. I can't see him being called up to the USA team.

I don't think he wants to leave Vietnam either. He is a major superstar over there. IMHO if he wanted to leave he would have left already, he's enjoying the fame/attention so he's staying.

And if anyone cares my post from the YA thread

He's obviously been playing in the 2nd phase but I think one his teammates a Brazilian named Leandro is suspended so maybe that frees up an international spot.

21. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainly because he's not good enough.

22. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    The same reason that Leo Krupnik and Brian Ackley don't get any love.

23. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres such a fascination with people in far away places and far away leagues, I'm guessing if Nguyen was in MLS and a 'known quantity' this thread would never exist.

24. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    • out of sight out of mind
    • style of play i think means like several he struggle under Bob's more defensive system. Especially considering we rarely play with a person right underneath the strikers.
    • percieved lack of quality in that league.
    • how prolific is his scoring really?

early on i had high hopes. i was disappointed the last time i saw him for the U.S. That said i think there are several players like him, Adu, Torres, even Fielhaber that i think struggle under bob cause they want to play a bit of Tiki Taka, want to play to feet, want to play 1 touch possession football and the U.S. doesn't do that especially against the best teams. And it's hard to play 1 touch if the guy you pass it to isn't trying to do it too. I question some of their talent but i also know certain guys fit better in certain systems. Like Walcott is better under Wenger where they pass and move and he can play that continental passing style then playing as a 4-4-2 winger where they want him to try to cross balls to a heskey. I think there's an question of talent and just issues of style.

25. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be the lack of overall talent, but GalacticoX4's post hits closer to home. If the team as a whole isn't making the types of runs that allow players like Lee, Benny, etc.. to play their game, they won't look as good or fit the system. What type of player does Bradley's system favor - the grinder with a bit of flare. Is it really the only way that US teams can win? Or is that just old school myth?