How can we get the Quakes a real yell leader?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mjlee22, Nov 15, 2004.

1. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have to remember that because we are Americans we will never celebrate the sport the same way as the rest of the world. People choose to celebrate the sport in different ways. If you want to be loud, then be loud. Don't let anyone else stop you. If you want to be with loud fans go to the Casbah. If you want to be with soccer moms, stay where you're at. But, as far as I can see, people are going to choose to support the team in different ways.

We as fans have to respect that and allow them that priviledge. As long as they come to the games, let them show support however they like. When I went to Europe years ago, the women were all shocked I was a soccer fan. "I've been to the games. The men are so filthy. Why do you want to go to those games? Blah, blah, blah." I don't want to drive people away from the sport. Let them support the team how they want. If you want to be loud, go to where the loud is or bring it yourself.

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Good thing your in Portland, then.

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's you're.

And what is that pertaining to?

4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great idea! We could ask the Quakes office to earmark small areas like that for season ticket holders. How about if we call them Casbah Clone sections?

E.g., 112 on the west side about 10 rows up behind the player "dugout". Q likes to stand on top of the dugout and wave the Quakes flag, so Casbah Clones could root him on. What's a good section on the East side where it's easy for someone to yell lead or beat a drum?

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    I'm a bit tired of the wave that works its way around the stadium. I have always wanted someone to try and start a wave that goes from the front row to the back.

This would be especially good for Earthquake's games. More like seismic waves eminating from the epicenter of the field.

I just can't figure out how to get a whole stadium full of people to do this.

6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Brilliant! We definitely need plants all around the stadium to get this one going, but I really like the fact that you see the wave coming toward you and don't have to keep turning around (away from the game) to see if it's your turn.

7. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    I've always liked the flag idea. It adds a lot of visual atmosphere, especically when waved on a pole. I'm sure many have seen how the Japanese, for example, use them (and I say Japanese, since flags are also banned in many EU stadia, and in some Japanese stadiums, they have it down to a choreagraphed art) , it looks simply amazing and somehow, I think it helps convey a more festival atmoshphere, which in turn, becomes infectious and more people become involved. Streamers are a good start though. Didn't that and the EQ flag take atleast 6 years or so?
    Maybe it's time to invent a Nerf flagpole.
    -canned Casbah, didn't they try that? not good.

8. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    crazy george is in san jose!?!?? he used to be at wichita wings games all the time back in the 80's!! i haven't heard anything on him since until now. he is great for crowd participation! he is also very VERY good in bed!

9. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got his start with the NASL Earthquakes, then graduated to other sports and cities. We had a 30th Anniversary game this year where all the players wore red "throwback" jerseys, and Krazy George made a special guest appearance.
    Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay........

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he actually lives in New York. I know someone here can say for sure though.

He's travelled around for games quite a bit.

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say that if you want a west or east side cheerleader, who is somewhat in the Krazy George mold, Kate, the cheerleader from Cal Berkeley, is the best bet. She was in the Blue Crew, but is a hell of a lot better as far as yell-leading, than any of the other members of that group. She was not there as much during 2004 as she was in 2003, I don't know why that was the case. The girl has a lot of pizzazz and is very good at getting people to yell, a necessary asset when you're dealing with a Quakes audience, many of whom come from the "I'm-too-cool-to-do-that" school of fan support.

12. MLSFAN04

MLSFAN04 New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Everywhere
    Plants (or Casbah Colonies) all around the stadium would be great, but how can we get these people without taking people out of the Casbah Section. We can't just place newbies in those sections because they have to be able to lead.

13. MLSFAN04

MLSFAN04 New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Everywhere
    But with the help of some fans, the FO made the streamers and the EQ flags happen. If we talk to FO people like Auggie sooner, rather than later, maybe we can come up with a solution. Flagpoles is a big issue, but maybe we can compromise.

14. MLSFAN04

MLSFAN04 New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Everywhere
    I went to the CAL/Arizona State game a few weeks ago. Guess who I saw? Kate from the Blue Crew. According to some of the students, she is the head yell leader at CAL. That would be a big reason why she wasn't around for much of the 2004 season. I agree, Kate has a lot of pizzazz, too bad she is graduating in May. If the FO finds out that Kate that is still in the area, I think they should bring her back.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap.

Why was my post deleted? It wasn't that offensive, unless you take umbrage at being compared to Aggies.

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I've seen this before...at a Stanford/USC football game the USC crowd in one corner of the stadium wanted to screw up the Stanford wave...so they did a "bottom-to-top" wave when the standard wave arrived in the visitors' corner.

17. fuzzyBunny

fuzzyBunny Member

Aug 24, 1999
    Palo Alto CA

I think there are a few people out there who would join up with the Casbah but prefer to sit on the east or west sides. If these this types could organize and sit together, it might work. As long as they're loud.

The other point to make is that with the colonies, those around the Casbah Colonist might be more inclined to chear because they would not stand out as much. This would have a multipling effect.

18. fuzzyBunny

fuzzyBunny Member

Aug 24, 1999
    Palo Alto CA

I would like to see a wave start one way, and then start another in the opposite direction.

What would happen when they meet at the other side of the stadium. Would they cancel each other out? Would they pass right through each other? Or would we see a massive, rouge wave effect where nachos, scarves and body parts fly into the air?

19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no idea.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea.

Was it because it was right underneath Segroves' contribution to the thread?

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I saw your name listed as the last contributor, but there was no post there. I thought you had done something really bad--like telling Goodsport that rebuilding Spartan Stadium wasn't such a bad idea. ;)

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This figures. Not just the reason for her absence, but also for the fact that she is that good at getting people to cheer.

23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People would be driven away from attending games because fans cheer too much? That's antithetical to sports events.

THe most fun and raucous game this year was when the Quakes were down 0-2 and tied it up in the last 10 minutes or so. The crowd was already hot after the ref, and then Troy Dayak got red-carded and lead the crowd in cheers as he exited (he was subsequently fined for that). We were going crazy in the stands, and that included 2 people I brought along for their first Quakes game this season. Afterwards, they decided to go to more games. Loud and crazy like George is good for business. And I understand it helps rev up the players too.

Hey, maybe we should have Troy lead the cheers...

24. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? He's a rather popular fellow with the fans and his teammates...

If he was Milton Bradley, he'd be villified, but Troy gets cred points for rallying the troops and the fans.

If he rides the pine next year, presuming he's with the team he may have to do a lot more cheering.

25. bcguy4quakes

bcguy4quakes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 27, 2000
    Santa Cruz, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was even more miraculous than that, they tied it by scoring both goals in injury time!