How bad off is Convey?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by deejay, Nov 25, 2004.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Convey's obviously not playing as well as he or Reading had thought - Only 2nd hand looks as a sub or with the Reserves - Rather than discuss how bad he shoots, I'd like to go into:

How to get things right? - Convey needs to train with the team in the off-season from scratch - One thing that hurts Americans (except Forwards or Goal Keepers) is coming onto European clubs either at the start or in the middle of their seasons - They miss all the bonding and team identity stuff that goes on during training - And they miss the interaction with coaching staff and their team philosophy and type of game they want different players and positions to play - This especially hurst midfielders and defenders from ANYWHERE regardless of talent - (Its taken ManU defenders Heinze, Ferdinand, etc all long time to develop and smooth cohesive defense this season) - And so with Convey -

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    People talk about that youth tournament...

What I want to know is what other top youth were there?

Martin Fisher named:
    Andreas Iniesta, Spain and Barcelona
    Javier Marschiano, Argentina and River Plate
    Iain Hume, Canada and Trammere Rovers
    Stephen Elliot, Ireland and Sunderland
    A. Kone, Ivory Coast and Roda
    Edgar Barretto, Paraguay and NECs​

What about players like Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney of Manchester United who are 85s?
    What about Tevez from Boca Juniors? who is 20 right now?
    Heck Arjen Robben is even an 84 and playing for Chelsea.
    What about Reyes from Aresenal - or as an 83 was he too old?

[Edited to add... Convey is an 83 - 6 months older than Reyes]

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    While there is some truth there, Convey's been there for 5 months now. He was there for the last month of preseason.

Not sure I agree Heinze is a good example. He was pretty much one of the best players for ManU in his first few games... and is a big part of why their season turned around.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He might have to relearn his game. Forget everything he's been taught in MLS and take lessons from Stevie Coppell, who at one time was one dynamite winger. (and not a big guy either)

5. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really know what the issue is here.

Ronaldo -- Portugal didn't qualify.
    Rooney -- He had more pressing work in Decmeber of 2003
    Tevez -- he was part of the roster but I believe he didn't go because of a conflict with the Copa Libratadores final.
    Robben -- Holland didn't qualify.
    Reyes -- if he was an 83, he was eligible. I assume he was needed elsewhere [remember the tournament was delayed from the summer to the winter due to the Iraq war].

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    The issue might be that Bobby looked more outstanding than he really was since many of the better youth players were not at that tournament for one reason or another.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

I guess the thing that struck me was the number of VERY good players (I'm just listing ones off the top of my head) of Bobby's age or younger that didn't even take part in the tournament.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Might be. But isn't. I was there, and Convey was absolutely awesome.

http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2003/2003_world_youth.php

[​IMG]

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I agree that Convey had a very good tournament. However, I think it is perfectly legitimate to wonder whether he would look as good (relative to other players) had more of the better youth players be present at that tournament. Naturally, it was no fault of Convey that the other better players were not there.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the effect on these guys?

Andreas Iniesta, Spain and Barcelona [don't need stats]
    Javier Marschiano, Argentina and River Plate [don't need stats]
    Iain Hume, Canada and Trammere Rovers, 18 games, 6 goals
    Stephen Elliot, Ireland and Sunderland, 19 games, 8 goals
    A. Kone, Ivory Coast and Roda, 13 games, 5 goals
    Edgar Barretto, Paraguay and NEC, 7 games, 3 goals

11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    This is why youth tournaments are largely - but not completely - irrelevant in the bigger picture of things. There are many reasons why some of the best young players don't participate. Firstly, the 'balanced' qualification means that many top countries don't qualify (Portugal, for example). Secondly, many countries have a policy of not playing a player in a age-limited team if they have already progressed to a more senior or the senior team. And finally, many of the best players have club commitments that preclude their participation.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's all lovely, but I think the point is, there were lots and lots of "not Tevez but still pretty good" players there. Nobody ever said Convey = Tevez or C. Ronaldo.

I think it's fair, in that context, to call bobby a legit disappointment. He did flatter to deceive. To me at DCU he was the player that always looked like he was about to do something special. . . and then almost never did.

He may never click, I must admit. Then again, he might.

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    The effect might be that they looked more outstanding than they really were since many of the better youth players were not at that tournament for one reason or another.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???? Because Tevez wasn't at that tournament, scoring 5 in 13 for Roda is less impressive???

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Cavenaghi was there for the Argies and he recently went to Spartak Moscow for about $12M and he wasn't any better than Bobbino at the tournament.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irrelevant. My point was not that Convey was great or something, but that guys who he performed equally or better than at the WYC are now seriously outperforming him at the club level. M and superdave caught the drift which was what is it about Convey that has caused him to fall below the standard he set at the WYC?

As for missing players, if that interests people, feel free to talk about it. Generally, most countries send their best players but in this case since the tournament was moved from the summer to the middle of the Euro club (and the Libratadores final), players were not released who otherwise would have been. England is the only country that I am aware of that does not send their best players if there is no club conflict.

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Though I think the Argies have overrated him for a long time (a la Palermo), Cavenaghi does have a long pedigree with a traditional S.A. powerhouse. Convey simply doesn't have the same pedigree or record of pro success.

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In particular in the US v Argentina game, Cavenaghi looked very ordinary other than an ability to hit lasers from distance.

But of course that was only one game.

Always thought he was a bit overrated as he benefited from superb service when he was with River.

19. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    How bad off is Convey?

1) He's getting a much bigger pay packet with Reading than with DC United.
    2) He must regularly earn an opportunity to be on the pitch for his team.

I'd say that for a developing player in his early 20's, he's not bad off at all.

20. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    :shrugs:

For a player who has shown a problem developing even when he was getting playing time, I find it hard to believe sitting on the bench is exponentiating this development.

I think the comparison to the other standouts at the youth tourney has absolutley nothing to do with Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez. Rather the argument is that these guys, who looked to be similarly talented/developed have all made significant jumps in their games. While Convey (as has been argued ad nauseum) still looks largely the same player he was two years ago. Hence why they are playing at their respective levels while Convey is gathering splinters @ Reading.

The Convey problem is troubling because he once looked like an incredibly promising player who could fight for a spot in midfield but now is on the fringes of the Nats picture.

Its not the end of the world, not every promising youth player pans out, I just think that many Yanks fans were hoping the move to Reading would get something to click and he would finally continue his development again. Maybe it will happen in time, but his early start with Reading has been far from promising.

21. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I think many DCU fans will agree that Convey's best moments at the club were immediately after Ray Hudson called him out and sat him on the bench for a while in the summer of 2002.

Convey has probably played more soccer games per year than almost any other American player his age over the last several years. I think a few months riding the pine is not a big issue if he uses it as a motivational tool like he did when Hudson sat him.

In regards to why Convey looked so good in the youth tournament but not in MLS, I think there's a group of reasons. Part of it has to do with the different role he had positionally in both places. Part of it has to do with the fact that his international and youth schedule caused him to miss so much time with DCU that he never really got comfortable with the other players either on the field or off. Part of it has to do with a mental block that he seemed to develop in MLS where he was conscious of his own finishing problems -- which only exacerbated them.

I think Convey still has potential to be a great player, but only time will tell. The thing about Convey is that he has certain elements to his game that are rare and can't be taught (I'm thinking in terms of making runs, thinking ahead when passing, etc.), thus making his upside veryhigh.

On the other hand, he has some elements to his game that are pretty bad -- especially finishing.

A guy like Ben Olsen is someone who is pretty good at every element of the game, but not great at any. As a result, he's a very good MLS player, but he has no potential to be an international star. Convey on the other hand is not good at every element of the game, which is why he wasn't as good an MLS player. On the other hand, he has potential upside that Olsen can never have, which is why US Soccer continues to invest so much in him.

22. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Looking on the bright side of things I saw a thingy the other day, I think it was a local paper in England or a reading fan website but it named him man of the match against plymouth a few weeks ago. It said he was one of the best players out there after he got subbed in.

23. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Then it wasn't Plymouth...

The last time Reading played Plymouth... Convey started and was subbed OUT in the 63rd minute with Plymouth leading 2-1.

It could have possibly been the Coventry game, which was teh week before the Plymouth match. Against Coventrye he subbed on in the 57th minute. Those are the only 2 league matches he's had substantial minutes since playing Millwall back in August.

24. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    OK, well I thought it was plymouth. I'm not a reading fan I just check the stuff for him but i know the score was 3-2, so whatever game that was he played well in.

25. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Yep that would be the Coventry match where Reading lost 3-2.