How are people doing with their plans?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by shaunsindelman, Jul 14, 2009.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah. There are five internal budget flight operators as far as I can tell, and their prices, after tax, seem to be roughly in the range I quoted (I checked a month or two before the world cup) varying depending on the time and route.

It wasn't a comprehensive check, but enough to see that normally prices are good, and there are plenty of flights, although all will show "no availability" if you check for June 2010 at the moment.

2. yessam1277

yessam1277 Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Haiti
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    Match tickets, Flight to South Africa, :D
    accomodations to go

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm putting together a catch all reference thread for this forum for all our travel, ticket, accomodation needs.

Can people PM me, or put in the existing catch all thread any information or links they think would be useful for visitors to this forum?

Cheers

4. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have been constantly looking for SAA prices for Jo'Berg to Cape Town. Normally they have 21 flights a day yet 11 months in advance and for the whole World Cup they state no flights available. AS BA have hiked their prices up I decided to ring up SAA and they said all flights are sold. I did suggest that 600+ flights all sold out 11 months in advance was unlikely and she just giggled. In reality I am sure they will release them later in the year, but a crap way to treat customers.
    I do not think I am alone in feeling that two many companies are holding too many hoops for people to jump through. I would rather it was greed than incompetance but I think for a lot of fans it is all leaving a fairly bad taste in the mouth.
    It has been suggested her and in SA that there is so much aggro finding accommodation and flights etc. that in the end less will be going and the will actually have excess capacity. As travelling throughout the country is not a very inviting prospect they could at least make things easier for people. I do hope Brazil is better. Some hope!

5. johnsunkim

johnsunkim New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't agree that "travelling around the country is not a very inviting prospect." Have you been to South Africa? I've spent about a year there (I know - not tons of time - but some time eh?) and believe it's a beautiful country, particularly outside of the major cities. And part of the experience of going to the games is going to the country too.

I understand if time is of the essence in terms of getting to the matches, and therefore would be totally pissed about the SAA flights (I agree that all of this is being handled poorly). But if you have time, I would recommend travelling by car or bus around the country and not worrying too much about flights. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,
    John

6. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    John that is all very well but when you read endless books and websites that say do not use public transport unless there are 20 of you, the driving is appalling with regular daily fatalities, do not go out at night I do not care how beautiful the country is it is still a daunting thought. Yes we will be getting a car for the Garden Route from Port Elizabeth but even that I am in trepidation about.

Of course it is beautiful but I am more concerned with the safety aspects.

7. johnsunkim

johnsunkim New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fair enough. And I imagine, just like in any country hosting the tournament, the roads will be even more dangerous with drunk drivers.

On second thought - flights are not a bad idea. Good luck.

8. johnsunkim

johnsunkim New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As for travelling on public transport - I wouldn't worry too much; just as you would travel to any country if you take precautions (i.e. don't worry a fancy watch, don't have your wallet in your back pocket, etc.) and use common sense, you should be fine. And yes, during this tournament, I'm sure there will be more opportunitistic criminals, but wouldn't that be the case during any tournament in any country?

9. yessam1277

yessam1277 Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Haiti
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I might be one of the few who thinks otherwise...I am sure they'll have more police, undercovers on the streets up to 20 times a regular day. It cannot happen anywhere of course, but the major cities and entertainment areas, I wouldn't be to concern.

I am not saying this is germany, but back in 2006 I was in dortmund to watch a second round game between Ghana and brazil, anyways as we are standing on the streets, I see this guy get a head run start, grabs a guy's cell phone and run like forrest gump have never run before...5 minutes later while we walking we saw all kinds of cops, undercover cops, standing over the guys head. They were coming out from vans, from horses, guys fixing electricity...I swear it was more exaggerated than what we see on tv.

I might be wrong, but this one aspect I am not too worried about. Just stay where the activities are, and we should be fine.

10. lpporto

lpporto Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Flying Rates Rio-Jo'burg until May 2010 - USD 1063
    Flying Rates Rio-Jo'burg from June 2010 - USD 2400

Damn it!

11. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A good example of being ripped off but still not better than BAs returns from Joburg to CT at the beginning of July which are £750 each!!!! OR $1200 if you prefer. Cheaper to get a cab.

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I just got back from South Africa and there are many cheap, low budget airlines that make flying around very affordable.. don't know if they show up on expedia or travelocity.. try:

http://www.kulula.com/
    http://www.flymango.co.za/
    http://www.interlinkairlines.co.za/

.. or just wikipedia an airport in SA and see the various airlines that fly domestically.

Do be careful if u happen to go swimming around Cape Town however, took this with my own camera... ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDfJMLLI0FE"]YouTube - Great White Shark Diving[/ame]

13. Aly02

Aly02 New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just this week I booked my flights to/from South Africa on Delta. Detroit > Atlanta > JNB/JBB > Atlanta > Detroit for $1,700.

I’m just glad to have the airfare secured at a significantly lower rate than what was quoted by the first travel agent I was considering booking through ($3,000).

I’ve decided to use a travel agent for accommodations and transportation to/from the airport and the seven matches.

Received a quote from a travel agent today for a boutique hotel “In an upper class neighborhood on the outskirts of Pretoria, centrally located between the games in Johannesburg and Rustenburg/Royal Bafokeng.”

1. Any idea as to what location they’re alluding to?
    2. Thoughts on staying in that area?

We had always planned on staying in or around Johannesburg and this is obviously a bit further out. The price is so much more reasonable in comparison with other quotes I have received, so I would definitely consider this if it is a good area with things to do. I don’t want to be trapped in the hotel.

14. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would contact Alana Dilley <alana@worldonline.co.za>. She works for SA-Venues and was very helpful with another member of this forum's lodging plans. Plus I know the place they suggested for him (Hyde Park Villas) will be providing transfers to and from the stadium in Jo'burg.

15. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    A bus from Johannesburg to Cape Town seems to cost about $50-100, is there some downside to this from a safety perspective? I don't mind sleeping overnight in a bus so long as nobody mugs me in the process.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good thing... if they were to try that in South Africa next summer... with their HIV rate... it could have disasterous consequences...

17. dailyupload

dailyupload New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is perfectly safe ... I would recommend using http://www.greyhound.co.za/ which is a good quality service. I have a teenage sister and sister in-law who use the bus between Durban and Johannesburg with no problems ... even my 3 yr old daugther and her grandmother have taken the bus between JHB & DBN.

And what exactly is the HIV rate???

18. yoyoyo2k8

yoyoyo2k8 Member

May 4, 2009
    Hi I rang the head office in London, enquiring for flights in June 2010 via egypt to Jo'Burg and the guy on the line said that tickets were not available yet and I should ring back in December lol!

19. shaunsindelman

Apr 23, 2009
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why don't you just go online and enquire?

20. yoyoyo2k8

yoyoyo2k8 Member

May 4, 2009
    because in a previous post, he said that he got those flights by booking over the phone!

21. johnsunkim

johnsunkim New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep - sorry that it didn't work out for you! I think I had a particularly helpful ticket agent - which was a miracle. I would recommend giving it another try at some point and I actually rang the sales office number NOT the ticket number - since no one even picked up the ticket number. So maybe that will help.

As for the website - who knows -things might be working now - but I'm not sure.

Good luck!

22. yoyoyo2k8

yoyoyo2k8 Member

May 4, 2009
    £547.80 GBP on the website for a flight just to Cairo, Egypt! danger

23. johnsunkim

johnsunkim New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When I talked to the agent - I had to be flexible with my dates in order to find good rates. Rates changed from day to day by hundreds of GBP. So if you're flexible with your dates I'd try calling the office again and asking them to find the best rates. Good luck!

24. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Irrelevant!
    The costs for flights to X via Y are totally unrelated to the cost for flights to Y.
    Either could be more expensive than the other. Really.

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's true. I've been on several long haul flights in the past few years that have involved stopping at that airline's hub airport for two or three hours, and without exception (I know because I check out of curiosity) the total cost of the flight I booked was considerably cheaper than trying to book a return flght to/from that very same hub on exactly the same flights.