How are people doing with their plans?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by shaunsindelman, Jul 14, 2009.

1. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    and
    Its impossible to explain all possible scenarios...so the travellers needs to look at themselves, and what they can do regarding safety, instead of maybe looking at the problems in ittself.

The only real difference is that as locals, we have a good idea of our surroundings...so its easier for us to feel safe knowing that we are supposed to be, where we are supposed to be. Thats the only real complication for me...explaining to foreigners the complexity of the many faccets of locations in SA regarding safety. The best i can do is to is to do something like this:

1) emphasise alertness...
    2) emphasise being neutral in nature
    3) emphasise not making yourself a target with your posessions
    4) emphasise listening to advice from locals who you will be aquanted with, such as hotel owners, friendly waitresses, petrol jockeys etc etc.
    5) emphasise the limiting of being alone at night in quiet locations, especially that of cities
    6) being drunk, will lessen all of the above

2. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are dangerous parts to every city, no matter the country. The bottom line is you've got to use that same intuition you would in your home city. I live in DC, being a white male there are parts of the city I'll walk around in day or night and others I wouldn't step foot in regardless of the time.

My wife was skeptical about spending time in Jo'burg purely based on the stories she's heard. Sure there is crime there and it might be more prevelant than other cities but I don't plan on putting myself or her in a situation to get in trouble.

During the WC there are going to be so many people congregating in the "popular" areas because that's what their travel books, friends and such have told them to go. If you stick around these areas and don't wonder off down some dark alley, you'll be fine.

Remember, power in numbers!

3. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Very true...

also...when for example taking a taxi or train, one would risk less when the train/taxi has some passengers on, than almost none. Numbers doesn't necc mean "numbers of your own nation" or friends, but numbers in general. In some cases, criminals will almost be stoned or thrown with petrol bombs. Some people are fed up getting a bad name because of the criminals falsely representing them...

Befriending a local who sat next to you at the stadium, or talking to a person on a bus, may actually be the one who will protect you against a small time criminal or thief. Especially if that criminal speaks their own language...

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good advice.

Also, unless I made a mistake, it appears that the murder rate in South Africa is lower than Baltimore, MD (albeit not by much). The analysis is somewhat flawed because it compares a city to an entire country, but I think it still tells you that you're not exactly entering a war-zone. :)

5. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Really???

And I'd just about got myself ready!

[​IMG]

6. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have a feeling this won't be your only visit to SA - You'll be back!:rolleyes:

7. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    The media is making it a war zone. Yes we have above average crime, but there are many people here living in a very normal fasion.

People also need to realise that many crimes occur in places where tourists won't necc travel, especially domestically. So statistically that ups the crime levels in SA on paper, even though it is not spread equally all over the country.
    Said with respect: Someone living in a township for example, will not have the same security to their metal shack, thus its far easier breaking in there and thus crime may be more regular there. Even the black people i work with are more scared about their cars than the white people, because in their areas, people would want their cars - To some of them, its not something seen as an everyday item - it stands out much more and thus much more of a target.

8. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One leg of our flight got canceled and we got re-reouted on a LOL bad itinerary. We booked with frequent flyer miles, so we were at the mercy of the airlines to take what we got.

I challenge anyone to find a more laughable connection

Washington DC->Frankfurt
    Frankfurt-> Singapore (WTF?)
    Singapore->Jburg

It might be quicker to sail there

9. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    You can turn this into a highly positive experience!

Singapore airport is a destination in itself.

You will probably sleep very well on the last 2 flights. If not, Singapore (Changi) airport has inexpensive transit hotels where you can book a room for 4 hours or so at a time. There are also very cheap pay to use lounges where a shower visit costs just a few dollars. I once arranged to hang out at the airport on purpose for almost 24 hours, though admittedly I had Krisflyer lounge privileges. Your Star Alliance Gold card will get you into the SATS lounge free of charge.

You will be fed very well on Singapore Airlines, even in economy class. They always have extra food.

You will probably have a very long lay over in Singapore as the Johannesburg flight is the LAST flight to leave each night at 2 in the morning!

Not to worry ... Singapore is a fabulous place to visit for a day.

The airport is connected by subway to all the shopping malls. The latest and greatest is VIVO City, a very good electronics store there is "Best Denki".

http://www.vivocity.com.sg/home2.html

Another great mall/department store is Takashimaya at Ng Ahn City on Orchard Road, always with promotions, Terrific toy store there with Japanese toys at a fraction of Tokyo prices.

Taxis are very cheap in Singapore.

Sometimes when you get re-booked on a FF itin., the airline makes the mistake of putting you in a revenue fare bucket. If so, then you will hit the jackpot with a lot of FF miles earned!

If you are staying with South Africans, do ask them what they might need from Singapore as the voltage is the same and goods sold in Singapore generally come with an international warranty. I brought back a 32" LCD this last time, selling for under R 2000 (South Africa price, over R 5000).

10. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Your new name = Phineas Fogg :D At this rate you might win a week and get here yesterday!

11. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Mine is.

Edinburgh to Amsterdam
    Amsterdam to Nairobi
    Nairobi to Joburg.

12. johnnyshaker

johnnyshaker New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Ours are slightly scuppered by BA being on strike but we have an alternative flight to London then BA onto Johannesburg next Wednesday so fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Incidentally Brazil are staying in Randburg I believe, which is where we are staying. How difficult would it be to go and watch them training? How would I find this out?

13. BoughtMyPoints

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
  14. usaforthecup

usaforthecup Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Does anyone know if certified mail is a safe way to send tickets in South Africa (once you are in the country). BMP I know you suggested it but just wanted to make sure it was secure. Thanks......

15. BoughtMyPoints

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    It's "Registered" mail, not certified. Let me clarify ...

So far, I have sent more than a half a dozen envelopes and all arrived safely.

That said, sending parcels to South Africa can be very problematic, if not promptly picked up at the destination post office. Rather than returning parcels to sender, they disappear into a black hole. Has happened to me several times.

There is a plethora of private couriers (parcel services) in this country which most people would probably use, at greater cost. My problem is that I live in a small town without a Postnet/Mail Boxes, etc. type business to facilitate courier pick up, so the path of least resistance is to use the postal service and we rarely even have a queue at our local post office. So if you're in the big city, sometimes it's worth paying extra to use a courier to avoid queuing.

16. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love my flight, even more-so since my airport only offers flights to 3 US cities (San Juan, Miami, Atlanta). I get St. Croix>Atlanta>Johannesburg.

17. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a direct flight relative to my around the world adventure

18. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    When are you flying Nairobi > Joburg? We're doing that on 11th

19. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    1st july.

20. PHX85339

PHX85339 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just Booked at the Rosebank Lodge, just south of Sandton. Checking in 14jun-16jun. Thoughts on the area? Anyone around Sandton those dates I'll be going to Innesfree Park for the Fan Fest on the 15JUN.

21. big_guy

big_guy New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    i am fly out tuesday to cape town can't wait now :D

22. whizzergo

whizzergo Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Any tips for Jo'Burg to Rustenberg on Saturday morning?

The bus seems expensive at 100ZAR and we'd have to get from either side of it aswell.

If anyone could offer a ride from Jo'burg then 2 of us would be more than happy to chip in with cash.

23. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    10 quid is expensive?:)

24. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No - R100 is a bargain.

25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    This post was quoted in Newsweek. :D

There's a thread in World Cup General with the article.