How are MLS youth teams recruiting players & are they getting the best?

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by truthandlife, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Whatta Douche lol
    thanks Stan for pointing out that this guy cant read....

i thought i made it evident of what i was trying to imply with the bold letters, and my post

2. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very misleading though... those players were formed into a group right around the time the DA was being formed, and systems like Chivas USA, Chicago, Columbus, and DC have improved greatly since then. From the U-18 camp a few weeks ago, I think there were 8 players from MLS youth systems that were represented, with Chicago and New York being the biggest ones and Columbus and Chivas USA sending one a piece. I think we should wait a little bit before trying to argue this.

3. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I've always maintained the younger years are critical, although one could also reasonably argue the parents may be more important than the club. I'd start from U9 since since this is when select starts.

Given Dallas Texans Houston, I guess Texas may have been a bad choice. But as you go east to west the percentage of D1 points to total points tends to drop quite a bit. There are exceptions like Dallas Texans Houston and Schulz (how many started there prior to U13), but more common area the PDA's, Vardar's etc.

4. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    FCD has a youth product player called up to the Mexico U-17 World Cup team.

5. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Sure but in relation to recent posts on this thread, how long did he spend with FCD? He started with Texas FC (then Everton) then moved on to Andromeda. For both teams, he was able to play in the Dallas Cup where he was noticed by Real Madrid. I think he was even brought into the Mexican national team for a practice when they were in Dallas for a game. He's also played for a youth team for one of the pro teams in Mexico I believe before coming back to FC Dallas, where I believe Oscare Pareja was very influential.

FC Dallas does seem to be doing an incredible job recruiting the top players in the area though, I would certainly say that. Leyva, Woodbury, the twins that went to Argentina, Molano, Figueroa, Baladez, etc.. Hopefully they begin to develop the top players (from a young age) in the area as well. I'm a big fan of Mark Snell with the youngest age groups. I think he may have started with the 96s or 97s. Maybe in a few years we'll see what he was really able to do.

6. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting results in Houston last night. The Houston Texans (TSC/DTH) beat the Houston Dynamo Academy team in both age groups. U15/16 was 4 - 0 with the Dynamo getting utterly dominated. The U16/17 result was more respectable at 3-2.

Over time, the MLS Academy teams might get the best players but it doesn't look like it is the case yet down in Houston.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't read too much into these results. I'm sure there are enough good prospects to go around in Houston.

8. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    FCD beat Dallas Texans a month ago and Houston beat FCD before that (u18 level) so you can't read too much into just one game.

There's a very good level of competition in Texas between all the teams.

9. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention we are talking about developing individual talent not a cohesive team. MLS Academies are there to develop professionals not necessarily a team that wins every game or tournament. Having all the best kids doesn't mean they will play well together.

10. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Exactly and having the best kids play each other rather than wasting their time playing a couple of tough games a year and smearing the rest of the teams. In the games Ive seen there's been a ton of pressure on the kids and very heated competition which is a great thing.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And actually, I've come to believe that playing against good teams is less important than training with one. You learn to make better passes when you can anticipate your teammate making the good run, and vice-versa. And you have to think faster when your teammates first touches are better, because they're going to get you the ball faster that way.

12. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Totally agree with you. FC Barcelona's Academy team plays against some local teams every once in a while just so they can work on things. They do this to build confidence and work on things they worked on in practice that they couldn't work on if they were playing a very good team. They see it as a benefit even though they thrash these teams.

13. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    I don't think this is an either or thing. I would expect both and no less. The talents you scout and acquired executing your training and buying into your program philosophy. If the MLS academies are not winning, I would have concerns about the quality of coaching and training. cough...Galaxy, Fire

14. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Since there is more practice time than playing time it would make sense that quality of training is important. But look at it another way. Or would a kid of similar ability be better off sitting on the bench training at Wake or UNC as opposed to starting and playing large minutes for Clemson or Virginia Tech and getting to play against top competition in real games?

15. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a tough question to really get at. On the one hand the day to day environment of the bench player may be better, but getting minutes is important as well. It's a tough call, but I don't think it fits this discussion as we are talking about MLS Academy teams and if their teams should be dominating or if their training sessions are more important, which is a totally different animal. Most of the Academy players will see significant minutes as well as recieve, hopefully, exceptional training.

While you would think the superior talent wins games I don't think this is necessarily true, especially in soccer where the likes of a Hull can come out over an Arsenal on any given day. None would argue that Hull is a better side and has more individual talent than Arsenal, but on the day the Hull team may play a better game. Arsenal may just miss a few good chances or Hull has outstanding goalkeeper play on the day. Many things go into a soccer games outcome but none of that can take away from the training that the players get at home.

I think the Academy teams should be winning most of their games (and most are) but it shouldn't be their focus. These are also the first few years of the programs. Hell, the first few years of the league really and they are on the right track I believe. I think we will see the rules about Academies change slightly year to year and the Academies produce more first team prospects.

16. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would appear that the Fire is trying to change that by bringing in a coach that has enjoyed success the last two Academy seasons (5th and 3rd palce finishes at U-16). The fact that he brought the players that helped him get these results doesn't hurt their chances of success.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    In college, I think that logic might apply. Seems to me most youth programs younger than college-age rotate the minutes more among players, to the extent that if you're any good, you're getting some solid PT, even if you're on a power club.

18. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely what I said, although less abridged :p