How about another World Cup? for Smaller countries?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by DCUdiplomat96, Feb 12, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey Guys just a thought if FIFA ever thought of a World Cup for Smaller Coutries... Kinda like for international ofcourse, but for countries who are small and normally dont get a shot at the world cup, also maybe a promotion/relgation type thing between classes like they do in club Soccer? hollah back!

2. Pit-182

Pit-182 New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Modena, Italy
    I have to say you americans think many things that the rest of the world would never even imagine :eek:

As for the answer... mmhh.. NO :p

3. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    This already happens. It's called Confederation Championships. The champions then go to the Confederations Cup. Euro Cup has expanded to 24 teams for 2012 (Probably to make England a lock), so the chances of some of the UEFA cupcakes making it that far just increased.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I get what you're aspiring for, but the reality is this would likely be a) economically infeasible, b) viewed as insulting to those nations, and c) serve the entrench the caste system already present among footballing nations.

5. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We were one of the few countries that opposed the expansion :rolleyes:

6. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What players would be interested in a Junior World Cup designed to make it possible for them to participate in something just because their NTs couldn't earn qualification on the big stage? Taking time off the feedbag of club football for the World Cup is expected, and should be every footballer's dream. A Miss Congeniality Pageant wouldn't get me into a NT shirt if I were a player.

The NTs that are popular but do not qualify (Holland 2002 is the most recent example) wouldn't soil their NT's brand for a watered-down tournament and the definite non-Cup players you'd want to see (someone on the level of a Weah or at least a Hleb or Jaaskelainen) wouldn't have enough talent around them to make watching it worthwhile anyhow.

8. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i guess a Uefa cup would be pretty insulting too I guess, so would a champions league too:rolleyes:

9. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bruh you are so in left field, nice thought though

10. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said you can add a pro/rel format to the equation ..

11. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Asia has something along this vein called the AFC Challenge Cup, which is open to the 20 lowest ranked teams in AFC. They even let the winner qualify for the Asian Cup.

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the we could have a third world cup for the teams that don't make the WC for the teams that don't make the world cup..... still Canada woudn't qualify. :p

13. TechFootball85

TechFootball85 New Member

May 1, 2007
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hockey is doing what DCU suggests. They have three, four classifications and there are promotions/relegations between classes according to results on the ice.

14. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good old-fashioned England-bashing.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    And why ignore the fact that since the Euros has had a finals (since 1980) England has appeared in the same number of final stages as France and Italy.

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you can add pro rel to a cup? How?

They might have it in international ice hockey, but the world championships there are a league system

The only way you could do it would be to have a tournament for the teams that didn't quite make it to the main event. Would countries actually want to take part in a "World Cup "B" tournament" though?

Assuming 32 qualifiers, based on qualification for 2006, you'd have these teams.

Europe:
    Slovakia
    Turkey
    Norway
    Romania
    Denmark
    Russia
    Israel
    Scotland
    Austria
    Bosnia
    Bulgaria
    Greece
    Ireland

S.America
    Ururguay
    Chile
    Colombia
    Venezuela
    Peru

Africa
    Senegal
    DR Congo
    Cameroon
    Nigeria
    Morocco

Asia
    Uzbekistan
    Kuwait
    Bahrain
    North Korea

N.America
    Trinidad
    Guatemala
    Panama

Oceania
    Solomon Islands

play off - Honduras v China.

how many would take part? Who would host?

17. milk

milk New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Club:
    Real Valladolid CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes my friends and I have competitions to see who can hook up with the hottest girl out of a group of ugly chicks. It's ok, but at least it gives more people the opportunity to feel special.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! So that would mean WC for every team in CONMEBOL. I will admit it, it's totally unplausable but it would be fun to see. Would be much more interesting and open of a tournament than the hierarchy-dominated traditional world cup.. think of all of the talent that would be unearthed too....

19. TechFootball85

TechFootball85 New Member

May 1, 2007
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    32 is too much. 24 would be appropriate.

Host: 1
    UEFA: 10
    CONMEBOL: 3
    CAF: 3
    AFC: 3
    CONCACAF: 3
    OFC: 1

20. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    That is what the FIFA U-20 World Cup is for. *Gasps*

21. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Many smaller and (some could argue) undeserving nations have gotten shots in the World Cup, often at the expense of more deserving ones. Slovenia, Zaire, the UAE, Kuwait, El Salvador, New Zealand, China, Greece, etc.

22. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Davis Cup?

23. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The problem with that argument is you have to base that on the competitors from the same region who didnt qualify. If you look at 1982 when Kuwait and NZ qualified they did it over China and Saudi, hardly teams you would consider to be deserving nations. Or take China in 2002, they qualified over UAE, Uze, Oman and Qatar...

I dont agree with having a WC for the smaller teams but I would like to see some changes to maybe the UEFA and CAF regions. You can probably combine the last two seeds in the regions and have an additional tournament where x number of teams go into the final phase of qualifiers. This will take away 2-4 matchdays in your final round and provide better competition. The "smaller" teams will have more games where they have a chance of winning.

24. YooAhJin

YooAhJin Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Its dominated by Euro and S. American sides.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't watch it. Not even realistic right now given the current economy condition.