How a first class defender was lost!!!

Discussion in 'Bolton Wanderers' started by TheBee, Oct 3, 2003.

1. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    This is a true story about how a captain of one national team and an ex Juventus player was tricked by Bolton to come and sign a contract. After his arrival in England he was told he has to undergo a trial. Later the club published the news about how he was unsuccessful. The truth is he never ever kicked the ball in Bolton. He was shocked to learn what has been written about him.

MIRKOVIC SAID: NO!!!!!!

Perhaps Zoran Bata Mirkovic would be perfect for Bolton Wanderers FC. At least that is what the English media seemed to think. Perhaps he would be ideal as cover for the injured player Leville. That is what the English media were writing. They already saw Serbia and Montenegro national team captain playing at Reebook stadium. They were sure Mirkovic would sign a contract. What can they say now? We asked Bata. "There will be no deal. We went separate ways."

He continued: "Before I went to England everything seemed perfect and Bolton had agreed to all of my conditions. Unfortunately, problems started as soon as we made direct contact. They said: "We want to see you". That surprised me. And I surprised them by saying: "You are watching me. I imagine you can also see me". But the English didn't give up: "I was listening and could hardly believe how persistent they were. They continued saying: "We are playing on two goals in today's training. This would be perfect for you." It seems they didn't understand me so I repeated: "You are watching me, you can see me. And if you have a video recorder and a tape of the England - Serbia and Montenegro match, you can see me there too. And I am not going to run away from the medical table either! Call the doctors and they can check me out."

Mirkovic has achieved so much in his illustrious career, playing for some of Europe's finest clubs and playing 59 times for his country. Zoran Mirkovic feels he does not have to prove his ability to anyone, even when a large sum of money is involved. But this struggling English club still hoped: "They continued insisting. They told me that Ibrahim Ba was here on trial for three months before he signed. I replied: "Good for Ibrahim, but I am Zoran Mirkovic. I have my principles and nobody will be walking all over me."

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sour grapes, he's just pissed off that we didn't offer him a deal. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows Bolton only offer deals to out of contract players when they have sucessfully completed a trial, reputation plays no part. The arrogant little toss wit is no different to anyone else. Jorge Vargas is a better player and he's not complaining about having a trial.

3. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    He is not pissed because he has not been offered a contract. He is pissed because he was dragged there under false pretence. They clearly tricked him. And that is why he went home straight away. What a good start with a new club, the first thing they do is lie to you.

He may be arrogant, but he is not a lier. Like some people in Bolton. God only knows what they do to their players after they are in their mercy (under a contract).

Jorge Vergas better??? You don't even know what you could've had.

See you in the First Division!!!

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's an idiot if he didn't know he was coming for a trial because he was only ever mentioned as being a trialist. It's not Bolton's fault his IQ is less than his shirt number. As I said he's just bitter they didn't offer him a contract.

5. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    How can you possibly claim he is stupid when you don't even know him? I am telling you what they told him. To come, go through he medical and sign a contract. No trial was ever mention. There was no missunderstanding. They deliberately tricked him. They thought he will give in once he was there.

You don't know what they said to him. You know what you read in the papers. I know because I talked to Mirkovic before he left Serbia and on the day he returned.

You say he was only mentioned as a trialist. True, but that news was published after his arrival. And not before.

Mirkovic is not bitter. Bolton would be a step down in his career. I have no idea what he was doing there anyway. The money would be good, I imagine. But you could have never payed him as he was payed before.

It doesn't really matter. You will continue to defend you club. And that's normal. I would do the same. But they lied. Surely that wasn't for the first and the last time.

6. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    My point was: This is a huge loss for Bolton. You could have had an excellent defender.

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My point is that if he was as good as you say he is, didn't have such a big ego and let his football doing the talking he'd have walked the trial. The money would have been crap, because we have none, but if he was as good as he's suggested he'd have stuck it out instead of crying to the press that no-one wants him. Given that he felt the need to come out in the press and say this just goes to show that Bolton dodged a bullet, we don't need players with an attitude like this.

8. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    He didn't go to the press. Mirkovic doesn't like giving interviews and rarely gives them. They called him and he just gave this one interview. They wanted to know why he didn't sign and he told them. Nevertheless, your club has the right to lie and he doesn't have the right to tell the truth? Besides, he didn't talk to English press. He gave an interview for a Serbian sports newspaper.

It's not about his ego. They lied to him. And that's why he left. But his deprature is your loss more than his. He is a superb player and Bolton would have benefited big time.

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    So Bolton lied to him? Really? We don't really have any means of knowing that, now do we? But looking at how Bolton's picked up some other players lately, it hasn't been their style to toss around a lot of cash and buy guys upfront. Why except differently for yourself? And didn't anyone tell him that if he wants to be bought based on a resume and some videotape, the gaffer for that is Peter Reid? ;)

So where is this guy playing his club football these days?

10. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't know what he is up to the last few days. He is training with his former club (currently playing CL), but I don't know who he is talking to or what his plans are.

I am not saying Bolton should take a player without a trial. If that is club's policy, fine by me. But don't trick players.

You don't have any means to know that, but I do. Mirkovic is my personal friend. He has always told me the truth, no matter what it was. He never ever lied to me. You think he would start with Bolton???

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Doesn't sound to me like Bolton "tricked" him at all.

They told him what terms they would be willing to offer him, then after verbal agreement said that final signature on those terms would dependent on a trial. If Bolton would have said he had to do a trial before even knowing what money they were offering, any player in their right mind would have told them to get lost. It's standard practise to give an idea of what's on offer before proceeding to the next step. Just because a club offers initial terms to a player, doesn't automatically mean they have to proceed straight to final signature, especially when that player has not been playing recently.

The England - Serbia friendly showed nothing, no manager would be crazy enough to sign a player after only watching them recently in a half-pace game like that. If Mirkovic doesn't understand that, then no wonder he's drifting along doing nothing. I think Bolton got off lucky, Mirkovic would get eaten alive in the Premiership.

12. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Oh please!!! A word trial was never mentioned. They were desperate, they wanted him and told him to come, go through a medical and sign.

I am not debating this anymore, because you apparently don't understand me. You know everything, I know nothing. Bolton is the greatest club (with no money as said above, and horrible defence) when Mirkovic is a bad player who just in the last three seasons earned more than ten million dollars. And I am not counting the money from Juventus. I bet he got all this money for being no good.

You say he would get eaten in Premiership. Do you even know who Mirkovic is? Have you ever seen him play? If yes, please tell me what matches you watched, when and what position he played there.

13. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Six goals? Do you still claim you are better off?

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, because as it is they've still got the money to sign a defender to help them out, especially after a freakish result against one of the most attacking teams in the Premiership. If they had that fat fool Mirkovic they'd be worse off than they are now and also with his salary draining their resources.

Besides where is the mighty Mirkovic these day? Real Madrid? Barcelona? Surely if he's too good for Bolton then he must be playing regularly for a top half of the table team in either Spain or Italy.

If not, then I suppose that just proves he's past it and no good to anyone eh? ;)