Houston, We Have A Shield.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by taco jones, Dec 22, 2005.

1. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the one tie for each of the 17 railroads I can interpret.

Is the AW__ the Cherokee word for 'Raven' mentioned?

2. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    OK, I like that MLS learned from "The Clash", but are we supposed to say "I caught the Republic's game on TV last night?" Does MLS have to stay away from the Sam Houston "Raven" reference because of the NFL's Ravens? Anyway, I am glad they are wised up enough to stay away from contrived crap.

3. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What I'd like MLS to try is (what Football Manager/Worldwide Soccer Manager did - formerly Championship Manager, for those that know it was to) put the chosen new name of their game (when they rebranded from CM to FM) to the fans for them to design a new logo etc...

There are enough accomplished artists out there that people could have a crack, and even if they couldn't do a perfect version, they could at least provide the concept drawing.

It was a great success, and the winner was paid something (2500 I think, but I dont recall).

They posted some of the best ones and it was done by elimination voting, kinda like Americal Idol, if you will.

It was a good compromise, because they got to pick the original shortlist, and had high fan participation....both in the design and final choice.

I'd like to see them try something like that either with Houston, or one of the future teams.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I freaking love it!!!

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may like it - you may not. Its not gorgeous. Its not perfect.

But at least it's not boring. It actually has character. It looks aged.

The recent MLS logos look all slick, shiny and corporate - very bland. Metros / FCD/ SJ

This one is unique and for that very reason alone I hope its approved.

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its pretty good!

7. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    As a die-hard Democrat, I have no problem calling the team "Republic." As a soccer fan, I like the name and the design/colors. I agree that the gold/orange and light blue don't go well together. Both would look good with black.

Even if this just one option for the team it's a good one. Last night on The Soccer Hour with Glen Davis, Oliver Luck (new team president) said the name and colors would be announced in mid-January. So I wouldn't be surprised if they've got a bunch of options already in the works.

8. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no art major, but aren't Orange and Blue complimentary colors...so they do go together.

[​IMG]
    Here you go. Orange is a secondary color and is across from the primary blue so they are complimentary.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Where do you get "Rangers"? I can't see it anywhere...

Gotta say... I don't like it. The train looks like a toddler toy. The light blue??

And I also dislike the name, mainly b/c I dislike the association w/ that time period in history, when Sam Houston et al broke away from Mexico under the pretense of forming a Republic w/ no intentions of joining the US. Complete bs.

If it hadn't been for Santa Anna getting his arrogant, Vergara-esque ass whooped, modern Mexico would prolly not exist in its current form. Santa Anna went up to Texas in order to make an example of Texas so as to keep together a fracturing union. The real prize was Zacatecas and the Yucatan, NOT Texas. And then the idiot signed away the best parts of Nuevo Leon, parts that weren't even part of Texas!! Much of South Texas went from being Nuevo Leoneses to Texans overnight.

And then ... miraculously... 10 years later, this "Republic" controlled by former US citizens, suddenly got interested in becoming a part of the US. :rolleyes:

10. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
  11. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    You're right about the comlimentary colors. But I fear the ones displayed are too light to go together. If they were the true blue and orange from the wheel, then we're good. But they look closer to the blue-green and yellow-orange on my monitor -- too close for my tastes.

But I consider this a quality problem: What colors will our new team wear?

12. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    You mean like how Columbus had a "name the team contest", with one of the choices being "Crew", and the number to call and register your vote ended C-R-E-W?

13. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

But then the Texas Handbook Online states:

14. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The naming contests are a total fraud... The name, colors, mascots etc. are determined way in advanced... Those contests are like Houston... TOOLs

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

I now love this name. I'm gonna stuff the ballot box. Edit to note: Nothing against 'Los. I just like sticking it to the Mexicans.

Sachin

16. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL...yep....at least in the US, I have yet too see a true, honest, for real "Name The Team" contest. :p

Caveat: Yes. I know. There are always exceptions.

17. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Only if he had stayed at the Alamo. :D Ni modo. We're coming back for the lost land. :D

Since it does have a train in the logo, those of us who don't like the nick name "Republic" can always call 'em....Locomotiv Houston. :p

[​IMG]

18. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Blue should be darker, more of a New York Knicks-Blue. To go with the Orange, perfectly describes the type of season both the Knicks and the Republic will have.

BTW, Jar-Jar Binks should be the club mascot. :D

19. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
  20. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT

Do you think a multimilion dollar business would leave this kink of decision up to a bunch of internet nuts?!

What do you think a degree in marketing is for?=)

21. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    CAN YOU DIG ITTTTTTT??? I can dig it!

22. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Mexicanos or mexicanas? :D

23. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep !

24. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    With this shield, there can be only one nickname:

LOKOMOTIV HOUSTON

Back in late '97 I pleaded with Wilt to name the
    Chicago franchise Lokomotiv Chicago as that town
    has the largest railroad legacy in the US... and so
    as not to "steal" or "copy" the Burn's combustion
    motif.... obviously to no avail. But then we might
    not have had Brimstone, and all other copycat
    trophies, including the Preston Road Trophy that
    Lamar Hunt and Jerry Jones now trade whenever
    the Cowboys and Chiefs play.....

in any event...

Hopefully someone at MLS will read this and then
    insure they get the cherokee name right....

Paging Segroves for the authoritative interpretation
    on the Sam Houston nickname.....

-bs

25. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah why not? Doesn't sound bad. Or "I caught Republic's game" or "I caught RFC's game."

I love the supermarket tabloid investigating level of American soccer fans. We get this from a bike messenger with a camera phone. I love it! It's like being in a secret society haha

Northside's right, it's not perfect, but it's a damn sight better than most new logos in any pro sport in this nation. And Quake fans are gonna neg rep me, and I'll whisper it quietly, but I like it better than the Q's crest.