Houston @ SKC 7/7/, 7pm p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KopRules, Jul 5, 2012.

1. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Houston is only 8 pts behind us in as many League matches. Surprisingly, they've played just one fewer home game than SKC. For what its worth, SKC are +8 on Houston in goal differential.

Tuesday night 7/2, without injured Jeff Cameron, Houston drew Chicago (o-o) at BBVA. A day later, Cameron was still listed as questionable.

With no cautions midweek, Collin should be off the accumulation list when it updates. PV will have a rested Cesar, and the services of Bobby Convey, should he so choose. With Nagamura back, and Peterson playing well, this match probably has the most roster options of any we've had in weeks or more.

Drink plenty of water. Lets beat some ass.

2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revenge twice in one week.....I like it. :sneaky:

3. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised when I noticed that, as well. What worries me, though, is that New York has also played one fewer home game than SKC and now has Henry back. The three head-to-head matches with them--only one of which is at LSP--will be crucial.

Collin made it through three straight games without getting a yellow? Impressive! Although I have to wonder if this was part of the reason why Di Vaio had so much success in the first half last night.

Good timing! Nothing will ever completely erase the unspeakably empty feeling that I experienced on November 6, 2011, but a solid win Saturday would definitely help.

4. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York worries me more than Houston at this point since we still have to go there twice.

Houston also played a midweek game and haven't looked great, so I'm really hoping we come away with another win. I expected 4 points out of these two games, so 6 would be wonderful.

You know what the worst part about this year has been? Having expectations of greatness.....

5. ockk

ockk Member

Jun 1, 2003
    raymore
    It may not be the right place for this,,, but I just read on terra.com that FIFA has approved the electronic goal scoring technology

6. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Taking the missus and doing the Shield Club thingy Saturday. Maybe get some A/C and see the game.

Although we got a result against MTL, I'm not optimistic about getting the same against HOU.

7. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref info is available on MLSSoccer.com - Penso, who we last saw in that horrific FCD loss and also saw in the 4-2 win over Toronto, both last year.

From Football-Lineups.com it looks like he had a period there where he was giving out PKs and RCs left and right, but hasn't given any in the last few games.

More info:

REFEREE: Chris Penso.
    MLS Career: 22 games; FC/gm: 21.9; Y/gm: 3.0; R: 5; pens: 10

27-Aug-11 MLS Conference - M.24 Kansas C 2:3 FC Dallas 28 6 [​IMG] 1 [​IMG] 20018
    23-Jul-11 MLS Conference - M.19 Kansas C 4:2 Toronto 23 4 [​IMG] 16382

8. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I really think that if we score first we win. They score first we lose. Someone will score. I don't see a tie in this one.

9. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Sapong is getting zero services. This team is going to struggle to get into scoring positions unless the mids get the ball off their feet quickly.

10. ZinedineZusi

ZinedineZusi Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    did the ball have helium in it tonight, or were our shots flying into the stands because of the heat?

11. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunbury's shot killed me.

12. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No kidding, was he trying to prove that he belonged on the bench?

Other than that, not much to say. Crappy finishing again like usual, but most aspects of the game was good. Someone needs to tell Zusi he doesn't need to blast the ball for every shot. Even Peterson had some nice shots on goal.

13. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be charitable and say that he realized he would have no angle, so he just spun and crossed it blindly in hopes that someone would be there. Yeah, that's the ticket. :rolleyes:

On the whole, I thought that was a solid performance from our guys. Except that we can't shoot with any accuracy. At all. Which is kind of important.

14. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of two things need to happen for SKC : 1. Move the goal up to about row 23 just under the jumbotron (Nagamura's shot still would have gone over)' just to give them a chance to hit the net, or 2. Get a technical director in here that can teach these guys how to strike a shot on goal.....cheezzzz...

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that shot went clean into the nebraska furniture mart parking lot.

16. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Bunbury made a great snap move on Taylor and missed his shot. How come come there is no criticism of sapong's shot? You sound like a hater.

17. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our finishing is going to cost us any chance of winning hardware. Even the best players in the world can have bad attempts but it is just insane to me that guys that are professional players can have such poor accuracy. We either shot way off or right at the keeper. Did we force Tally Hall to make any difficult saves tonight? How often do we make keepers make amazing saves? Nielsen is forced at at least a couple of times a game to do something great but we cannot manage to make opposing keepers work at all. Opposing keepers are basically getting a free paycheck for the week when we are on schedule. We need a finisher. We need someone that can finish all the chances we are creating. If our ownership wants to win hardware, they need to get that person here. Overpay if you need too, just get us a clinical finisher or even two of them. On top of that maybe we need another coach that can teach these guys to get the ball on frame.

Maybe both Saad and Peterson need to start because it seems like they can place the ball on frame. Zusi definitely needs to decrease his power when he swings back. He seems like the guy that overshoots on the pin on the golf course. Nagamura had time to take a touch or two before his blast.

It is so frustrating to watch our guys outplay teams and not be able to take advantage of the possession and chances that they create.

18. ryanhetu

ryanhetu Member

May 16, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must want to hang onto your big soccer name pretty bad bobunbury. He was awful this game and last. That shot was horrendous. Look I want Bunbury to do well. I want him to be a great player but he really isn't cutting it for us. It may be time for him play second fiddle to Saad like two games ago.

19. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    You are correct, that was an awful shot, but he created his own chance. Sapong, on the other hand missed a point blank shot. But who gets criticized, Bunbury. Where is your objectivity?

20. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should be used to it by now, but the short-sighted nature of these boards really kills me.

Re: The Bunbury Shot
    Teal very much knows that it's going to take something special to score from that angle, and that he knew he was all alone. So he tried something special and it failed. Sometimes bad misses aren't because they just screwed up that badly.

Re: The Overcooked and Over-the-bar misses
    Tally Hall isn't the type of keeper you just score on with tame efforts. Do you remember last year @ Houston? Zusi, Nagamura, et. al. had to put some pace on it to have a chance to score. We put plenty of tame efforts into the arms of Hall, we didn't need more.

You know who I'm upset with? Kei - because he took away the through-ball to Peterson when he should've known to let that through. Peterson was onside and in-on-goal if he lets that go. There were other situations where I thought he made the wrong decision.

And honestly, as far as Teal v Sapong - Teal has been putting in a lot more effort out there than Sapong has been in recent games (and not talking about this game where Teal would obviously be coming in fresh)... I honestly would prefer Teal at this point, I just don't see CJ doing enough to get him in a position to score. Teal at least is doing that and screwing it up.

21. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Highly disagree.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait...

Of all the crap shots tonight you choose that one? Was it bad? Yes. Were there worse shots tonight? Absolutely, Nagamura at least once, Zusi at least twice from outside the box. At least Bunbury can claim he was attempting a cross/shot. What is their excuse?
    How dare you choose Bunbury over Sapong. Sapong can do no wrong according to the majority of this board.

This game is better just forgotten.

23. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Shreveport, LA (temporarily displaced from KC)
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Effort - no question CJ still has the edge. I like Teal off the bench though, he is an asset there. As for his "shot" I thought it was a cross to space in the (blind) hope that someone would make a run. The team looked controlled but tired in their movements. Even Roger seemed a touch slower than usual. The high shots are simply not acceptable. Vermes' KC teams have historically been at the bottom of the league in shots vs. sog. Check the numbers, last year was the only exception to that rule. I would rather see 10 shots into the keepers hands than one into the stands. The goal is on the field, not in some imaginary space in the air that you can power the ball to. Step over the ball to shoot it, this is grade school level basics. At this point Zusi should just not be allowed to shoot for one game (and Kei too, though his have been less ugly to me.) And while I'm bagging on Zeus, I think we miss having someone else take the occasional corner. Bobby being back would help there too I think.

I'll take the point, but it feels like we left two on the table here.

24. ZinedineZusi

ZinedineZusi Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sean Johnson sure made it look like work last week.

25. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004