Houston @ Revs, 8/17/11, 8pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 15, 2011.

1. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm honestly starting wonder if the Revs' depth chart isn't so much indicative of their on-field skill but whether they're "Nicol's favorites."

Ryan Guy, who has more experience than Boggs and scored 20+ goals in the Irish Premier League (yes, I know that league stinks by reputation but it can't be that much of a huge disparity compared to than MLS) and actually played well in his 1 start, has disappeared and Boggs always gets the nod over him.

Schilawski, who has scored zero goals as a sub and has scored maybe 2 in his admittedly short Revs career that weren't unmarked tap ins (or handballs), always gets subbed in over Koger or Fagundez who might provide a differnet spark/change of pace.

When the Gambians are healthy Nicol automatically burns 2 of his 3 subs on them no matter what the situation.

Sinovic and Stolica are both gone for unknown reasons, neither getting much of a shot while they were here this year. Really, how much of the game management problems are Nicol being stubborn?

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This stands out to me as well.

Is Boggs a legitimate professional? Are we actually paying this guy REAL money and not this?

[​IMG]

I know better players that would play for no more than a plate of brownies and a glass of milk. If he really IS our best option at outside mid, then I fear we have worse problems than I thought.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the stats, you can see that we were actually lucky to even walk away with a point. Thanks to Reis anyway.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the final third, his amount of completed passes was pretty much the same as giveaways.

Did a quick analysis here. He had 5 crosses, all incomplete.

5. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't looked through the entire thread..Are people or Did people actually think that just because we led the entire game on a shite goal that we actually played anything resembling an Association Football match?
    Cuz, even the word poor thanks you if you associated it with last night's match..!

Got to see it with DVR running...reverse viewing on many an occasion. I felt bad for Benny, Reis & Milton..and only because I know what he's put into this team over his career, Shalrie...Oh yea, and ANY FAN who had to PAY $$ from their dwindling disposable income.

Sorry, I wasn't there to truly whistle my arse off...

6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I couldn't disagree more. This kid can't even trap a ball. He truly is a black hole for possession; once the ball goes in, it never comes out. I think he's the worst player to start for the Revs since the late 90s. I would sign Khano in a heartbeat if it meant never having to see this kid play again.

7. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Two words: Wells Thompson. Boggs is like a reincarnation, but I don't know that he's actually worse than Thompson. Agree Khano is better, sadly.

8. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving away possession...like Wells Thompson

9. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Wells and Boggs are playing checkers while others play chess. Or maybe playing tic-tac-toe while others play checkers, you get the idea.

10. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of these things make him the PERFECT Rev's starter

11. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As per the Postgame quotes:

"Referee Michael Kennedy
    (Written answer to Pool Reporter’s written submitted question postgame)

Q: Please explain what you saw in the stoppage time scuffle involving A. Moffat and M. Reis and describe the final verdict in the situation.

A: #16 Adam Moffat of Houston received a second caution for committing an act which, in the opinion of the referee, shows lack of respect for the game and was sent off for a second caution offense. #1 Matt Reis was sent off for use of offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures.
    "

Matt got a straight red for language? Really? A yellow makes sense, but a straight red?

Must have called the umpire a c0cksucker.

12. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were many things to be disappointed by last night, but very few surprises.

I was happy for Cochrane, scoring against his old teammates. He looked fired up and had one of his better nights. I never thought that taking him out of the game would make us weaker, but so is the state of the Revs.

We see these glimpses where things briefly come together - Mansally, Shalrie and Benny combining nicely, or Caragilio getting involved, but these are mere punctuation marks in a long run-on sentence of truly crappy soccer.

Speaking personally, I am hard pressed to even get angry at the team's play anymore (ok, that's a little surprising). If I could point at one thing - Nicol's substitutions - I felt they really sealed the deal for us. His hand was kind of forced on Cochrane - who apparently had some vision issues from a collision - but the situation cried out for shifting Barnes to CB and putting in a left back. Wait, you can't move Tierney back because Houston has some speed on the wings, Domi and Sinovic are gone, and Loewy (a CB) isn't even dressed. Part of me really wanted to see Diego rather than McCarthy - Diego wants the ball and his quickness would have drawn 1 or 2 defenders away from their buildup play. Given how chippy the game was getting, I can't fault Nicol too much for holding him out.

BTW, If I am Otto Loewy, I'm thinking that I must either a) suck or b) need to start angling for my release, or c) pray for a coaching change. Ditto Ryan Guy.

We are playing out the string - no more, no less. Nobody seriously raises the possibility that the Baltimore Orioles will win the make the AL playoffs, but they are still mathematically alive. I love how Brad and Jay insist on perpetuating this preposterous notion.

13. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So many times last night, once Boggs got the ball a bunch of orange shirts would immediately close in on him and he tried to dribble out of it every time. And it doesn't help that many times his first touch was poor.

14. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to admit, Reis did have that card coming, he ran directly at Moffet, and after about one word was said, threw his hands out, chest bumped the shit out of him, and immediately began chirping at the ref and players.

physical provocation = straight red unfortunately.

What I don't understand is why he got a red for language? He isn't sitting in the Fort, lucky he wasn't arrested.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he has been banned from the stadium.

16. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And with that Monty, I need a new office chair, due to falling out of this one laughing.

17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I am assuming you are just joking with you fort comment which is classic ;), but language is grounds for straight red (right from Fifa LOTG)

18. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I didn't know that, it must me similar to baseballs rule, leaving it to the referees discretion based on severity, think of how many managers argue a call versus how many actually get tossed.

I say this because I dont see many players getting tossed for vulgarity, at least not nearly as many as you can visibly and sometimes audibly see watching from home.

19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutwrenching loss of 2 points.
    In past years, we've played poorly, scored a garbage goal, Reis has stood on his head, and we get the 3 points. Not this doomed season.

Nickel just had to get his boys , McCarthy and Failin', in there. Just had to.

Ryan Guy is worse than Zak Boggs? I'll believe it when I see it.

20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Too bad they didn't ask about the no-call when one of our CBs got basically clotheslined going for a header.

21. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Aside from the fact that these guys never (or rarely) get reds for the shoving/bumping, good for Matt. I thought the play deserved the response, although the language used must have been a poor choice.

22. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't blame Reis one bit for going ballistic (Phelan is the last guy you want going head first into the boards), but he had to go for one reason or another. He pushed and/or struck Moffat in the face, which had it it been seen is supposed to be a straight red for violent conduct.

Hopefully this is an incident that gets well-reviewed. Referees need to be more aware of what's going on even if they're busy blowing the whistle for full time, and they need to be more aware of things like Phelan's situation that have a higher probability of leading to confrontations.

23. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, I've seen Wells play a few times for the Rapids, and I can at least see evidence of the upside that prompted Nicol to trade up for him in the draft. He gets a little more space and time in Colorado's system, from the little I've seen, and it helps. The heads down dribbling and reckless fouling still seem to be holding him back...

24. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Are we the slowest team in the MLS these days?

25. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Probably. Joseph and Phelan might be two of the slowest players in the league now.