Houston forwards scoring this year

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by dynamofan, Jul 9, 2007.

1. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Remember last year when we were all worried that most of the team's goals were coming from the midfield, and the defenders had more goals than the forwards not named Ching?

What a difference a year makes. Compare last year's scoring to this year's scoring. For purposes of this analysis, I included Mullan's goal in the forward category, because he was playing forward when he scored it.

2007 totals by position:

Forwards: 10 goals in 16 games (48%)
    Midfield: 9 goals (43%)
    Defenders: 1 goal (4.5%)
    Own goals received: 1 goal (4.5%)
    TOTAL: 21 goals in 16 games (on pace for 42 goals in a 32 game season)

2006 totals by position:

Forwards: 17 goals in 32 games (39%)
    Midfield: 17 goals (39%)
    Defenders: 9 goals (20%)
    Own goals received: 1 goal (2%)
    TOTAL: 44 goals in 32 games

Even more notable, last year of the 17 goals scored by the forwards, 11 were scored by Ching. We all moaned about how nobody but Ching could score from the forward position. This year, of the 10 goals scored by the forwards, there is much better distribution across the forwards -- 5 are by Ngwenya, 4 by Ching, and 1 by Mullan.

Also, last year of the 17 goals scored by the midfield, 11 were scored by DeRo. This year, of the 9 goals scored by the midfield, there is much better distribution as well - 3 for DeRo, 3 for Davis, 2 for Holden, and 1 for Clark.

It will be interesting to see if DeRo and Ching take over more of the scoring now that both are back and stepping up their games. But it's good to see more distributed scoring, and much less reliance on the defenders to score (how long until we start complaining because the defenders are not scoring enough :D )

2. The_Funkie_Junkie

The_Funkie_Junkie New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Beaumont, TX
    wow...great research. Thanks for the facts.

3. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good research, it goes with what I've been thinking about the better balance the team has been forced into by last years two big guns going cold on us. Who wold have guessed Ngwenya would be leading the scoring at this point with almost 25% of all goals.

Personally, I rather see that balance continue then for Ching and DeRo be "the" scoring threats. But if everyone is taking the shots and those two start leading the scoring, that's fine too. Whatever it takes to keep the other teams guessing...

4. The_Funkie_Junkie

The_Funkie_Junkie New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Beaumont, TX
    I think we have an all around team that will keep everyone guessing on who will score the next goal. That's what you need. If you only have a couple of great players, you can double them very easily, and it screws up the whole team's game, but if you have an all around team, then you open the field up, and the goals just keep coming. I'm happy with our team right now, and think we will be taking home another championship. I have $50 on it...lol.

5. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    And the forwards keep on scoring. Updated after July 12 win in Chicago:

2007 totals by position:

Forwards: 13 goals in 16 games (52%)
    Midfield: 10 goals (40%)
    Defenders: 1 goal (4.0%)
    Own goals received: 1 goal (4.0%)
    TOTAL: 25 goals in 17 games (on pace for 47 goals in a 32 game season)

2006 totals by position:

Forwards: 17 goals in 32 games (39%)
    Midfield: 17 goals (39%)
    Defenders: 9 goals (20%)
    Own goals received: 1 goal (2%)
    TOTAL: 44 goals in 32 games