Houston’s Other Sports Teams Talk 2.0 [NDR]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Beavis Stiffler, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a good point. It's a somewhat different market than it was 15 years ago but I'd note that the Astros highest attendance years were 2006 & 2007 and it wasn't until 2018 that the Astros drew as much as they did in 2008. Astros didn't have a huge effect on Robertson-era attendance.

What I am saying is while the Dynamo may whine about the competition in Houston, they did most of this to themselves by being cheap and providing a poor customer experience.

In total, there are many more options today and there are more activities and kids leagues in every sport than before.

Dynam0 repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the announced an attendance of 17k which seems legit. Really the XFL was suited for stadiums like BBVA but I'm sure there was a reason they chose UH (some of which might have been practice facilities usage and locker rooms, etc.). Then again, they wanted $130k per game plus $1.50 -$3.00 per ticket fee to rent out BBVA to UH in 2013 so maybe they just wanted to much.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was set to go but my old trainer from my team at Madison, she up and needed immediate surgery to her leg on Saturday so I did not get to our Roughnecks opener. We did watch it on TV and it looked like a good time down at TDEAC. Quality gridiron on display as well! Will be going next home game for sure!

Our market is stacked with athletic options, Dynamo FO must get on it.
    We also need to mention that our Dynamo compete for fans of our local teams but as well as futbol goes, Liga MX and other footy die hards! Their kids to be had, brought in young!

Westside Cosmo and Dynam0 repped this.
  4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo could take a lesson. Funny this is that there are former Dynamo folks running this

Screenshot_20200210_210719_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean they don’t have a ticket rep who argues with you via social media and blames you for being part of a Circle of Suck?

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Houston FC

@HoustonFCTX

Houston FC 2 will open its season in
    @UPSLsoccer
    Div 2 vs APTX at 10am. Due to Covid-19 precautions, no spectators will be allowed into the facility but you can set up your seats outside of the fence with a clear view of the field.

*rey* repped this.
  7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Westbury Christian Athletic Complex! Their school went and purchased the old YMCA on Fondren Rd some years ago. Kept the building, fields and pool. Even built on the old soccer n baseball field I grew up playing on in the 80's, made it a very nice baseball stadium for their high school teams.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CeltTexan repped this.
  13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From their website:
    UPSL Central Conference Manager Matt Kahla said, "Roger Galo has worked very hard to get Panthers United FC up and running and we're pleased to announce the club as a new member of the Central Conference South Division II. His club in Houston has all the tools to make a run this season to promote into Division I and I look forward to watching his club's continued growth into the future."

The Owner and Head Coach of Panthers United FC, Galo is a former professional footballer, last playing for Houston Hurricanes (USL) and Alianza FC (El Salvador). He currently owns and operates El River Park Soccer League, a thriving amateur 7v7 league in Houston.

Roger Galo is indeed a former footballer for our city's USL Houston Hurricanes FC. Class player, cunning forward with "tecnika", pace and a good nose for the goal. I am very glad to witness an old player from our HHFC club come up as an owner and head coach of this new team in the UPSL. Best of luck Roger and your team!

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool article on our old point guard Stevie Franchise from ESPN:

https://theundefeated.com/features/...r-kobe-and-a-photo-shoot-with-destinys-child/

What was it like playing with one of the greatest centers of all time, Hakeem Olajuwon?

[​IMG]
    Retiring Houston Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon (left) greets Steve Francis (right) before an NBA game against the Golden State Warriors at Compaq Center on Nov. 9, 2002, in Houston.

Bill Baptist/NBAE via Getty Images

He was a big brother, and uncle. From the first day he taught me about professionalism. He was a guy who had a legacy, and it was great to see how much love he got from the city of Houston.

Here was a guy who came to the United States of America with nothing, and he built an empire and created a following that will always be there. Hakeem had an influence on me off the court because he was a very intelligent businessman. He helped me learn how to handle my off-the-court business.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston FC

@HoustonFCTX

6h
    Saturday night we take on
    @FC_Harrington
    for the Championship of the
    @UPSLsoccer
    Division 1 Central Conference. Due to Covid, no spectators will be allowed inside the complex, however, you may pull up to the fence line and watch from the comfort of your own chair.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the match like? Who scored? Could you provide a run down, I would like to hear of a Houston team winning some trophy in the beautiful game!

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I do know that Houston lost 3-0, sorry.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The 2021 season of Major League Rugby will start on March 20, 2021. This is the 4th season.

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/major-league-rugby-releases-2021-season-launch-championship-date/

There will be 13 teams in the league for 2021 including the Houston SaberCats, Austin Gilgronis, and the new Dallas Jackals. All 3 will be in the Western Conference along with Utah, San Diego, LA, and Seattle. Teams will play 16 games across 18 weeks. The top two in each conference will make the playoffs. The league final will be on August 1.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Rockets' Russell Westbrook leaves $8,000 tip for bubble hotel staff, per report
    5:42 PM

On his way out of the NBA bubble in Orlando, Florida, Houston Rockets star Russell Westbrook wanted to show his appreciation for the housekeepers of the Grand Floridian hotel, and he did it with an $8,000 tip, according to the Dallas Morning News.

"They took great care of us," Westbrook told Bleacher Report, confirming the tip. "Took the time and energy to do their job at a high level. That was the right thing. I like to do the right thing."

Westbrook was unwilling to confirm the exact amount, but according to the Morning News, he left the hotel room "virtually spotless" -- as is standard with Westbrook, a known neat freak.

Generosity is a common thread with Westbrook, who won the 2014-15 NBA Cares Community Assist Award for his work in the community. He consistently gives back, whether through his Why Not? Foundation or his Honor the Gift clothing line.

Westbrook and the Rockets spent almost two months at the hotel...

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The 2021 Major League Rugby schedule is out:
    https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/major-league-rugby-announces-2021-season-schedule/

The regular season runs March 20 to July 18. The 6 team playoffs will follow with the final on August 1.

Here is the Houston Sabercats schedule.
    All the home games are set for 7 pm.

Sat. 3/20/21 - New England FreeJacks
    Sat. 3/27/21 - Seattle Seawolves

Sat. 4/03/21 - @austin Gilgronis
    Sat. 4/10/21 - San Diego Legion
    Sat. 4/17/21 - LA Giltinis
    Sun. 4/25/21 - @Old Glory DC

Sat. 5/01/21 - @Dallas Jackals
    BYE
    Sat. 5/15/21 - Rugby United NY
    Sat. 5/22/21 - Utah Warriors
    Sat. 5/29/21 - @rugby ATL

Sat. 6/05/21 - Austin Gilgronis
    Sun. 6/13/21 - @LA Giltinis
    Sun. 6/20/21 - @seattle Seawolves
    Sat. 6/26/21 - Dallas Jackals

Sun. 7/04/21 - @San Diego Legion
    Sat. 7/10/21 - @Utah Warriors
    BYE

23. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to making one of the early Sabercats' games.

Love that this rugby league is still expanding strongly despite the pandemic.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps backing our city's SaberCats is an ideal move here in 2021 as our city's teams are hitting all sorts of pot holes these days!!!

One of the best quarterbacks to ever play for our gridiron mad city looks to be unhappy on many levels with ownership and the building of the team around Deshaun Watson.
    https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-t...on-is-unhappy-with-texans-and-what-comes-next

Here is the metadata on our city's Texans starting Quarterback, who now is appearing to demand a trade away from our Texans, citing lack of progress for building a team and not listening to him on hiring a new coaching staff. All reasonable complaints considering what the man did for a very poor team, with an even worse offensive line to protect the man even though he lead the entire league in passing yards! Which is near mind boggling if one knows the sport and our O line as crap! Here is his bio:
    DeshaunWatson
    [​IMG]
    • HT/WT
      6' 2", 215 lbs
    • DOB
      9/14/1995 (25)
    • College
      Clemson
    • Draft Info
      2017: Rd 1, Pk 12 (HOU)
    • Status
      Active
    2020 season stats
    • YDS
      1st
    • TD
      Tied-7th
    • INT
      Tied-7th
    • QBR
      12th

Next up on how our city is suffering with our professional sports teams, there is this from the best wide receiver our city has ever had where Andre Johnson goes long on how our city's Texans FO treats our players.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...nson-says-qb-deshaun-watson-stand-ground-team

After that, there is our Houston Dynamo part owner James Harden of our city's Rockets, who has all of us Rockets fans watching our NBA team in freefall in the league. Stating last night himself that the team "is not good enough".
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...den-says-houston-rockets-just-not-good-enough

On to baseball and our city's Astros, one year on from the over hyped scandal on our city's Astros, here is this from ESPN.com today.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30692787/one-year-scandal-how-do-view-astros-next-mlb

No ice hockey news as our team was moved and it appears now that Seattle has the latest and most likely final expansion team, we will not get a team to support for some time now, if ever again.

So if our city's Dynamo were to ever have a window of opportunity post rebrand and with a new coach of status in the U.S. game, for the team to get back to winning and give our grieving city's sports fans some fresh air the time is now! What do y'all think of our city's current sports situation.

25. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    There’s still a chance, Houston gets a NHL club via relocation. Maybe more likely the Arizona/Phoenix Coyotes. I heard they’re still having problems in attendance and fan support.