Houllier attacks international friendlies

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by BrianCappellieri, Sep 4, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerNet

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Liverpool has lots of quality. It'll affect them but the world isn't going to end for the club.

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    At least he's allowing them to go, as opposed to some managers who claim their players have injuries yet still put them in the squad.

Dave

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey if a club doesn't want to have its players play international matches, maybe they shouldn't sign internationals. I have little patientence for managers who are always complaining about this, provided of course, the international managers are also respectful of the club schedule.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, I can totally get with him on this, but then I am a strict club before country type of chap. International football is a cute enough little sideshow and all that, but let's not forget where the bread and butter is to be found.

As to the problems that international friendlies land clubs with, you cannot argue against anything Houllier says - especially at Liverpool. How many times have they handed our players back broken? Jamie Redknapp more or less made a career out of GETTING injured with England and BEING injured with Liverpool.

If Steven Gerrard aggravates his ankle in a pointless friendly against Portugal and misses our opening Champions League game aginst Valencia (for instance) then how much patience will you have for Houllier's complaints about this.

6. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Club before country...always.

If Gerrard, Owen, Murphy, etc come back with an injury that keeps them out of even ONE match for LFC... :(

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I can understand World Cup qualifiers and World Cup warm up friendlies.
    But not...
    "Let's have a meaninglesss game against Portugal at the begining of the EPL season"

8. An excerpt from Gerard Houllier’s post-match press conference following the 2:2 draw with Birmingham City:

“We didn't deserve not to win tonight and I'm very disappointed. I hate these games after an international match. We had Emile Heskey, Sami Hyypia, John Arne Riise and Stephane Henchoz playing full games. This drains the players.”

Source: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/last_match/press_conf/