Hot Seat 2023-24

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ThePonchat, Jul 19, 2023.

1. TheCoach561

TheCoach561 New Member

United States
    Feb 7, 2023
    I agree but the school just went from D2 to D1 you have to invest resources, whats the point then just stay D2 then if you dont want to hire someone that can get you to a higher level

2. TheCoach561

TheCoach561 New Member

United States
    Feb 7, 2023
    I would throw Louie Rolko from Lake Erie in this mix as well with D2 guys, he was the preffered candidate at canisius but turned it down

3. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I was talking more about North Carolina State. I replied to LeMoyne post but should have been NC State. NC State expects to compete for ACC Championship but not sure they invest enough in soccer to do so so expectations without support.

4. blackandwhitesphere

United States
    Apr 28, 2019
    Marquette’s woman’s head coach is now no longer. Sounds like they are “moving in a different direction”. Is there a new AD or something?

5. BigGreenTruck

BigGreenTruck Member

College: The Thundering Herd of Marshall
    Aug 29, 2023
    South Charleston WV
    Few other D2 names Id put on there that I think would deserve a look if an AD is going to go that route. That would be Daniel Smee (University of Charleston) and Petsa Ivanovic (Barry University). Both Chris Grassie (Marshall) and Dan Stratford (WVU) cut their teeth at U Charleston.

6. Fudrucker

Fudrucker New Member

United States
    Dec 7, 2023
    There was reason for this. Actually 2 reasons who happen to live in his home.

7. soccerisit

soccerisit Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Drexel (11/16)
    Fairfield (11/29)
    Longwood (11/29)
    ETSU (12/8)
    New Hampshire (12/9)

FILLED
    Drexel - Mark Fetrow (Villanova associate head; 7/19-7/28)
    Old Dominion - Tennant McVea (ODU associate head; 8/15)
    Evansville - Robbe Tarver (Evansville interim HC - 10/9)
    Bradley - Tim Regan (Bradley assistant; 11/2-11/2)
    Villanova - Mark Fetrow (Drexel head; 11/16-11/16)
    Mount St. Mary’s - Brett Teach (VCU assistant; 11/2-12/1)
    North Florida - Jamie Davies (UCF associate head; 11/6-12/6)
    UAB - David Lilly (ETSU head; 11/7-12/8)
    NC State - Marc Hubbard (New Hampshire head; 11/3-12/9)
    Marquette - David Korn (Maryville head; 11/1-12/11)
    Le Moyne - Callum Donnelly (Le Moyne interim; 7/5-7/18-12/12)
    Grand Canyon - George Kiefer (former NC State head; 12/1-12/20)

Reminder here, I won’t update list until (if) anything is announced officially.

Fitballer repped this.
  9. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Happy for Coach Tim Regan at Bradley. He has been loyal, paid his dues and is a players coach. Best wishes for success.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  10. Grisdom

Grisdom New Member

Everton FC
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
  11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    Drexel (11/16)
    Fairfield (11/29)
    ETSU (12/8)
    New Hampshire (12/9)

FILLED
    Drexel - Mark Fetrow (Villanova associate head; 7/19-7/28)
    Old Dominion - Tennant McVea (ODU associate head; 8/15)
    Evansville - Robbe Tarver (Evansville interim HC - 10/9)
    Bradley - Tim Regan (Bradley assistant; 11/2-11/2)
    Villanova - Mark Fetrow (Drexel head; 11/16-11/16)
    Mount St. Mary’s - Brett Teach (VCU assistant; 11/2-12/1)
    North Florida - Jamie Davies (UCF associate head; 11/6-12/6)
    UAB - David Lilly (ETSU head; 11/7-12/8)
    NC State - Marc Hubbard (New Hampshire head; 11/3-12/9)
    Marquette - David Korn (Maryville head; 11/1-12/11)
    Le Moyne - Callum Donnelly (Le Moyne interim; 7/5-7/18-12/12)
    Grand Canyon - George Kiefer (former NC State head; 12/1-12/20)
    Longwood - Paul Gilbert (Indiana Tech head; 11/29-12/21)

Reminder here, I won’t update list until (if) anything is announced officially.

Fitballer repped this.
  12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    He's a good guy with experience with youth US soccer which could help. I wish him well and I hope he does well.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Fetrow is gonna be busy.

ThePonchat repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Villanova already acquired Cabrini University. Maybe they want a city campus too!

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  15. LimestoneKid

LimestoneKid Member

Edmonton Drillers
    Canada
    Dec 22, 2022
    Not a "hot seat" question but I don't see a relevant D3 thread to ask my question in.

What happened with John Bluem, former OSU HC, at Muskingum? Why did he only last one season?

16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    This story about his hire suggests that he took the job because they posted the job opening about a week before preseason was supposed to start and he felt bad for the program. Sounds like he mostly was doing them a favor for a season. The new (current) coach was announced in March of 2023, so Bluem must have stepped down soon after the end of the season (where they finished 2-14). It's one thing to step up at the last minute and coach a DIII team, but to do the job year-round requires a lot of hands-on work without a lot of full-time (or any) help from assistants, especially at a school like Muskingum.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/spor...-of-retirement-to-save-muskingum/69521049007/

By the way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a DIII thread. There's a whole separate board for DIII soccer discussion (https://www.d3boards.com/index.php?board=1522.0), but it's down currently and is basically running on what seems like the same software when it started in the 1990s or something like that. So, it's not always reliable.

LimestoneKid, fknbuflobo and Fitballer repped this.
  17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this. Basically.

Bluem essentially hand-picked the next coach, and the job is open again.

DIII is a nightmare to keep up with. No wonder the D3soccer site is shut down (or on hiatus). Incompetence all around from DIII athletic departments. If people want to critique hires and résumés, it’s almost nonstop at DIII schools. They don’t care about soccer, except for a handful of schools.

LimestoneKid, Benny Dargle and Fitballer repped this.
  18. BigGreenTruck

BigGreenTruck Member

College: The Thundering Herd of Marshall
    Aug 29, 2023
    South Charleston WV
    You could probably say that for every level of college soccer but I understand what you are saying. In IA I would say you have 50-65 programs that actually want to win. Marshall who I fallow is quite new to this group still. From 1979 to 2012 Marshall didn't have a proper pitch to play on and in that time frame had a whopping 12 winning or break even seasons. It wasn't until the AD Mike Hamrick unveiled a new soccer stadium in 2011 that things started to change and it wasn't until Chris Grassie was hired in Jan 2017 that the culture started to change.

No matter what level most ADs are happy and content as long as two things happen 1)The coach follows the rules of the NCAA and accumulates no violations and 2)The coach conducts himself the right way and causes no problems or unwanted attention for the university.

19. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do say it about all college divisions in regards to men’s soccer. It’s just even worse at DIII — as there are also tons more DIII schools than other divisions.

Womens soccer is the same. It really only gets some attention because of Title IX. Schools would love to have neither sport sponsored, if they could. Would save them a lot of headache and concern.

LimestoneKid repped this.
  20. Johnny_Drama

Johnny_Drama New Member

PSG
    France
    Mar 2, 2022
    How often has this happened in the past, a head coach leaving the school for a new job after 1 season? Jamie Clark comes to mind with his short stop at Creighton.

Although he had to move from Massachusetts, to Nebraska, to Washington, while lasting a lot longer (7 months) than Fetrow (3 and half months), comparatively.

21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    At many DIII schools -- not including the higher academic schools that are in demand by students -- and at many D1s that are small and really regional, as well as most DIIs and virtually all NAIA schools, there is a #3 for that list: 3) The coach hits his roster number of full tuition paying students.

For these schools, particularly if they don't have a football team, administrators like men's soccer because they can require large rosters and use it to drive enrollment, especially of male students, who are a declining percentage at many liberal arts colleges. #1 and #2 matter only because they could hurt #3 and enrollment/donations generally.

fknbuflobo and ThePonchat repped this.
  22. Fudrucker

Fudrucker New Member

United States
    Dec 7, 2023
    The freshness seal is broken

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1IOXGzOYAt/?hl=en

Fitballer repped this.
  23. TheCoach561

TheCoach561 New Member

United States
    Feb 7, 2023
    This one is a bit different because Fetrow was the #2 at Villanova for years and left for Drexel right before preseason and did very well and Carlin left so this one was inevitable

24. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ... and most likely Fetrow does not get the job from Villanova as the assistant, especially after a difficult year there.

RupertPupkin repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Todd Yeagley coached at Wisconsin for one season before the Indiana job "miraculously" opened up and he fulfilled his destiny.

Leonard Griffin spent the 2021 season at Grand Canyon (after two years at USF) before bolting for Berkeley.

Todd Saldana coached LMU men for one season, left for UCLA women, spent one season in that job and then replaced Sigi as the Bruins' men's coach.

I'm sure there are others but they are likely at schools with which we're less familiar. The reality is that most of the better college programs have very little turnover with their men's soccer coach.

UCLA has had 5 coaches since 1980. Sigi, Saldana, Fitzgerald, Salcedo and the current guy and that's a lot for a storied program. By comparison...

Clemson 3 (plus an interim) since 1967.
    UConn has had 3 since 1969.
    Indiana has had 3 coaches since 72, when the programs was founded.
    UNC has had 3 since 1977.
    Wake Forest - 3 since 1986
    Akron - 3 since 1993
    UVa has had 2 since 1978.
    Georgetown - 2 since 1984.
    Maryland - 2 since 1985
    Washington - 2 since 1992
    St. John's - 1 since 1991

These schools get a good coach, he does OK to very well and stays out of trouble and brings the occasional good PR story and a donation or 2 every few years and he's an AD's wet dream - part of his department he never has to worry about or pay attention to. In turn, the coaches get great job security and a decent salary and a green light for any project they can raise the money for. So if a job like that opens up, you jump at it, even if it means leaving a place you've been just a year or had some success on a smaller scale.

It's why folks leave established programs like UNH or Charlotte for struggling ones in a big conference like NC State or Stanford.