Hot seat 2022

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by The Big Dig, Oct 12, 2022.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    Cal Poly (10/18 - retirement)
    Rider (11/1 - retirement)
    Jacksonville (11/3)
    Georgia Southern (11/4)

FILLED:
    TBD

Fitballer repped this.
  2. The Big Dig

The Big Dig Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 25, 2020
    Looks like Bryant is open as well. No write up but it is listed and the previous HC is off the website.

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    Jacksonville (11/3)
    Georgia Southern (11/4)
    Bryant (11/8)
    Gardner-Webb (11/8)

FILLED:
    TBD

4. ManUinNC

ManUinNC New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    Yeah, he's spent 35 years there and they've been better the past few years than where they were about 6 or 7 years ago. Agree that something else has to be going on to not get to retire with a more dignified announcement than this.

6. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    Setzer always ran a very different program, just look at his rosters. But it looks like he ran into a new, young and ambitious AD

https://gwusports.com/staff-directory/andrew-goodrich/354

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    My guess is they probably asked him to retire and he said no. I smell "age discrimination" but who knows? Young gun wants his own guys.

ManUinNC repped this.
  8. ManUinNC

ManUinNC New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    Sandon Mibut, TimB4Last and Fitballer repped this.
  10. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
  11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    Jacksonville (11/3)
    Georgia Southern (11/4)
    Bryant (11/8)
    Gardner-Webb (11/8)
    Robert Morris (11/11)

FILLED:
    TBD

12. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it is possible, but for a coach to resign to spend time with his son...being nearly 2 hours away and the grind of DI coaching, it doesn't seem THAT likely to me.

He is a co-owner of Appalachian FC in Boone. Maybe his efforts go into that completely? But, who knows where his family (son) is located at in North Carolina that would force this relocation and refocus.

ManUinNC repped this.
  13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    Jacksonville (11/3)
    Georgia Southern (11/4)
    Bryant (11/8)
    Gardner-Webb (11/8)
    Robert Morris (11/11)
    Temple (11/13)

FILLED:
    TBD

Fitballer repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  15. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    Very good friends son just graduated from Temple, he could not get out of their fast enough. The school is in a tough neighborhood.

Also, both my sons played collegiately with players from Philly, Temple was never on their list. Plenty of other programs in Philly.

16. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Very tough gig! School in the inner city, and while the area has improved, still not the greatest area. They are in a conference with all southern teams with Bermuda grass while you are in the middle of the city on turf. A ripe recruiting area but convincing suburban kids to go to Temple is a challenge. Maybe get the right internationals and win over a Union Academy kid or a Jersey kid or two is probably the only formula. Going to be hard to beat out Penn State, Rutgers and all the other schools fighting for those kids. Maybe similar to Seton Hall although South Orange is a nicer place where Temple is...Not saying it can't be done but I don't think it can be done without a heavy international influence.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So Temple can have a nationally ranked program in rowing, one of the bougiest sports in college athletics, but it's too inner-city to have a good soccer program? If Temple can attract rowers, I suspect it could attract soccer players.

CaptainD repped this.
  18. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Rowing is a varsity club sport on the men's side so not an NCAA sport and scholarships are rare. There are only 39 Men's rowing teams in the country in Division I. The boat house is not on campus and is located on the Schuylkill River in a beautiful area near the art museum along Boathouse Row (see below). Philly and Boston have two of the best rowing traditions in the country. A very different animal than competing against 210 teams on turf in the middle of a dodgy neighborhood. Their last NCAA Tournament appearance was in 1985 and they'll soon be on their 5th coach since then. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just saying it will take someone special to out-recruit Penn State, Rutgers, Georgetown, MD for the local kids while going heavily international. If you do succeed, the coach will not be there long as has been the example in football since there is limited camp income. Succeed and move on. Seton Hall is a great model for them to follow although that area is in South Orange and is a lot nicer than Temple. I would think the best choice would be a successful Division II Head Coach who has international connections.

[​IMG]

First Time Finish and Fitballer repped this.
  19. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #47 PlaySimple, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Are you sure about that? The information at the link below shows that Men's Crew at Temple is an NCAA sport and the average scholarship awarded in 2020 was $28,376.

You could be right because men's rowing is actually sanctioned by the Intercollegiate Rowing Association but according to something else that I read, the IRA follows most NCAA rules when it comes to recruiting, at least.

I do know that Temple is affiliated with the IRA so it is really not a "club sport."

https://scholarshipstats.com/rowing

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowing is not an NCAA championship/sponsored sport for men, in any division. In many cases, rowing/crew is used to greatly balance Title IX requirements. Women’s rowing can have huge rosters and they get treated very well.

21. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    #49 collegesoccer, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    That would probably include any financial aid. I'm not sure what the full deal is when it comes to men's rowing. I know that scholarships are rare. In any case there are only 39 DIvision I rowing teams.

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN: