News: Hope Solo arrested for DWI, child abuse and endangerment

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Apr 1, 2022.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sad that this is not a surprise at all.

For a bit more context than the above article: "According to an arrest warrant, a passerby noticed Solo passed out behind the steering wheel for more than an hour with the vehicle’s engine running and the two children in the backseat. A responding officer could smell alcohol, and the warrant said that Solo refused a field sobriety test and her blood was drawn instead."

AP News article

It's not good, and the kids were in the car, but it doesn't sound like she was out on the road, endangering other drivers.

Kevin625 and JanBalk repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    She has children?

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, twins; I think they were born a couple of years ago.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, except that she got to that parking lot somehow. Unless she bought a six pack at the shopping center and pounded it in the car before starting home...

sitruc, bigredfutbol, BostonRed and 2 others repped this.
  6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US soccer ball of fame ceremony should be interesting this year…

7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't miss Hope Solo on the soccer pitch. I said years ago that she was a liability, not an asset. I haven't changed my mind.

ytrs repped this.
  8. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Exactly right. What you've suggested is certainly possible, but seems unlikely.

9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are 24 hour Walmarts a thing? Ours closes at 10PM but I’m not sure if North Carolina ones are different. She was detained around 1:00AM after someone noticed she was passed out with the engine running for almost an hour. I wonder if she might have stopped in the parking lot on the way home from something because she wanted to sleep it off overnight. Why she would do that with two 2 years in the back is a head scratcher though.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a very good person in terms of mistakes in her personal life but she’s still better than our starting keepers. I would make the argument that Casey Murphy might surpass Hope in legendary status if she keeps getting the start by Vlatko.

11. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    It's possible that she was driving... realized it was dangerous for herself, her children, other drivers, and pedestrians... and decided it would be safer for everyone to rest in the parking lot for a while. And then feel asleep. Or she decided that she'd sleep it off in the parking lot and that her young children would be fine. (I'm NOT saying that would have been a good decision, simply that she might have thought it was.)

But here's a question. If anything that you or I have written is on the mark... wasn't there anyone Hope Solo might have called to come and help? Or was she unable to realize that? Or ashamed to call for help?

Every bit of my speculation may be way off. But this seems like a disturbing story however you look at it.

McSkillz repped this.
  12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Many Super Walmarts are 24 hours, esp. in the South. Even if it was closed, there's usually workers and some traffic around all night long. They're not bad places to park if you need to sleep in a somewhat safe place.

This is what got my attention in the AP article:

Maybe she had a fight with her SO, left with the kids b/c she didn't feel safe? Driving after drinking is never a safe option, but at the time it could have been safer than the immediate alternative. My mom used to do this with me sometimes when my alcoholic dad would get violent.

Y'all, I don't even like Solo. Never have. But I'm sitting here thinking about the South and why a woman with twin 2-year-olds would end up passed out in a Walmart parking lot at 1 a.m. on a weeknight. It doesn't seem likely she'd have been at a party or even a restaurant at that time of night, not with toddlers in tow.

Obviously, I don't know for certain, but I don't think it was just her out having a good time and then trying to drive home.

kennytt, bigredfutbol, JanBalk and 3 others repped this.
  13. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    I've wondered about this. Certainly seems possible. If so, it raises the question: was there no where else to go? Was there no one she felt she could call? Was she too upset? Did she feel too embarrassed?

I'm very sorry that you and your mother went through what you've described. Horrible... and way too common.

bigredfutbol and Bonnie Lass repped this.
  14. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe all of her family are back in Washington state? It’s certainly bizarre circumstances and there’s a history of domestic violence between Solo and her husband Jeramy Stevens.

Bob Lamm and Bonnie Lass repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a clarification: many Walmarts in the South used to be 24/7, but after reducing their hours in 2020, most have not gone back to the old timings (some may have) and close at 11 pm or midnight. But, almost all Walmarts have a policy that their parking lots are available for free, overnight parking, whether you are in a RV or car (Normally, you won't get kicked out if you park there to sleep). So, that police came to wake her up in a Walmart parking lot must have been because the engine was running or because the passerby saw the kids in the car (or I guess that Walmart, in particular, could be an exception).

I agree that it seems there may have been some extenuating circumstances, and not that she had just partied hard with her kids and then passed out. Yet, regardless of what happened, she made some bad choices here (even if for a good reason), and that seems par for the course.

jnielsen, bigredfutbol and Bonnie Lass repped this.
  16. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I'm trying to comprehend what all she could have had to put her out for an hour. I'm trying to recall the last time I "passed out" from drinking and what I had put down the ole gullet. Seem to recall shine was involved along with copious amounts of beer and a campfire and a tent and someone helping me into said tent, eventually. I guess everyone is different. Sounds like with toddler's in toe, something was definitely going on with her out of the ordinary. From my stand point, beer alone, well, I would get too full before passing out from just beer.

Hmm, I see a challenging coming on.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the article says she "passed out", but I don't think we have to make the assumption that she actually passed out from heavy drinking. She could have had a couple of drinks and decided to sleep it off rather than continue to drive. We don't know her blood alcohol level, and nothing here that we know so far says that had to be the case.

I would say the above is also true if the speculation above is correct that she may be trying to go with a necessity defense (something like she was fleeing a dangerous situation while drunk and pulled over at the nearest safe place to wait/sleep). And she will need a defense: after doing the bare minimum of research on the law in NC, a DWI with a minor in the car (an aggravating factor) automatically carries a Level 1 punishment, which means "a fine up to $4,000 and a minimum jail sentence of 30 days and a maximum of two years."

However, "State law does allow for some departure from these penalties in certain cases. Under North Carolina General Statute § 20-179(g), a judge can reduce the minimum term of imprisonment for a Level One Punishment to a minimum of 10 days so long as a condition of special probation is that the alleged offender abstain from alcohol consumption and be monitored by a continuous alcohol monitoring system for not less than 120 days. The judge will also impose a requirement that the alleged offender obtain a substance abuse assessment and the education or treatment required for the restoration of a driver’s license and as a condition of probation."

Bonnie Lass and taosjohn repped this.
  18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Also, if this had happened in another season, she likely would have turned the engine off. I imagine it was running so they could stay warm. (Don't know which was the bigger factor in the DWI: The engine running or just having the keys in the ignition at all.)

blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonnie Lass, jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for her.

jnielsen repped this.