Hooliganism around the world

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by viscajunior, Nov 28, 2008.

1. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hello, Iam doing a project about Hooliganism and it consist on doing a campaing against this and I need to do a slogan, so I was asking if people here can give me ideas, your points of view and the roots of this problems in all the stadiums of the world, I want primary resources so thats why Iam doing it here, thank you very much.

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Unfortunately they're caused by a variety of things in every country (politics, race, class, thrill seeking, etc.) The only thing most of them have in common is being working-class. Picking one region might be a bit easier.

3. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Here in Holland:
    It is about who is the craziest. Which city gets the best name. Or which part of the city. Hate against eachother is mostly deep because of incidents of the past. They get better organized every year, because there is hardly any chance of fighting because of better police. If a firm from another city can walk around in a city where they will play, on the day from the match or the night before, that is an humiliation.
    Fighting in a stadium nowadays has not much to do with hooliganism, that are just emotions, because of an emotional game. Most of the hoolies aren't in the stadium because of stadium bans. Most of the hooligans here aren't people with scarfs and banners and don't create the athmosphere in the stadium.
    Mostly working class, but there are people from every class, depends on the city. Some city are richer, some poorer.

Our government had the slogan 'voetbal, verziek het niet' (Football, don't spoil it or Football don't screw it up), against painful chants like the wife of van gaal is a cancer whore (died of cancer) etc and riots .

4. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As Antonio mentioned, most of the hooliganism is brought on by national factors (or factors of nationality too ;) ). In Australia, particularly, there wasn't so much hooliganism as there was a deep passion (and immense hatred), between ethnic rivals in the old National Soccer League (now defunct).

For instance, one could always count on violence between a team of Croatians and Serbians. There would always be trouble between games of Makedonians and Greeks and likewise close-proximity teams would always play a little rough (Marconi and Sydney Croatia, for instance, who were only a few kilometres away from each other). Other than racial tensions, there wasn't much hooliganism in Australia.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    In continental Europe, hooliganism on the club level is a about a billion times worse than on the international level.

As Pablo pointed out, in the Netherlands, there are supporters groups who hate each other with a passion for reasons that the media often don't even know about. Nine years ago for example a Feyenoord fan stabbed a Twente fan in the back and the latter died. Ever since, there's a lot of bad blood between the clubs - these things are never forgotten about. I think all Dutch clubs have a certain 'rotten' element to them but that's hardly surprising - out of a random group of say 20,000 random non-football loving people, you'll find a couple of bad elements too. In my view there's no such thing as a specific hooligan type. These aren't all working class rowdy young men - there are fathers, professionals and students among them. Interestingly the Dutch riot police did research into how a group of ordinary citizens who'd never been to a football match would react to the atmosphere at a football match, and they simulated the environment. Turns out the match day atmosphere has everybody's adrenaline pumping, even that of the normally extremely docile people, and the situation is considerably worsened if the riot police try to monitor the situation aggressively, i.e. with dogs and the likes.

Overall in the Netherlands, a football match is not just a match on the pitch but also between the two groups of fans. It's about who sings the most, who has the most original songs, and overall, about who earns the most street cred in the Dutch supporters community. For some fans unfortunately, street cred also means violence, but even among hooligans, there's a code of respect. As a result there really isn't more violence at the football than on a normal saturday night out in the town.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Exactly. Hooligans don't even typically show what club they support.

What's made it more complex is that everybody communicates through messageboards these days with fans of different clubs 'helping each other out' if there's a possibility for trouble.