Honoring Eddie [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by I_Believe_In_Kreis, Oct 8, 2007.

1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday's game will be the last home game for Eddie Pope, the best American defender ever. While he'll probably be remembered (and go into the HOF) as a member of DC United, we shouldn't minimize the role he played for RSL. He's one of only a handful of players to be here all 3 years, and the only one to be a significant contributor the entire time, even though he was constantly criticized as being "past his prime."

We were blessed to have him here, folks.

I'm thinking the fans should do something special for him Monday to show our gratitude (also on behalf of any American soccer fan). Maybe a chant like we did when Kreis scored his 100th. Remember that? Each section can take a syllable in ED-DIE POPE, ED-DIE POPE. Or something like that.

I won't be in a position to organize anything, but some of you are quite good at putting things together.....I'm creating this thread so we have a place to throw out some ideas and get something organized. Thanks.

2. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Honoring Eddie

I think maybe some simple banners would be in order. Something like "Pope4HOF" or "Follow Pope" or "ThankUEddie" are pretty easy to do. Just get a long Red or Blue table roll and section it off then paint on using the gold-ish yellow of the crown for RSL. That would be really quick and easy. No more than 2 hours of work...

3. Stella FC

Stella FC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know that myself and my friend that has the seats next to me plan on all bring our Pope jerseys, both USA and RSL and hanging them in front of our seats with a "Thanks Eddie" banner. It will be up behind the North Goal or by our other friends seats directly above the NW corner flag. I think we will have 4 jerseys to hang up there.

4. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Will you folks please take some photos? I would love to see how this one turns out!

5. praxis

praxis Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ogden Ut
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I think the streamer salute is cool. If it happened before the game the grounds crew could clean them up and there wouldn't be a potential injury factor.

6. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

Does anyone know what (if anything) the Front Office has planned? DC United set the bar high last month at RFK with a well-produced highlight video & pre-match presentation. I trust Pope's current club will do no less.

7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

It would be nice to know but as it is now nobody seems to have any communication with the front office or if they do it isn't really relayed here.

Some banners honoring the man would be nice, something similar to DC

[​IMG]

but I'm affraid our supporter groups aren't vibrant enough to do things like this anymore.

8. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do we have supporters groups any more? All I could hear during the last game was the Chivas supporters groups. I never once heard of the the usual cheer from the RCB.

9. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

How 'bout something simple like:
    "Thank you, Eddie, clap clap clap-clap-clap" with the same cadence as the near-famous "Magic Water Chant"?

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I sent a email to the FO about this. I'll let you know what the reply is.

11. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT

I won't be at the game, but I hope you guys do something worthy of The Pope.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Supposively RSL is coming out with a press release today (?) regarding the Oct. 15 game and honoring Pope.

13. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Yeah, like: "Get your $100 tickets now to see Eddie Pope's last game! Chance of a lifetime!" :rolleyes:

14. Steiner

Steiner New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Cottonwoods, UT

I like this idea. Brilliant!!

15. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

As I was flippin' through the channels last night, (I should have been doing homework….) I came upon FSC’s David Beckham show and there was a segment honoring Eddie Pope. It showed highlights from his career including, of course, his smashing Golden Goal header that sealed the Cup for DC all those years back. Jason Kreis had some kind words for him, as well as some others that had played with and/or coached him.

His career has been wonderfully successful. Who will fill his shoes as the best American defender? Rather large shoes to fill, indeed.

I believe you can watch it if you go to MLSNet.com. It is towards the end of the program.

Just throwin’ that out there.

16. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am hoping Gooch can improve some and become a steady force back there. He has got the size, just needs to improve on some aspects and I think he could be great.

17. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

FYI: the Pope segment is isolated & cue'd up at RSLFM.com now too. Good stuff for Eddie fans.

18. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks RSLFM.

19. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_ne...ent_id=122724&vkey=pr_rsl&fext=.jsp&team=t121

20. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was really good stuff. Thanks for finding that.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States