Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Here's another dilemma facing Jorn: Who would you pick to be the #1 goalkeeper going into the Asian Cup? Would you stick with Yapp, or let Tse play the next few matches to see if he can be the #1?

Assuming Jorn won't be crazy enough to consider starting Paulo....

2. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would predict that Andersen is more likely to stick with Yapp Hung Fai considering that he is the most capped international at senior level. But I could see the likes of Tse Ka Wing being used maybe perhaps during the 2022 Asian Games football event and maybe during the home leg of the Bhutan game.

As for Paulo, he only has another season or two left before I predict he will probably call time on his career and I do not see him challenge neither Yapp, Tse or Ng for the goalkeeping #1 spot.

Speaking of the upcoming 2022 Asian Games football event, here is the finalised squad:

[​IMG]
    • As expected, Leung Nok Hang, Vas Nunez and Shinichi Chan will not feature and are replaced by North District's Jordan Lam Lok Kan, Lee Man's Wu Chun Ming and Rangers' Li Ngai Hoi. Guangxi's Matt Orr still retain's his spot as one of the three overaged players.
    • Nine of the players that were part of the recent AFC U23 qualifiers are in the squad.
    [​IMG]
    In other news, KC Southern signed 24 year old Hong Kong-Italian goalkeeper Leonardo Costa to the club.

3. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hong Kong Premier League:

Kitchee Vs Lee Man:

A heavy defeat for the 2022/23 Hong Kong Premier League champions as Lee Man cruised past Kitchee with goals from Henri Anier, Paulino and Everton Camargo, although Juninho did pull a goal back but it wasn't enough.

Chairman Ken Ng responded to the club's heavy defeat:

1703077085785550965 is not a valid tweet id

Hong Kong Football Club Vs Sham Shui Po SA:

Two sides that have yet to win this season met during today's clash. However, it was Hong Kong Football Club who prevailed after new signing Domonic Johns scored gave them the win. Sham Shui Po did have many opportunities but could not capitalise on the chances even though I felt that the only player who made the effort was Nicholas Benavides.

4. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

In any case Jorn Andersen and the team has arrived in Hangzhou in preparation for the Asian Games tournament.

6. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is now rumoured that Hong Kong and Uzbekistan will play each other twice on 22 and 25 Sep in the Asian Games.

Uzbekistan U22 just beat Hong Kong U22 10:0 in the 2024 AFC U23 Championship qualifier, even Iran U22 lost to them 0:1. So the idea of playing them twice sounds bad for us.

7. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be fair, Szeto Man Chun was in charge of the Hong Kong U22 during the 2024 AFC U23 Championship qualifiers and he was tactically inept throughout the game against the Uzbekistan U22.

I do hope that Jorn Andersen will try and put on a better display against Uzbekistan even though it will not be an easy task.

It is a shame that both Syria and Afghanistan decided to withdraw and I am sure that this is not exactly what both the Hong Kong U22 team and Jorn Andersen would had wanted even though they are guaranteed a place in the Round of 16.

8. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A few players and tactical changes will not turn a bad team into a good team. Even Iran U22 lost 0-1 to this Uzbekistan U22 team, so for Hong Kong, they would be doing amazingly well just to keep the score down. Especially in the final minutes as the players tire.

I believe Uzbekistan will use a lot of their second string players for the 2 match ups.

9. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Jeonbuk Motors 2:1 Kitchee

Jeonbuk were the deserved winners as Kitchee was quite a mess. But a spectacular and lucky goal by Mikael gave Kitchee a valuable goal.

To be fair, the match was played in pouring rain and I am a little surprised the referee did not stop the match. The players' performances must have been hampered by the conditions. So maybe Kitchee was lucky to get away with a small defeat.

[​IMG]

This must be one of the goals of the year. I know it was a fluke but it was still pretty amazing from Mikael.

10. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    https://www.scmp.com/sport/football...d-feelings-over-making-knockout-stage-without

Asian Games 2023: Hong Kong boss Andersen has mixed feelings over making knockout stage without kicking a ball

Afghanistan and Syria’s decision to withdraw means Hong Kong and Uzbekistan are automatically into the round of 16

But with Uzbekistan tipped to win a medal, and Japan, Qatar or Palestine up next, Hong Kong could be in for a tough few days in Hangzhou

Hong Kong boss Jorn Andersen said there were pros and cons to his side qualifying for the knockout stages of the Asian Games without kicking a ball, as he admitted his team might fail to win a single game in Hangzhou.

Afghanistan and Syria’s withdrawal from Group C leaves Hong Kong and Uzbekistan to play each other twice, with the only thing at stake a marginally better draw in the next round.

The first of those matches takes place at the Shangcheng Sports Centre Stadium on Friday evening, and Andersen said he had been happy to have the extra days to prepare his team, given his side’s first game was supposed to have been against Syria on Wednesday.

“We didn’t have much preparation with this team before, only had one training session on Sunday in Hong Kong,” the 60-year-old Norwegian said. “I am happy to have these two days to train and to prepare the team better for the important game.”

Uzbekistan though are clear favourites, and with four players from the squad that reached the last 16 of the Fifa U-20 World Cup in Argentina earlier this year, some consider then gold medal contenders.

“They are very strong, technically and physically good, so it will be a hard match,” Andersen said. “But we have to try to play more aggressively against them, we need to attack more, rather than sitting back and defend.

“We need to push them, and if we do, perhaps we have a better chance to have a better performance.”

And despite already getting into the last 16, Andersen admitted to having “mixed feelings” over a situation that leaves his team facing three tough matches.

“We hoped we could play against Syria and Afghanistan, teams that we can compete against,” he said.

“But the sudden changes probably mean it’s going to be difficult for us to win a match in this tournament because we will likely play against some really strong teams [in the knockout stage].

“It’s both a good and bad thing because there is not so much pressure, knowing that we will still be in the competition even if we lose both games, but the bad things are we may have to play against strong teams we cannot compete with.”

Losing both games would mean Hong Kong facing one of Japan, Qatar or Palestine next Wednesday, but striker Matthew Orr was unconcerned about who came next.

“To have the opportunity to play in the knockout stage of the Asian Games is very special, it’s never a guarantee,” he said. “But if we have the chance to play in one, why not go for it 100 per cent?

“We are not looking at it too much right now because we have two games before to prepare for the knockout stage, but it’s definitely a good thing for Hong Kong football.”

Orr, who plays for China League One side Guangxi Pingguo Haliao, is one of the three overage players in the city’s squad, and the 26-year-old said with that came more responsibility.

“Being one of the older players, it’s my job to be a leader, on and off the pitch,” he said. “I just tried to instil the right focus and mentality for this game.

“It’s a big challenge but one that excites us, in football anything can happen as long as we are confident, I know what I am capable of if I perform on the pitch.”

Hong Kong’s previous best Games result was a quarter-final finish in 1958. Since sending the city’s under-23 team to the Games in 2002, Hong Kong have reached the last 16 in the past three editions, but failed to progress beyond that.

======================================================

Maybe we should have taken Singapore, Syria, Afghanistan and Macau's examples and not play in the Asian Games. Macau's non participation means there is no pressure from the mainland and it is not a must for HKFA to send its team.

11. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL

Lee Man 5:0 HK U23

Kitchee 2:0 Rangers FC

Yumemi missed a crucial penalty for Rangers. Jantzcher scored his first goal for Kitchee. It was popular Rangers' player Jean-Jacques Kilama's last match before retirement. Kilama is also a naturalized Hong Kong player and used to play for HK NT. Many fans chanted his name at the 55 minute (as he was wearing no. 55).

12. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Asian Games football

Hong Kong 1-2 Uzbekistan

Hong Kong lost 1-3 to Uzbekistan and will progress to last 16 and face Palestine on Wednesday night at 7:30.

13. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A 36-man preliminary squad had been named for the upcoming 2026 World Cup/2027 Asian Cup qualifiers against Bhutan:

Goalkeepers

LEUNG Hing Kit (BC Rangers), YAPP Hung Fai (Eastern), DA SILVA ARGOLO Paulo Cesar (Kitchee), TSE Ka Wing (Tai Po)

Defenders

LI Ngai Hoi (BC Rangers), LILLEY NUNEZ Vasudeva Das (Dalian Professional), WONG Tsz Ho (Eastern), Andrew James RUSSELL, AZEVEDO PEDREIRA Fernando Augusto, CHAN Shinichi, GERBIG Oliver Benjamin, GONCALVES Helio Jose De Souza (Kitchee), TSUI Wang Kit, YU Wai Lim (Lee Man), YUE Tze Nam (Meizhou Hakka), LEUNG Nok Hang (Zhejiang FC)

Midfielders

LAM Hin Ting (BC Rangers), YU Jesse Joy Yin (Eastern), HUANG Yang, TAN Chun Lok (Kitchee), JU Yingzhi (Kwoon Chung Southern), NGAN Lok Fung, WONG Wai, WU Chun Ming (Lee Man), NGAN Cheuk Pan (Sham Shui Po), CHAN Siu Kwan Philip (Tai Po)

Forwards

LAU Chi Lok (BC Rangers), SUN Ming Him, WONG Ho Chun Anson (Eastern), UDEBULUZOR Michael Chibuikem (FC Ingolstadt 04), ORR Matthew Elliot Wing Kai (Guangxi Pingguo Haliao), LAW Tsz Chun, POON Pui Hin (Kitchee), MAHAMA Awal (Kwoon Chung Southern), CAMARGO Everton, CHANG Hei Yin (Lee Man)

Rangers's Lau Chi Lok earns his first senior national team call up.

14. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Asian Games football - Hong Kong Vs Palestine - 1:0

Matthew Orr scored the only goal that gave Jorn Andersen and the Hong Kong team a win against Palestine and advanced to the quarter final stages for the first time in their history.

They will face Iran in the quarter final stages.

15. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Tse Ka Wing, Ellison Tsang, and Matt Orr deserve a special shout! Several other very solid players too, Wu Chun Ming had a great time. Wonderful effort from the team. I hope to see more of them make the senior team.

dez112 repped this.
  16. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tse Ka Wing was one of the players who stood out with a string of brilliant saves and Matthew Orr's goal was very well setted up.

Will say that this is one of the best matches from the U24/U23 team I have seen so far this year.

17. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Asian Games Football - Hong Kong Vs Iran - 1:0

Hong Kong had created history as they stunned Asian giants Iran during the quarter finals as Poon Pui Hin scored the only goal that sends Jorn Andersen's side to the semi-finals for the first time where they will play against Japan.

Will say that players from Tse Ka Wing, Alex Jojo, Matt Orr, Li Ngai Hoi, Wu Chun Ming, Ellison Tsang, Anson Wong and Poon Pui Hin had all impressed throughout the match.

Angsa and Suburbia repped this.
  18. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This was an amazing achievement by the Hong Kong U23 football team. The HK Olympic Council and Sports Institute place huge importance on Olympic Games and Asian Games results. If the team could go on to achieve a top 3 finish it could have huge impact on funding and other support for the game at home.

It is such a shame the semi-final against Japan will be held just hours before Kitchee vs Lion City Sailors at HK Stadium. Hopefully it will not impact the attendance figures.

Anyway it will be a huge boost for HKNT's upcoming home match on 12 Oct against Bhutan. HKFA should be selling the tickets NOW.

dez112 repped this.
  19. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I completely forgot that Kitchee's AFC Champions League match is going to be on the same day as Hong Kong's Asian Games semi final fixture.

In addition, Tse Ka Wing, Li Ngai Hoi, Wu Chun Ming, Lam Hin Ting, Jesse Yu Joy Yin, Chang Hei Yin, Poon Pui Hin, Sun Ming Him and Matt Orr who had all participated in the Asian Games were already named in the senior team preliminary squad are going to be in great shape and form for the Bhutan matches (depending if they are going to be selected.)

I would like to see Andersen consider adding Alex Jojo and Ellison Tsang to the list considering that they did really well so far throughout the Asian Games.

Jahangir Khan who was sent off against Uzbekistan travelled back to Hangzhou to link up with the squad having made his Hong Kong Football Club debut a few days ago.

It is also interesting to see that I noticed that Sun Ming Him occupied the left back position throughout the Asian Game fixtures which somewhat seem to work well for him. I don't know if this is something Jorn Andersen might possibly consider for the senior team considering that he will have to contest with Fernando and maybe Shinichi Chan.

Other than that, even though it is hard to predict the result against Japan which is going to be tough, I do hope that Hong Kong can maintain their passion, drive, ambition and motivation that they had with the Palestine and Iran fixtures and who knows what will happen tomorrow?

20. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Asian Games Football Semi-Final - Hong Kong Vs Japan - 0:4

Despite the amount of motivation by Hong Kong, they could not keep the momentum going after they were beaten by a well structured and organised Japan.

Even though they miss out on the finals, they will play for the bronze medal play off within a few days either against South Korea or Uzbekistan.

22. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Asian Games Football Bronze Medal Play Off - Hong Kong Vs Uzbekistan - 0:4

It just wasn't to be for Jorn Andersen's Hong Kong team as they finished fourth place in the bronze medal play-off.

Even though this is still the team were still able to reach the semi-final stages especially where they stunned Palestine and Iran for the first time in their history, this has already been a major achievement for them.

Despite missing out on the bronze medal, I am sure that the boys have really given all their effort and I do hope that they can continue to learn and make further progress within the future of the men's national football team in which I do hope some of the players featured in the Asian Games will be given an opportunity to play in this month's fixtures against Bhutan.

23. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2799 dez112, Oct 8, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    The final squad to play against Bhutan:

[​IMG]

• Six players who had featured within the Asian Games were named that consist of Tse Ka Wing, Li Ngai Hoi, Wu Chun Ming, Matthew Orr, Sun Ming Him and Poon Pui Hin.
    • Kitchee's Oliver Gerbig who had missed out on the final squad several times finally makes the cut.
    • However there is no place for Huang Yang, Tsui Wang Kit and Leung Nok Hang as they all miss out.
    What are everyone's thoughts on this squad to face against Bhutan?

Suburbia repped this.
  24. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Going to guess that Leung Nok Hang was left out due to injury/club not releasing him, hard to imagine him getting dropped after 1 poor match as some on Twitter have suggested. He would not be dropped in favor of players like Andy Russell.

Happy to see Li Ngai Hoi back after a wonderful tournament, hope he has regained his confidence!

Big question: Where and how will Sun Ming Him be deployed? We seem to be in an era where Shinichi Chan plays as left wing while Sun is deployed as a left back. My guess is Sun becomes a super sub, and Jorn deploys him anywhere on the left depending on how the starters are playing.